Samsung Smart Home New Design

(Bobby) #1

Is it just me, or Samsung is getting ready to merge SmartThings app with their old smart home app? Their newly revamped design looks all too familiar.

(Brian R) #2

I hope this new design includes another companies hub technology for when theirs fails for 3 days in a row.

(Geko) #3

It looks more like B2B solution, rather than consumer offering.

The Smart Home Cloud API provides methods to control and monitor Samsung Smart Home devices. Through this Smart Home Control Service, a partner’s application can connect with various devices and provide enhanced services to their customer.

Smart Home Control Service operates through Cloud-to-Cloud integration between the Partner Cloud and Smart Home Cloud.

http://developer.samsung.com/smart-home]

Taking a closer look at this, definitely this service uses SmatThings hub as a getaway into the customer’s home not only to pull all sorts of information about their appliances, but control them as well.

So if anyone had any doubts how Samsung is going to monetize SmartThings, I think they can be put to rest now.

Discovery
A partner can obtain a list of all of Smart Home devices registered to a specific user. It contains detailed information such as type, name, model, version and resources.

Sensing
A partner can query information about the status of a specific device. The Sensing API provides the latest resource status of a specific device.

Subscription
A partner can register for notification of changes in Smart Home device and then receive the data in real time.

Notification
If Samsung Home Cloud detects change in device status, it sends the notification and status data to partners.

Control
A partner can control a specific device using the Control API of the Smart Home Cloud.

How does ST make its money?

I may be mistaken, but this looks to me like the way a third party developer would develop an app for a Samsung phone or Samsung TV to control Samsung smart appliances. Essentially like SmartTiles, but through a formal partnership program.

It doesn’t look like a monetization of the SmartThings hub to me, or even that the hub necessarily has to be involved.

Pretty much the same thing Philips does for the Hue bridge to allow thirdparty app development.

But maybe I misread it.

(Geko) #5

That may be one example, but the platform they’re building has much wider scope, imo. This is definitely looks like a PaaS business solution that will allow Samsung to monetize data acquired via SmartThings platform.

Pretty much the same thing Philips does for the Hue bridge to allow thirdparty app development.

Nope. Hue is open to the public. This is pure B2B solution that requires partnership agreement. Huge difference.

P. S. This is a quote from Samsung press release dated January 2014, i.e. before SmartThings acquisition (http://www.samsung.com/us/news/22331).

Samsung also plans to expand the Smart Home service to cover home-energy, secure home access, healthcare, and eco home applications through the partnerships with third-party service providers in these sectors, helping foster joint commercial opportunities and grow the connected home service marketplace.

Led by Mr. Hong, Samsung established an internal organization in the middle of last year —called the Smart Home Steering Committee—to align all of the company’s product groups, including its R&D arm, behind the Smart Home platform and co-ordinate the development of innovative services and commercial partnerships around the service.

So the steering committee was established in the middle of 2013 and probably decided they’d get more bang for the buck acquiring SmartThings than developing technology in house.

Hue API is free, but it isn’t “open to the public.” You have to sign the developer’s agreement, which puts you under their TOS.

As far as “bang for the buck,” Samsung has continued with their own IOT projects, including all the Tizen stuff, SAMIio (which uses the SmartThings name for one piece, but their own technology), ARTIK, Samsung Digital Health, Samsung smart locks (which are Bluetooth) and even a new z-wave based security system sold in Korea (which notably does not use any ST technology). They leveraged the name, yes, but not the technology.

I agree they have plans for some kind of service (SAMIio is a big part of those plans), but that doesn’t mean ST 's architecture is a piece of that.

We’ll see.

(Geko) #7

Don’t mean to be nitpicking, but Hue API is open to the public. You need to be a registered user, but there’s no application, no fee, and no approval process. To prove to yourself that it’s apples and oranges, try to get access to Samsung Smart Home API. (With all due respect).

As far as “bang for the buck,” Samsung has continued with their own IOT projects

Sure, mega-corporations like Samsung never put all eggs in one basket. Besides, we’ve heard stories about internal rivalries at the highest level of Samsung managements and skepticism about SmartThings acquisition from some executives. We’ll see.

OK, fair enough. It may have higher barriers. My point is just that with the exception of the mobile app control screens, I’m not seeing any engineering from the ST side included in the SmartHome offering demos, even the ones from a few months ago.

https://blog.samsungsami.io/data/rules/iot/2015/11/03/with-sami-the-connected-home-is-now-a-reality.html

But who knows? The TV offering will be interesting.

(Geko) #9

You’re referring to SAMI, which I believe have nothing (or very little) to do with Samsung Smart Home initiative. Somehow I feel that SAMI is a failed effort by Samsung to develop their own solution, which is being quickly replaced by SmartHome/SmartThings. It’s curious that November 3 2015 blog entry you’ve referenced shows SmartThings Version 1 mobile app, two month after Version 2 was publicly released.

Not sure when it was made, but I believe the SmartHome with SAMI demo video was first released in August 2015, which would account for the screens. The blog entry from November repurposed the video.

SAMI is still a very active project. Key to Simband, Artik, and a lot of other things. Team present at CES2016 this month where Simband was a featured display. Active developer program.

https://blog.samsungsami.io/topics/iot/

(Geko) #12

BTW, Dr. Won-Pyo Hong, who was the President of Media Solution Center and spearheaded Samsung Smart Home in 2014, currently holds the title of the President of Solution Business Unit, Samsung SDS.

There isn’t a lot of public information about SAMI project. It’s not clear who leads it and what its goal is. It was featured at 2014 Samsung Developer Conference in connection with Samsung Digital Health (SDH) Platform, which was nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to Apple’s HealthKit announcement, but that’s about it. Seems like a side show to me.

Simband and ARTIK are all fine R&D projects, but they’re not money makers, not yet at least. The biggest revenue comes from the appliances business. This leads me to believe that Samsung has big plans for SmartThings not just as a differentiating feature, but also as a business opportunity to sell services to third parties via its Smart Home platform.

(John) #13

If you look at devices it has Samsung fridge, range, etc. I added a virtual device and when open, it tries to open Samsung home.