Ring floodlight camera works with smartthings... not 100%

@BigHoss first let me apologize if I came across a bit pushy or harsh. That wasn’t my intention, or desire. I just want to make sure we are seeing this from all point of views. I personally don’t like that these things dont work and would love it if every option was available for whatever we want to do. I don’t disagree with you on that. But I just want to make sure we place blame were it should be. I dont see how it is Smartthings fault when Ring released new items and hasn’t made the functions available. Even though we are talking about the cameras systems you talk about the siren which is a security feature.

No matter how you skin it it would help everyone if all of the features were avaliable. Now that amazon owns ring though I wouldn’t hold my breath for any improvements.

True point. Amazon isn’t exactly repoted to work and play well with others. :stuck_out_tongue:

@BigHoss It looked like someone had put together a custom DTH that controls the Siren on a Ring spotlight?

Ring Floodlight Cam

1 Like

I just got off the phone with smart things support and they say to uninstall the ring Connect smart app and then uninstall the smart things app and re install. The agent I talked to was named Zalen. I highly suspect he is blowing smoke up my skirt just get me off the phone.

If you want to try to use that device handler dont forget to add the capability for siren to it. That way ADT Tools will see it as a siren and turn it on and off with the system.

Does that DTH prevent other parts from working?

I’m going to have to take a look at it in a couple of days. I’m feeling Kind of lousy right now. I think one of my colleagues was overly kind and was generous with a flu virus.

I’m not sure about that DTH and I need to figure out how to enable and disable it if I have to fall back to the stock device definition.

It’s very simple to switch between the stock and custom DTH via the IDE. You’ll need to do that anyway (switch from stock to custom) after you install the custom DTH code. As Mavrrick58 said, you’ll need to add a single line of code to the DTH code to add the siren capability so the device will be recognized as a siren, and not just a switch.

Kinda lame to have a siren feature that doesn’t work…but with that said, to avoid all the coding …Couldn’t you just rig up a ST siren and create a action in the App turns on the siren in certain situations? Then if the function becomes available later just repurpose the siren elsewhere? Crappy to have to put out the extra time money and effort but in the end you’ll have a lot more siren power in more places.

Just a thought.

That is extra expense, and the ring cameras are outdoor devices, most sirens that are compatible that I am aware of are indoor devices. Simply put, I don’t want to spend the money needed for a temporary fix when I already spent the money for what should have worked out of the box…

I realise I am joining the conversation a little late but i thought i would put in my 2 cents.

I have been looking into the same thing as i was considering Ring Lights -has there been any development in the app with regards to adding functionality for these cameras?

From what I have seen it seems, outside of Rings own ecosystem at least, that Ring only want you to be able to use Ring as a trigger device. Looking on IFTTT you can create recipes that use Ring as the ‘IF THIS’ part but not the ‘THEN THAT’ part of a recipe.

If Ring/ST do not resolve this then I think will need to consider looking into a different range of cameras and Smart Home Alarms.

I have a SmartThings hub and just dropped $4k on a Samsung TV, and according to the Samsung website my Ring Floodlight camera works with SmartThings https://www.smartthings.com/products/ring-floodlight-cam

This is false, i cannot view the camera on the TV or phone using the SmartThings app. If i try to view the video i get a spinning circle for a bit then it says “The camera is unavailable”.

I can turn the camera light off and on… I guess that’s what they mean by “works”. Samsung need to take down those compatible device pages.

I’m not sure the problem is SmartThings, but more like an issue with Ring. Getting interactivity out of the cameras is spotty at best. Basically their WiFi is ultra weak, and their cloud is just sluggish. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t bother with the ring devices. I bought them though as they were supposedly compatible with SmartThings. Oops…

Just latched onto this thread as I’m looking in to security cameras.

I agree that ‘WWST’ is not very helpful and that neither ST or the device manufacturers are likely to be anymore helpful than they are at present.

From a practical point of view we just need to know what works and what doesn’t. As we have a huge amount of info and expertise in this community would it possible to create some sort of database so that individuals could contribute and state which features are supported and which are not?

I should say that my particular quest is for a camera setup that will inform ST of a ‘person detected’ event, not just motion sensing.
If anyone knows of such a camera please let us know.
Thanks.