Rheem EcoNet

Hey Jason! Thanks for the app it works great. The only thing I would like to have is the option to turn off the water heater.
Thanks again!

Hey Jason, thanks for writing the EcoNet support. Any chance youā€™d be looking to add the ability to change the Water Heater mode (ex: Energy Saver, Electric Only, etc)? Would be happy to donate some more for such support!

Nothing wrong with the SmartApp,itā€™s more the Rheem Econet technology, but has anyone found this solution reliable? Everytime I go to the native IOS app, it errors and times out. Reviews in the app store are terrible. This is by far the worst home automation hardware/software solution I use and the extra money I spent on the module ($99) and a hot water heater that supports it ($200-300 more) has been a complete waste of money.

1 Like

Same here. This thing sucks (the actual hardware, NOT this SmartApp. Jasonā€™s work is awesome, and I donated, regardless).

The whole point of me spending that kind of money in the first place (on not only the WiFi module, but also why I got the heater in the first place) was so that I could manage temps from afar, but now, since I have to go down into the basement to reset it every time I want to use it to get it back online, itā€™s just stupid.

Good luck trying to get any help from them too. They kept giving me the run-around until I let it slip for a while, and have not heard back from them since my last message requesting support back in March.

I am about to bring the whole setup back to Home Depot and demand not only a refund, but some kind of paid help in getting it all replaced (I did the job myself, but now Iā€™m just pissed).

1 Like

I just contacted Home Depot to see how they can help. Maybe they will throw me a gift card my way for my troubles with the unit. I am not going to rip and replace the hot water heater at this point.

I know how you feel. At this point though, since the WiFi connectivity is the whole reason why I went with one of their water heaters in the first place, Iā€™m committedā€¦if they donā€™t take care of me, Iā€™m bringing it back and dropping it off.

Please let me know how things turn out with Home Depot. They usually seem pretty good about taking care of people when things go wrong. Iā€™m very interested in how they handle this kind of situation when itā€™s such an embedded product like this.

Interesting. I rarely change mine but when I do I use ST and never have problems. Maybe the econet device has issues with some wifi environments?

I just wish I could automate the temperature changes with the modeā€¦

1 Like

It definitely could be certain wifi issues. My Rachio is 50 feet further behind a steel door in my garage and I never have issues with it though.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMbhforum, post:28, topic:18791, full:trueā€]
ā€¦certain wifi issues.[/quote]

If you guys have any specific suggestions, I will do some investigation here.
I have tested WiFi range, connectivity, signal strength, and it all seems fine in the area where the Water Heater is.
I would love to hear if you have anything in particular to check for or whatever.

HA! :slight_smile: If only I could dream so big.
Of course, I did at one time (a post of mine far above once asked Jason about such functionality, but I canā€™t even imagine it now. Even if it were done on his end in this SmartApp, it obviously would do me no good at this point lol

Still waiting to hear back from Rheemā€¦

Wifi Issues can be very complex, just ask Alphabet/Google/Nest :slight_smile: When they released 2.0 of their OS for the Nest Thermostats, Wifi connectivity issues plagued the devices even until this day. It has gotten a lot better, but through months and months of troubleshooting. In my house, I have known poor 2.4 GHz reception in certain areas of my house, so I had to by a FIOS Moca Extender to place in a dead zone and am using an Asus AC Wireless Router (disabled ActionTec Wireless FIOS functionality) and now leverage 5.0 GHz where I can. Unfortunately, a lot of home automated devices only use 2.4 such as the Rheem, so this could potentially by my problem, however, my Rachio doesnā€™t have issues and that is further away. If it took a company like Google a year to make this problem better, imagine how long it might take a company like Rheem to address it (if they ever do). I am not saying itā€™s Wifi issues, but itā€™s a possibility.

