[RELEASE] Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor

don’t what the cr123 battery. they are not better than aaa in my estimation and much more expensive …

please provide a link or this info so we all can update our firmware… does this apply to the monoprice version as well? Also the best i’ve had for temp readings and battery in cold was the eversource st814-2. Is there going to be any replacmeent for this?

Hi Larry, we tested the sensor with a CR123 battery and were able to get a much longer battery life as opposed to the AAA so that’s why the change is being implemented. While we like how accessible AAA batteries are, it looks like lithium batteries are better for the job here.

Please get in touch with our support to receive instructions for the OTA firmware update. We’re not affiliated with Monoprice in any way so the Zooz firmware changes don’t apply to their product.

Everspring is updating their product line to Z-Wave Plus so we’re waiting for the new version of ST812 to come out. It looks like at least another couple of months before we get it in.

1 Like

Yes but there are lithium AAA batteries as well which I use.

Hi Larry, we tested the sensor with a CR123 battery and were able to get a
much longer battery life as opposed to the AAA so that’s why the change is
being implemented. While we like how accessible AAA batteries are, it looks
like lithium batteries are better for the job here.

Please get in touch with our support to receive instructions for the OTA
firmware update. We’re not affiliated with Monoprice in any way so the Zooz
firmware changes don’t apply to their product.

Everspring is updating their product line to Z-Wave Plus so we’re waiting
for the new version of ST812 to come out. It looks like at least another
couple of months before we get it in.

Hi Larry, there was also the issue with power coming from 2 separate batteries (1.5V each) as opposed to 1 3V battery. Somehow it made a big difference in how power level was interpreted by the device. We’ll keep analyzing performance and user feedback just like we have so far to verify if that change is beneficial to the community or we should perhaps revisit the update. Thanks again for your input!

@Lgkahn @TheSmartestHouse

See this post on the difference between the discharge curve of an alkaline battery vs a lithium battery. While this is comparing 1.5v batteries, the net effect of 2x1.5v alkaline vs a 3v lithium is the same, the alkaline voltage drops faster causing the device to report a lower battery % for alkaline batteries

1 Like

Hi,
I just purchased the monoprice sensors primarily for the humidity sensor in my humidor. Since the lid on these don’t open very often, i set them to check in a minimum of 4 hours. I checked to make sure the settings were applied, but i don’t think it is working correctly. And they appear to work erratically or check in anytime they feel like it. Some times a few days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Ali

doesnt really apply to what i was saying… i use aaa lithium, not alkaline batteries… much cheaper that the 123a… and with two batteries of lithium i fine them to last longer.

The typical capacity of an energizer aaa Lithium battery is 1250mah and that of a cr123 is 1550mah. So if you’re using 2 aaa Lithium batteries then yes you’re right it should outlast the cr123. Most folks tend to use alkaline. Where do you buy yours from?

But different discharge curves means inaccurate battery reporting, no?

Good question. To the best of my knowledge given that the chemistry of the battery is the same it should have similar discharge curve. There may be small differences due to the series nature of the AAA but should not be significant. Again it comes down to how the firmware has been optimized.

1 Like

I just installed 1 brand new version, supposedly the latest version (bought 12/18). Temperature only updates for me after power cycle. I tried anything I can think of, excluding device, changing settings, etc. I also noticed humidity is populating the Recently tab very often, temperature is not (only after power on). I warmed up the sensor, put in the cold - no difference.

Another problem is batteries - but freshly charged Eneloops, 1.38v. App reported battery at 11%. Right away it hit me that this could be a problem with the rechargeables - please add battery volts offset in the DTH. ALSO, I switch the batteries for the original alakaline that came in the packaged, which obviously involved power cycle - battery is still stuck at 11%

You won’t see the temperature on the Recently tab if it hasn’t changed. The device takes measurements at 3-5 minute intervals so you’re not going to see the change immediately.

What is the “Temperature Change Trigger” set to? Does the tile at the bottom show that there are pending changes?

This device sleeps so when you tap the refresh button or save the settings screen nothing is going to happen until the next time the device wakes up.

