[RELEASE] Motion Sensor Thermostat with Remote temperature sensors, Presence detection and Schedules

On phone can’t write a lot, but I’m positive between RBoys app and an app called CoRE you could do this easily.

1 Like

Yes you can. The app has a start and end time between which its looks for motion. Outside these times it will be considered inactive

Thanks, I will look into this CoRE thing!

So I take it that I could run this app AND a thermostat programming app simultaneously and they would not conflict?

Yes if you set them up properly they won’t conflict.

Start with the app first. Get used to it. Then add CoRE if needed.

CoRE is an awesome Swiss army knife. Use it when there is no default app or standard way of accomplishing your goal.

1 Like

###Motion Sensor Based Thermostat - Version 1.3.4

• Day of week input is mandatory
  • Thermostat selection is optional to allow for temporary disabling of SmartApp

NOTE: I’m unable to edit the first post due to a time limit and will update once I figure something out (most likely GitHub), until then the updated code is available on the [RBoy Server] (http://smartthings.rboyapps.com)

###Motion Sensor Based Thermostat - Version 2.0.0

• Added support for using a remote temperature sensor instead of the thermostat built in temperature sensor

###Motion Sensor Based Thermostat - Version 2.0.1

• Improvements to the user interface
  • Motion sensors are now optional (to allow to temporary disabling of the SmartApp)

###Motion Sensor Based Thermostat - Version 2.0.2

• Tweak the external temperature sensor threshold to better handle lower accuracy sensors

###Motion Sensor Based Thermostat - Version 2.1.0

• Added support to automatically check for SmartApp and Device updates and notify user

After updating the code, open the SmartApp and click Done for the changes to take effect

RBoy,

I have subscribed to your server. Thanks for the great apps there. How would you recommend that I combine the motion thermostat with a timer? I tried setting up routines to run through the Automation function in the Smartthings app, but it seems like they conflict or something, as when I have the routines set to turn the thermostat, the motion control app does not work. I don’t feel like I need to get into anything as complicated as CoRE/Piston just to make this work. Do you have a thermostat app that combines the motion and timer stuff? Or is there some workaround that I am missing? Basically, I want the thing on a schedule except during a part of the day, when I want it motion controlled. Any help would be appreciated!

What you need will be addressed in the next version of the 5-2 day
thermostat it will combine motion sensors and schedules into a single app.
For now you can combine the two smart apps 5-2 day and this one to get what
you need. It isn’t a perfect solution but should be able to do what you
need.

Cool, thanks!

Hey Rboy. Is there a way to set this so that if there’s no motion it can send a off command to the thermostat? I bought the app hoping it would do this, but it doesn’t behave this way. As of now my AC heater (mini-split) is running all of the time either heating or cooling. I do see the idle mode kick in when no motion is detected, but it’s still on and is using energy. Please advise.

How are you controlling the mini split? With a Z-Wave thermostat? If so
then configure the idle temperatures so that the A/C will turn off (i.e.
set heat to 50 and cool to 90).

Hey RBoy, I installed 2 instances of this app this weekend. One was for a weekday schedule and the other was for the weekend. I selected the option to run only during a certain time period and only during the correct days for each instance but even this the restrictions, my thermostat was being set by both. So my weekday instance was running yesterday, Sunday, and then they both ran overnight even though the time restrictions did not include any time frame at night. Any idea why this happened?

Are you sure it’s coming from the apps? It’s likely a configuration issue. Double check the AM / PM, that’s the most common issue. If you want you can PM your settings for both apps and We can try to replicate it. I’ve use two instances of the app for a single thermostat in a similar fashion and it’s been working okay, hence my guess it’s a configuration issue.

I dont think it was a pm/am issue since I also had day restrictions so even if it was am/pm issues, one of the instances shouldn’t have been running. I have since removed the instances but I can set it up again this weekend and PM my settings if it starts to happen again.

1 Like

RBoy, I tried this again and still had the same results. This first picture shows both instances running at the same time.

This is my weekday settings
Screenshot_2017-09-02-12-30-51
And my weekend settings

I also use your 5-2 day thermostat schedule. No sure if having that installed as well is causing the problem.

1 Like