Rule Machine Version 1.8 Released

Hi Bruce

I’m getting a “Sorry, but there was an unexpected error.” but only when entering the “Run Rules, Actions, set Boolean” group under actions. Entering any other action group works fine. This has only started when I updated to v1.8. From what you’ve said above I assume its a platform problem but just seems odd its only when entering that one group?

haha sorry about doubling up with the post above, good timing 24v

There is no doubt that the Android mobile app is seriously messed up. There is some coincidence going on here with the release of Rule 1.8.x and the release of the new Android mobile app. I can see how hosed up RM is on Android, and there is nothing I can do about it. You can roll back to older versions by clicking on the History link in Github. You must take care doing this that the version of Rule that you roll back to coincides with the right version of Rule Machine. You can tell that by looking carefully at the dates in the History.

“Unexpected error” is an ST platform failure. There is no good answer for what to do about it. There is nothing that I can do about it. I see this error in other contexts of the app as well, not just this one. None of these issues occur with the iOS mobile app, only Android.

FWIW, I just created a new rule on Android, and went directly to Actions for True, and there was no error opening the Run Rules page. However, the functioning of RM on Android is so bad, that I think perhaps I should just declare that ANDROID IS NOT SUPPORTED. I mean, if ST can’t get the thing to work better than it is, I’m at a total loss.

Please don’t. Although I have problems with the Android ST app (who doesn’t?), I’m not having any issues with RM. It’s one of the few things in ST that just works ™.

I second this.

However, if it goes that route, I will then have an excuse to buy an iOS device of my own (partner probably would be OK if I just wanted to test on one of hers, but to have to come to me and get it from my pocket all the time would just be annoying and ridiculous). :slight_smile:

Don’t. You. Dare. :scream:

My point is, I can’t fix ST. ST can’t get the Android mobile app to work reliably. It really doesn’t matter what I say, supported or not, because you can do whatever you want.

For me, Android mobile app is SO BAD, that I’d buy an iPhone or iPad just to get away from it. You can get a used iPhone for $100 to $150. Put your Android mobile app out of its misery!!

1 Like

I understand that you can’t control what ST does. But RM does work on Android, despite having a set of relatively well-known glitches. Yeah, I get tired of re-submitting pages, and I’m careful to avoid the sources of those unexpected errors. But it does work.

I wouldn’t blame you if you put together a list of known issues and declined to respond to posts that relate to those; that gets tiresome. But I hope that you don’t get to the point where you’re not testing on Android, or supporting people that find legitimate bugs in RM.

Thank you for your help and the countless hours you must spend on this stuff. I wish I knew more so I could help others the way you and some of the members here do.

Just got home and checked what it’s up to on my ipad. No “unexpected errors” but I can only see the set private boolean option, no evaluate rules, run actions etc etc that were all there in 1.7. So could this be a RM glitch thats just tripping up the android app more severely?

Do you have any rules defined?

Did you by any chance rename Rule Machine?

Yes I currently have 13 rules and no I haven’t renamed Rule Machine. Just updated the code for rule and rule machine to 1.8.2/1.8.3f. I’m in the UK so no github integration, just copied and pasted the new code replacing the original and published for me. I’m new to Automation, ST and RM so excuse any naivety.

OK. The last time I saw this the guy had renamed Rule Machine, and that caused him to lose his Rules, and the result was exactly the page you describe, with only Private Boolean on it.

So, the question becomes, what happened to your rules? Please send me a Private Message if you want to attempt to do some debugging to root out the cause and fix for it.

@bravenel ! Remember that capture and restore ‘issue’ that I never got back to you on? Well… I didn’t change any of the rule settings and guess what? With your latest versions it works PERFECTLY!

I took a quick video although note that I had it set to a minute so you have to wait:

Here’s the rule:

So what’s happening here? Well:

1. At sunset my outdoor lights come on with a random colour each and at 10% (separate rule)
  2. When my Ring Doorbell detects motion or the button is pressed it triggers an IFTTT rule which in turn switches on my ‘Ring Virtual Switch’
  3. My Rule Machine rule then kicks in since it’s between sunset and sunrise and the Ring Virtual Switch is on.
  4. It starts off by capturing the current brightness setting AND colour of all my outdoor bulbs.
  5. It then sets all of my outdoor bulbs to ‘warm white’ and 100% brightness.
  6. One minute later (I’ve now set this to five) it restores the brightness AND colour of all the outdoor bulbs.
  7. Additionally after one minute it switches the Ring Virtual Switch back to off, ready to go again :slightly_smiling:

AMAZING. This cuts down on so many rules!

Now, on to another point, I know you said this was an issue with the SmartThings app on Android but I just wanted you to take a look at this just in case there is something more at play:

What I’m doing here is showing you the versions (although I just updated to the latest and it’s still the same for reference) and then going in to create a new rule, but I back out of setting a condition without actually doing anything which causes the issue. I checked Live Logging in the IDE but nothing comes up while I’m doing this.

From then on, I just continually get the error until I back all the way out of creating the new rule and notice that once I get the error, the menus/options are blank, there is nothing there. I don’t get the usual ‘Unknown Error’ anywhere else in the SmartThings app anymore and I don’t get any issues in my Ring Rule above, although I suspect if I went in and deleted all of the conditions and then backed out I’d have the same problem.

It could well be the issue you are talking about with the SmartThings Android app and not Rule Machine but I thought I’d post this just in case.

Thank you for all your efforts, Rule Machine is incredibly powerful!

1 Like

Yea, this is some Android issue. I can reproduce it. Evidently you can back out all the way back to Rule Machine main page, and nothing is saved. I don’t have a clue what’s causing this, although someone said it’s a timing problem between the mobile app and the cloud server.

Congrats on getting your other automation to work!!

1 Like

I rolled back to 1.7 just to see if it would change anything, and it does not. Thanks Smartthings,you have effectively broken the coolest part of your whole system!
Ugh!

1 Like

Yea, it wasn’t anything about RM 1.8.x, simply coincidence in time about RM release and platform / mobile app “upgrade”. You should be able to work around the problem with some care…

I have tried every way I can imagine to get into the Run Rules, Actions, set Boolean. I have tried creating a new rule and going to that first, going to that after adding a name, going to that after the rest of the rule is done, doing it on existing rules, etc. Nothing works at all, I just cannot even use that section at all. Goes straight to error.

Oh well, guess I just have to wait it out and see if Smartthings fixes it. :frowning:

Really strange! I’m able to fight through all of the network connection issues, etc, and create a trigger with set Boolean as an action. Today, my biggest problem is it dropping the wifi connection and then throwing that error. But I can get to Actions and I can get into and set the private Boolean value. All of this on my hated Android tablet.

So, keep trying.

Just for data point ref. I am able to run anything including run rules and set boolean. Actually I don’t get any errors no matter how much I push it, except if I click back instead of done. I am on Galaxy s7 with Andoid 6.0.1. I see some errors but nothing major on my Note 5 with stock Android 5.1.1

What do you think the difference might be? Android version? Something else?