Set Color of Hue Bulbs without turning on?

…and also, do you know of a listing of hue/sat values for the ‘default’ colours e.g the color that the bulbs default too?

Use a CoRE piston. There is a whole thread devoted to the app. CoRE for Dummies (How to get started and make your first Piston)

Pretty intuitive for simple stuff, after that, there is help available.

Setting just the Hue/Sat will change the lights that are on, and not change the ones that are off.

The way I do it is to log into the IDE https://graph.api.smartthings.com and look at the device itself. The most reliable method I know of.

Is it definitely possible to pass an array of the lights that were on to a clause like ‘using’?

Certainly. I have a couple of 'Macro" settings pistons that group the lights together. They just have to be the same type for the control you want. (Don’t group together switches and dimmable with RGB/W if you want to change hues.)

New photo by Glenn Brockett

You COULD check for each one to be sure it is on, but if you are acting on a “CHANGES” trigger, usually only 1 would be called for the change. This is why I like the hue/sat setting. it doesn’t change the level on any light, just the hue and saturation levels.

Thanks for your patience and continued help!

So a few things here:-

1\ Let’s say we have 4 bulbs : Bulb A, B,C,D
2\ A,B are on C and D are off
3\ I turn on bulb D, C remains off
4\ A rule that says

If ANY [bulb A, B,C,D] changes to on
set [whichever bulb it was that changed to on] to have SAT/HUE values of X

It’s the [whichever bulb it was that changed to on] that I don’t understand how to achieve, because the THEN clause always wants a discreet, set of bulbs to be selected, so I’d end up instead achieving:

If ANY [bulb A, B,C,S] changes to on
set [Bulbs A,B,C,D] to sat/hue

…and wouldn’t that result in bulb C turning on as well, which I wouldn’t want?

OK, I reread what you wrote.

So I’m right in so far as it would set the hue and sat across all bulbs but it wouldn’t turn on because you are saying that doesn’t alter the level.

So, in this case, why would I use changes? Wouldn’t I just set all bulbs to have a particular sat/hue at a specific time?

You could also have a schedule that changes the lit bulbs at a time. Similar program. However the ones that are off at the time change would not be updated until they are turned on.

So - some success!

Changing the hue/saturation seemed to still turn on the lights that were off.

In the end I’ve created a piston that checks each bulb individually - if it is on it changes the tempreature. This is triggered by my ‘night’ mode.

I saw some odd behaviour though, sometimes not all bulbs would change. I disabled command optimisations and now it seems to work reliably!

1 Like

Hello! I know this is an old thread but I was looking for a solution on the same problem.
After trial and error I created the following piston in Webcore and it works perfectly.

Cheers!

1 Like

Is it possible to add in a fade effect to these commands? I want to change my light’s temperature and brightness throughout the day smoothly.