Simple way to detect power out

This is a quick and easy project to detect when power is out. This is only useful for detecting a single branch circuit unless you have backup power for your internet and ST hub then you could use it for notification on your main power. This project takes around 30 minutes with all the parts ready. You will need a usb adapter, usb cable, 5Vdc relay, a z-wave door/window sensor (GoControl or Monoprice) and some soldering.
This is very similar to the leak detector project except there is a relay in between the 2 wires. I used the Normally closed contacts when power on and opened when no power.
This is a copycat of a similar device on Amazon so you can also buy it there. Not sure what inside that device but I would imagine it’s the same.

12 Likes

Found this for those that are looking for it on Amazon.

1 Like

Hi @Stroh, I’m using that “Z-Wave Power Outage (Contact) Sensor” for several months now and it works great (as expected).
I’ve tried other options but this was the best so far. Just FYI :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’m trying the Aeotec Smart Switch 6 route. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

don’t understand what you using for the “package” or packaging
I want to do the same exact thing but using iHome Control devices
I use leak detectors for Sump Level alarms
i need to know if the Sump Level HI alarm is because of a pumping failure or a electrical outage
input?

Navat604, think your simple power detector will work for me and garage fridge but pre-built device no longer available on Amazon and although I’m pretty handy have never tried your type of “project”. I can’t tell from sensor picture exactly how all the red and black wires are ran/soldered. Could you share a little more. Also am have no luck locating the 5Vdc relay thanks to my inexperience with such devices. Thanks.

I used this relay hooked up to a ZWave sensor with external contacts. It works well.

1 Like

May I ask:

1. What ZWave sensor did you use?
  2. Could you share a picture showing how you wired it?

Thanks again,

Doug

Paul - I want to build the same thing to detect power outage (yes, I have a UPS on my ST hub & router. Also have whole house generator). Did you get a response from Navat604 or have any success building one yourself? Thanks

Depend on what contact sensor you are using. The Ecolink sensor doesn’t need a relay. See this post.

If anyone’s considering putting a solution like that together, we created a DIY Power Outage Monitoring Kit using the Ecolink door sensor and it’s available here: