[RELEASE] Orvibo Contact Sensor

I had one that was eating batteries at an alarming rate so I removed it from the window and it’s just currently sitting on the desk next to the window. Since removing it the battery has stayed at 100%

I am beginning to wonder if these are a false economy.

I’m going to try a SmartThings contact sensor on the door and see if that always responds.

Interesting. The one I have an issue site by the door and the hub is very close albeit with two exterior walls to get through! Probably relates to that!

The one that was eating batteries was in the same room as the hub and only a few feet away. The ones on the other side of the house are still shwoing 100% battery, so I don’t think distance etc comes into it.

I wonder if it was getting some kind of false trigger from the window frame.

The main problem is still that they just don’t seem to reposnd all the time when the door or window is opened.

I’ve had one that was doing that (and only one) the rest have been pretty reliable.

Are you using the Orvibo Contact Sensor device type or something else ?

I’m half tempted to try and get hold of some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEQ-Door-and-Window-Sensor-White-3300-P-/282024335177

They’re centralite and look to be exactly the same as the ST model. If they are then the 17.99 USD is a lot cheaper than the ST offering.

Can anyone confirm if it works with ST?

Interesting - The review on Amazon.com says:

Easy setup. Smartthings recognized it immediately.

Mine talks to the hub, I can see the keep alive messages in log. If I open the door about every two days there’s no sleep. If door is not opened for longer it goes into sleep mode and only pressing the button wakes it up. It is fitted on the loft door we don’t use very often.

Very. I’ve had a look around. I get the impression PEQ consume centralite gear in the same way ST do.

You can in theory buy the PEQ starter kit and throw away the hub and still get the sensor cheaper than buying it from Curry’s :slight_smile:

Exactly what mine seem to do - This makes them pointless from a security point of view !

I’ve just tested a load of different door sensors (see the next issue of PC Pro), and my favourites are the Aeon sensor 6 (the triangular one), and the Sensative Strip. Both work really well with ST.

1 Like

Interesting - both of them are Z-Wave I believe.

I look forward to seeing the article.

I might give the Aeon sensor 6 a test - It looks like a good design.
I just want something that is reliable.

I have to agree with @bennetm3 and @jbtibor. My two sensors also disconnect when not used for several days (2-3 seems to be the norm). However, I put one touching the ST hub and it has been connected for more than 6 days without being used. So the problem with them seems to be related to both inactivity and range/network problems.

Looking forward the PC pro review, please @PailOckenden let us know through here when it’s out so we can check it. Also looking forward to see if the PEQ sensor is reliable enough for security apps as the Aeon looks OK but too expensive to consider when covering all windows/doors.

Sleeping and battery issues is hundred percent related to zigbee signal issues.
I’ve probably got more than anyone else here (37) and spent a long time building these up and monitor them constantly with a device monitor app.
I’m of the opinion these are not for anyone not willing to experiment and build up a strong mesh. Also definitely not recommended to anyone with zigbee bulbs attached directly to smartthings.

I do wonder why some people are having such issues. Could it be zigbee channel? I happen to be on 14 if that’s any help.

Suggest people just try 1 before buying more.

I am only using 4 zigbee sensors: 1 samsung multipurpose sensor, 1 water leak and the 2 orvibo. All situated around the hub between 3-10 meters.

How can I check the ZigBee channel and change it to test it?

Thanks,

you cannot change it.

Has anyone tried the Everspring z-wave contact sensor?

They seem slightly cheaper that the Aeon sensor.

@bennetm3 Thanks for the tip, opening the door a few times does trigger the event. It is simpler than finding the hardware button.

@a4refillpad There’s one thing I don’t understand. How can this be a signal issue if I can see messages from sensor in logs, and if sensor starts reporting open/close if I open the door 2-3 times?

The heartbeat is not a guarantee of connectivity. Just an indication of a message reaching the hub from the sensor. I saw hoping to find a way to show signal quality issues but this is not exposed to us yet on the hub.