Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

lesson learned. I’m a couple versions behind and wish I’d updated. Not that it really matters I guess given the platform it runs on :expressionless:

[quote=“guywmartin, post:4363, topic:28730, full:true”]
…with the github integration setup, there was literally no reason not to keep updated…[/quote]

unless, of course, we were out of commission due to illness (actually happened here).

Not complaining though. I totally understood Bruce’s stance on this already, and had no problem with it.
I was simply poking around to see if there is any chance of grabbing the latest code so that I can at least be up to where it was on Day-Zero of WITHDRAWN.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yeah, sorry, wasn’t specifically targeting you with that post. There are sometimes legitimate reasons for lagging behind a version or two.

I was referring more to the folks that would come to this thread complaining about bugs fixed 5,6,7,8 revisions prior to the latest and then wonder why things weren’t necessarily working.

I viewed (and still view) @bravenel’s code as dynamic, and while it was production quality, there was a certain amount of ‘leading edge’ to it, which does require trying our best to stay as current as possible to keep ahead of the bugs. Hopefully your version stays stable for you until ST can possibly sort out this mess.

2 Likes

Reread the license.

2 Likes

Okay…

This software if (sic) free for Private Use. You may use and modify the software without distributing it.

So I can use and modify it as long as I don’t distribute it…

1 Like

So…someone here is a freelance writer for network world? That was written by someone who has some experience with both products. Or is that just me reading into things? I tend to do that from time to time.

this section, unless it was quoted wrong in the post from @sgnihttrams

Apologies, I saw the quote and your name, then another quote type box. Its apparently straight from his code…so, back to what I was saying.

We cannot modify the software, based on his license.

2 Likes

Granted, it’s not the most eloquent license ever written, and it clearly contradicts itself in that line. But the spirit of it is pretty clear:

You may modify the code for your own use (in fact, there were times when Bruce himself recommend commenting certain lines out or in for troubleshooting). You may not modify the code, and then license or distribute the modified code.

None of this is going to court, so we’ll never know how it would stand up. The point here is to respect Bruce’s intentions and wishes. If you want to modify the code to make it do something new for your own use, go ahead. Just don’t distribute it to anyone else.

6 Likes

Fair enough. In my line of IT work, I read the literal statement.

2 Likes

Me too. In this case though, for me anyway, Bruce’s intent is enough for me.

1 Like

There may be a lot wrong with the platform, but @slagle, I have to appreciate you for your patience. You take the beating for anything that is wrong with the platform, and you keep your cool!!

10 Likes

Sorry but you guys have been saying this over and over for weeks/months with little to no progress. I’m honestly having a hard time believing anything that is being posted by SmartThings anymore. It’s starting to feel like we just need to accept the way things are because it will never get any better.

2 Likes

I found it.

https://community.smartthings.com/badges/118/staff
1 Like

“There’s something happening here
What it is ain’t exactly clear” - Buffalo Springfield :smiley:

2 Likes

I am running version 1.7 of rm and 1.7.5a of rules which doesn’t have the license changes. I will support it for myself anyway.

I have Version 1.9.0a 25 Mar 2016 of Rule Machine but I have modified it to add rate limit restrictions to rules - so that a rule doesn’t run twice within a set period of time (say 15 minutes)

Let me know if you run into problems with that. There might be times you want it to run more often… And there is a rule scenario that can do that for doodo you can pick the rules to limit, instead of a blanket thing.

I actually put the time limit on the trigger capability - each individual one - this was because when we both came home at the same time, garage door would open for one of us, then we get in, close it, and ST figures out the other half came home too and opened the garage again. So I pretty much put the “rate limit” on the presence capability trigger event, so that it does not trigger the rule twice within any 15 minutes. Works like a charm in fixing what obviously are ST’s problems.