You can wake the device up by using the paperclip it comes with to push the recessed button on the bottom of the device. That button is supposed to wake it up, but sometimes it doesn’t so if after 30 seconds the “settings updated” hasn’t changed you need to push it again.

If you make a lot of changes, some of them might not make it to the hub so keep waking it up until the tile at the bottom doesn’t show pending changes.

What is the “Humidity Change Trigger” set to?

I haven’t tested this with the new firmware, but the old devices started having issues when the battery dropped below 20%.

If you were testing the temperature using those batteries that might explain your problems.

The device doesn’t report the voltage so I can’t add a voltage offset setting and the manufacturer says that the device shouldn’t be used with rechargeable batteries so it wouldn’t make sense to add it.

The device sleeps and doesn’t send the wakeup notification or battery report when power cycled so the battery is going to show 11% until the next time it wakes up.

1 Like

So to recap all: After I did factory reset of the unit, the temperature issue went away. It was definitely a hick up because prior it was set to report at the minimum possible change detected (0.1). It it interesting to note that the battery level report (17% with brand new batteries) didn’t get updated until the 12 hrs mark (even after the factory reset). I’ve activated another one of the same unit at it suffer same problem - 17% initially, 100% after the first battery update report (12 hr by default).

On the rechargable batteries, I guess zooZ haven’t heard of eneloops.

Another note about this unit - temperature is very accurate but very “lazy” to update. 1.5 degree change took more than 45 minutes to updated back to hub. I don’t think it’s just the 3-4 minutes report time, the sensor “feels” the change very slowly. Moving it from 70 degree to a 40 degree room took 30+ minutes to settle on the right temp (kept reporting temperature decrease with 3-4 degrees every few minutes).

Humidity level is 6-10% more at environment 30-40% RH. Haven’t tested higher humidity levels so I don’t know if it’s linear or not.

Bought the Monoprice sensor and I’m starting to regret it. To start, the idea that one would be expected to pay an additional $25 on top of the price of a single sensor to get all the functionality to work is just insane. (Yes, I get the value for some using multiple devices and needing multiple DTHs…but not everyone has this need.) (Edit: Wasn’t there a time when the RBoy DTH was $5?) In the end I’m grateful I found this open source DTH though. Thank you!

Secondly, how on earth did they not build it to support rechargeables? Yet another cost factor. I’m really beginning to regret jumping on this because it was on sale. At this rate I’ll eat up my cost savings quickly.

How often are most of you having to replace the AAA batteries?

Lastly, I’m still trying to figure out the correct configuration. My wife was out of the house and I got an intrusion alert with the device sitting on a cabinet facing the wall. So perhaps I need to turn down the sensitivity? (It’s currently at the stock setting of 4.)

I’m primarily planning to use it for Motion, temp, and humidity in our son’s room (I’ll switch the humidifier on/off based on the humidity and shoot an e-mail to the Super if it gets too cold). Any recommendations on the settings to get this thing optimized? Trying to read through this thread, but it’s tough to get through it all while helping the wife with the kid. :stuck_out_tongue:

The sensor will report low battery when battery level reaches 2.6V - it’s a requirement from the Z-Wave chip manufacturer and all Z-Wave devices should report in the same way. But because most use single lithium batteries, and not 2 alkaline, it seems like the sensor is eating up batteries. That’s also the reason why we’re moving to a single CR123A battery with the next hardware update (it should be released within the next couple of months).

2 Likes

That is bad news. I guess they haven’t heard of Eneloop rechargeable batteries

The Zoom DTH works just fine for me as well. Thanks!
The Monoprice unit isn’t very good though. Too slow to recognize movement, sucks batteries etc. The standard Smartthings motion sensor is way faster and consumes much less batteries but of course it’s just one sensor. I need motion and humidity for my bathroom.

I found the “Smart Humidity Fan” app I now use for turning on the Fan when humidity rises when showering. It works great. For motion and temp the standard ST app should work fine.

Hi everyone! I installed this device handler for my Monoprice 4-in-1 sensor, but on my phone the UI looks significantly different but I can’t figure out why. If anyone has any idea please let me know! Thanks! (I’m using a Galaxy S8+ running Andorid 7.0 and the 2.12.0 app)

Haven’t used that app. Why do you need it?

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.