[RELEASE] Orvibo Contact Sensor

OK - I’ve just deleted the device and re-paired and now it is working fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sensors occasionally stuck in a permanent active or inactive state is something we just have to live with in ST it seems regardless of devicetype.

Fingerprint now working too. So out of beta :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much my friend. Your device type has made it really worthy investing on Orvibo open/close sensors instead of Smartsense ones.

1 Like

This is an odd one. One of my Orvibo sensors now isn’t seeing its own magnet, yet if I put a very strong N52 magnet nearby it sees that fine, but no green flash from its own magnet.

I wondered whether it might be a battery issue, but Wayne’s driver is seeing 100%.

Anyone else seen a failure like this?

P.

This probably isn’t it, but just in case, anytime you have a sensor with a magnet that used to work and now isn’t working, it’s worth asking if there’s any metal nearby that might have become magnetized over time. That can throw off the sensor completely.

Pretty sure the battery state works as I have varying levels of battery across the sensors. I have quite a few now. I’ve also noticed the orvibo magnets to very strong compared to the ST ones allowing me to leave a pretty wide gap so it’s surprising.

Hmmm… all of my Orvibo sensors seem to be failing. They’ll work for a while, then completely stop, and then start working again! Not sure whether it’s due to a recent hub update.

When they fail (and they all seem to fail at the same time), the green ring doesn’t light when the magnet comes close, although I can hear the reed switch faintly clicking inside.

Most odd…

I’ve had one of my 10 do the same yesterday. Had to reseat the battery. Green light would not even light when I click on the button. After reseating all was okay again. Hope it’s not endemic as I’ve another 10 on order!

Weird gets weirder… If I wander around the house, in some places the sensors work, in other places they don’t!

I’m starting to wonder whether it’s an RF issue.

But it’s new - up until a few weeks ago they worked fine.

P.

Some people are reporting zigbee problems with other devices in the last week. Really weird stuff.

1 Like

Perhaps the zigbee power in the hub has been reduced? I’d get out my RF Explorer (brilliant bit of kit), but don’t have a reference from a couple of weeks back to compare it with.

P.

My Hub reports “zigbeePowerLevel: -14”

Anyone know if this is normal? -14 WHAT exactly? And how do I turn it up to 11?

P.

1 Like

My Zibee power shows: zigbeePowerLevel: -2

And ALL of my devices have recently just dropped and I can no longer control them. I have a v1 Hub, and believe when I say I have tried EVERYTHING to try and regain control of them.

I have no idea how to raise the power level either. I’m also not sure if -2 is average or low power. From what I’ve seen and read this last week as my devices have been dropping, -2 may be a low reading.

Bueller?

In light of recent zigbee concerns or issues I’ve started to use various device monitor smartapps. They all invariably use events which for a quiet device like the orvibo contact sensor is pretty useless. For instance if the window is never opened then unless the battery level changes there will never be an event and you’ll be alerted to a “dead” device which isn’t.
In order to fix this I’ve added a “heartbeat” event to the device type that occurs everytime (roughly 15 minutes) the device updates it’s battery status. This way we can see if the sensor is still alive of not. Hope this helps as it certainly helped me find a device which stopped talking due to me moving an ST outlet which it was using as a relay! :slight_smile:

Wayne, when one of your sensors is beyond Zigbee range, does the green light stop flashing when the magnet opens/closes the device?

That’s what I’m seeing here.

Is pretty difficult to be sure as I have a good mesh with lots of powered signs devices as relays. But I think that’s similar behaviour with all zigbee devices. On the original ST sensors they would get “stuck” in one mode and need battery reseating. I now have more than ten repeaters around the house hence I rarely get this issue unless I decide to move or change my repeaters.

OK, I can confirm that the green ring doesn’t light if the sensor is out of Zigbee range to the hub. I’d assumed it was a simple send, but there must be a return handshake, and the green ring is an ack of that.

Still doesn’t explain why the Zigbee range in my house seems to have fallen considerably over the past week or so. It’s like the hub has been turned down.

I have one which my new heartbeat feature is helping me work out it is just about on the the battery fringe of range. Not had many range issues until recently too. But I put this down to the noisy 2.4 spectrum.

What’s the devicecheck SmartApp you mention in the comments Wayne?