1 Like

Yep. I have a WiFi extender in the basement specifically for thia Rheem device. Everything else that I have brought down there to test it sees high capacity WiFi, and works just fine. So, ya, I guess itā€™s just the Rheem device that is somehow defective. Thanks.

At one point, I was using a GoGo Garage Door Opener and had similar wifi issues in my garage. Switched to MyQ and have had no issues. It all depends on the hardware and software and poor implementations of either or both will cause these kinds of issues.

Today must be a good day because my Rheem EcoNet is now working again, however in ST, the device type is not. I get an SSL handshake on line 230. @copyninja do you want me to turn on the troubleshoot toggle so you can see the logs?

PS: Home Depot was willing to bridge Rheem tech support in to help me, but I didnā€™t have the time or energy to deal with it. I know itā€™s just poorly written software, and itā€™s nothing in my environment.

I just installed this and am unable to get past the ā€œConnect to Rheem EcoNetā€ page. After i enter in my details and goto next, the next page is empty. if i click done I get an ā€œErro saving unnamed page. Please contact SmartApp developer.ā€ If however I enable the troubleshoot option, it allows me to choose the water heater but then if I re-open the smart all the credientials are empty.

How has everyoneā€™s experience been with this moving forward? Looking at a home repipe, and was eyeing the 50Gal Rheem with the wifi econet.

Thanks.

Terrible. Itā€™s something that you donā€™t really need. I had to reset the wifi module almost every week and stopped doing that for months.

1 Like

Agree with @copyninja here. Probably the worst piece of home automation I bought. I wouldnā€™t trust it to make temperature changes when I am away. Donā€™t bother, they arenā€™t committed to it.

It appears there is some variance in these that the community has been unable to pinpoint. As you can see some folks have had really negative experiences with them but for me it has always worked as expected. I need to get a rule in rule machine to automatically set the temperature down when Iā€™m in traveling mode.

In fairness to Rheem, they did release an update on IOS about a month ago and I just logged in and to my surprise itā€™s working well, as well as the Smartapp with pollster. What temperature is it safe to bring th temperature down to when away? Keep in mind, I am in the Northeast,so not sure if I should worry about keeping it warmer.

[quote=ā€œzj4x4, post:38, topic:18791, full:trueā€]
It appears there is some variance in these that the community has been unable to pinpoint. As you can see some folks have had really negative experiences with themā€¦[/quote]

[quote=ā€œzj4x4, post:38, topic:18791, full:trueā€]
ā€¦I need to get a rule in rule machine to automatically set the temperature down when Iā€™m in traveling mode.[/quote]

I feel stupid asking this, butā€¦I didnā€™t know this (automatically changing the Rheem temp via SmartApp without pressing the up or down buttons in Jasonā€™s SmartApp) was even possible yet. Can we do that with Rule Machine, for sure? If so, I know what kind of rules I will be working on soon. :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œMbhforum, post:39, topic:18791, full:trueā€]
In fairness to Rheem, they did release an update on IOS about a month ago and I just logged in and to my surprise itā€™s working well, as well as the Smartapp with pollster.[/quote]

Ya, I got e-mails from them while they were working on it, and then once their update had been sent out. It does seem like it got a little better after that, but I havenā€™t done any real testing yet to make sure. I guess my experience has been pretty much like Jasonā€™s above.

[quote=ā€œMbhforum, post:39, topic:18791, full:trueā€]
ā€¦What temperature is it safe to bring th temperature down to when away? Keep in mind, I am in the Northeast,so not sure if I should worry about keeping it warmer.[/quote]

This is definitely a good questionā€¦I mean, an IMPORTANT one. I donā€™t know the answer for sure yet, but I recall seeing discussions about it on this forum and on a ā€˜Do-Itā€™Yourselfā€™ forum at one point; something about Legionnaireā€™s Disease.

They talked about how long the water needs to be up to a certain temp in order to kill it off, and I think the suggestion was to never let it go below 120.

Nevertheless, donā€™t take my word for it, but do check on it for yourself.