Samsung SleepSense

It requires Bluetooth. The Bluetooth antenna in the v2 hub has never been enabled. So my guess is they’ve held it back because of that. The user manual is still on the Samsung site.

does anyone but you exist on this message board? lol. that’s silly though. it doesn’t have to work with smartthings to be sold. and if the intention was to use it with smartthings, why on earth is bluetooth not enabled in one, or the prerequisite of the other? incredibly frustrating.

When it was first announced, a few weeks before the V2 hub came out, it was described as the first sensor designed specifically to work with SmartThings.

That makes SleepSense the first device that Samsung has designed specifically for use with SmartThings.

So while it doesn’t have to (and in fact if you live in Europe and are OK with one that doesn’t integrate with ST you can just buy the Beurer version, which licenses the same underlying sensor technology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beurer-SE80UK-SleepExpert-Sleep-Sensor/dp/B01EJIMKT2

), Samsung made a big deal out of the SmartThings connection, and it’s mentioned prominently in all of their documentation for it, including the user manual linked to above.

As for Bluetooth… It was announced for the V2 hub and in fact there is a Bluetooth antenna in the V2 hub, but it’s not turned on. It definitely is odd,because why pay to put one in the hub if you’re not going to use it?

But there is one industry theory about that. Lowes Iris announced in a public call in January that although their hub has a Bluetooth antenna, they are not going to turn it on until the Bluetooth mesh standard has been finalized. It’s possible that Samsung has made the same decision.

Ask @Tyler, he has been testing one, not sure if it’s with the ST v2 hub which, if yes, means he has a BT enabled radio on his ST hub :stuck_out_tongue:

This is also on my list of things to buy. Samsung?

Well, I won’t slander smartthings out loud or in writing, but wtf

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201603/20160325093215616/Samsung_SLEEPsense_User_Manual_ver-1_0.pdf

Is this available or not?

2 Likes

Nope. Atleast not in Us

Interesting… Thanks for the link. Two things:

1. “Communication: Bluetooth Low Energy” - SmartThings would need to enable the BT radio on the ST hub for it to work first.

2. “Thickness: 2 – 15.75” (5 – 40 cm), Type: Innerspring, hybrid, foam, pillow top, memory foam, latex (Other than above not guaranteed)” - @Tyler, I thought you said it was only for spring mattresses!

To the best of my knowledge, the SleepSense integration will be cloud-to-cloud

Yeah, it could work exactly the same way the Jawbone UP24 integration did. Bluetooth sensor talks to the phone app for that sensor; after that it’s cloud to cloud.

It’s not pretty, but it could work.

2 Likes

Has there been an official release date for this set yet?

1 Like

The SLEEPsense (SS) appeared on Amazon months ago, but hasn’t been available. I kept it in a Smart Home list I maintain, and check it often to see if the prices have changed on anything, or availability. This past week (Tuesday), I got a notification the SS was available, shipping/sold by Amazon, and looked at my list to see about 20 units remaining. Oddly, I could only see it in my list, and got a “sorry” page when I clicked on the item link (which still is the case today, even when clicking from my order page), which did go to the item page before this week. I went ahead and added it to my cart, completed the purchase, and the SS arrived this past Thursday.

The SS works independently from ST, using a standalone app and providing all the sleep info. The app was just released on 9/1, so obviously the product is following close after. Once the app is setup (which found and connected the SS without issue), it can be added to ST through the settings. Once done there, it was available in the ST app, and I added it to the bedroom location.

I was concerned it wouldn’t work through my Queen 12" Tempurpedic foam mattress, per the prior posts. Good news is that it does work. It doesn’t detect me instantaneously when I lie down, but does after a short time, picking up my heart-rate and breathing. I already know I don’t sleep well (now I have a device to confirm that; LOL), but I didn’t think it was as bad as I’ve gotten reported over the past two nights. I had a score of 42 and 38 so far. That could be due to the mattress, so I’m going to get a mattress topper and see if it works differently… I haven’t configured any Smart Apps to use it yet. There are two people in the bed, with the sensor placed under my side, and it doesn’t detect when she’s there. I’m usually to bed later, and up earlier. If the SS continues to detect separately under a topper (and works better), I may get a second and place on her side as well, so she gets the reporting as well. She’s the one who typically has the TV on and falls asleep watching it, so will be cool to automate the shutoff down the road (it’s a 2016 Samsung 6-series, so will have ST integration as a “thing”, which isn’t available yet, last I checked). Hope this info was helpful.

Interesting, I do see it when I search google for samsung sleepsense amazon but not when I go to amazon and search for sleepsense. Not sure why that is happening. Thanks for the information.

One other question, from what I’ve read you can have it control smartthings “things” when you fall asleep, have you tried that or know if it’s possible?

I haven’t set any up yet, but from what I see, under the “Health & Fitness” smart app section, there is Confort Sleep app, which let’s you dim or turn off lights after you fall asleep. The sensor reports two variables, sleeping (sleeping or not sleeping) and bedstate (out of bed and in bed). I don’t see any options under the automation routines to select the sleep sensor, so maybe down the road. I’ll probably try setting up some of the smart apps to control a few items to see how they work later this week.

Aside from ST, for the standalone app, my initial two nights reported really low sleep scores, so I was concerned it wasn’t capturing correctly through the 12" foam mattress, so last night I tried using it under a thin pad (maybe 1") on top. Aside from accidentally unplugging the microUSB power cable when I rolled over, the overall sleep reporting didn’t change much (which tells me what I’ve known for years; I don’t sleep much/well). That’s a relief, since I won’t waste the money buying a pad for the top of my mattress to use it, and will go back to placing it under the current one. They need to refine the app for sure, as it recorded a separate sleep record after I plugged it back in, so there are two for last night (one covering about 30min, and the rest the entire night). There isn’t an option to delete a record, and the single day doesn’t average them. You can average sleep by selecting several days though.

I had this demo’ed to me about a year ago, Samsung UK had a sample device which I got to play with. Worked really well, surprisingly accurate (although I didn’t get to take it home hence there was more “lying still” than “sleeping”)

Been looking for it on sale ever since, nothing. I’ve got some “going to bed” routines that put lights on, turn sockets off etc and it’d be great to have a sleep sensor as a factor in knowing when to be doing things.

What happened to this?

1 Like

Anybody???

I don’t have an update, sorry. We were expecting this to hit retail a few months ago, but there have been some delays that I’m not up to date with.

1 Like

I am Wondering this as well!

1 Like