[RELEASE] Generic Video Camera DeviceType, Yes, Live Video Streaming

When I first applied @pstuart 's code the landscape worked fine. Now i’m with you and cant figure out what went wrong. It works on my Samsung Tab4 but not on my note 5 or S8. Anyone have any clues?
Mr. Stuart, Thanks again for all your work in the community.

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Behnken
Thanks for this I’ve just been working my way through your methods to finally try and get my camera working but I’m getting a bit lost .
I’ve tried your first 2 streams with my details but no luck then you mention about encoding the username and password but where does this incorporate into a stream url ?
And with the http urls do you mean to actually use the http in the Smartapp instead of rtsp?
Using the android app Onvifer it reports my url as URL:rtsp://192.168.0.57:554/onvif1
And it lets me connect without putting any username or password in.
Thanks for any help

Did you sign into Onvif with that cameras UN/PW

You mean the android app Onvifer ?
No opened it does a scan then connects without me entering any details.
Edit…
Forget all that lol
Just opened the app again and checked the settings and it’s got my details in it so it must have entered them it was month’s ago so I’d forgot.

1 Like

So in a camera url

admin:mycampassword is the same as auth=YWRtaW46bXljYW1wYXNzd29yZA==

Some cams use the first method, some use the second or both.

Using example 1 the url stream looks like rtsp://admin:mycampassword@192.168.1.858:443/1

Using example two the url stream looks like rtsp://192. 168.1.858:443/1&auth=YWRtaW46bXljYW1wYXNzd29yZA==

For port 443 and camera stream 1.

So for ip cameras you need a few pieces of info to make a stream url.

1. The camera ip address, you can find this on your router admin page for your home router.

2. The port and the stream number, these are set in your cameras admin page found by going to a web browser and typing in the ip address from step 1. So in chrome you would type in something like 192.168.1.858. It should bring up a login page to access ur camera. If u dont know the password or username, reset the camera to factory and use the default.

3. The user name and password from step 2.

4. The url syntax that ur camera supports. This one can be tricky. I usually google the brand of camera and the words stream url.

Here is some url info from ispy

Sumvision
FFMPEG rtsp:// /11

So possibly, rtsp://admin:pass@192.168.1.555:443/11 or rtsp://192. 168.1.555:443/11&auth=dksjssjsjskswjsn37=+

Ispy has url generator on that page if u click ur brand name, for sum vision it gave me:

rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.205/12

Thanks @Matt_Behnken that’s great going to try some of these :slight_smile:
I understand some of what your saying it’s just how you put that into a url lol
The m on my Onvifer details it’s showing
Username is "1420442"
Then my password
The IP shows “192.168.0.57:5000”

So onvif is not the same as url streaming. It’s makes the camera viewable by only needing the camera id like djs4373794djsjsk. Then onvif apps can get the username and password from the camera id djs43794djsjsk.

This smart app here on ST doesn’t use onvif. Instead this uses the real username and password of ur camera. So if u have the IP address, like “192.168.1.111” put only that into a webrowser. Does that bring up the camera login page?

This goes in the address bar:

Then press enter or go or whatever. It should bring up your camera login page (as long as your on the same wifi as the camera and the camera has that ip address).

Once your logged in there you’ll be able to find port settings and url stream info in the settings of the camera administration web interface that you just logged into. Usually that info is under “networking”.

sorry, but i didn’t read the whole topic, but read the starting post and the first and last 5 messages.

But, i have an issue, I setup my device in Synology Surveillance station which gives me the opportunity to validate the correctness of the parameters I provided. Got it working!

In surveillance station I can publicize the url in my home network, so I created an url and put it in the add camera part of the generic video camera. But I doesnt show up in the things page.

Then i added the device via de url rtsp://admin:123@192.168.178.20/onvif1 (all lowercase), but also with that configuration no luck.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks
Putting just the ip throws up a error but if I put the up with /5000 it brings up a load of text about Onvif.
But I’ve found a part on the Onvifer app that scans your device and is telling me the ip is 554
But no matter what ip I try with your methods it’s not loading on ST :frowning:
In the native android app for the camera my username is my email address but on the Onvifer app it connects with the camera device number as the username.
Thanks for the help I’ll have a proper go at it tomorrow :slight_smile:

Yeah onvif is separate. The error is probably 404.

The camera ip can be found in your routers web interface while it’s connected to your wifi. Most camera web interfaces use port 80 but it’s automatic. As in just your camera ip will bring up the login. Don’t add ports and words to login to the camera web interface. If you’re getting an error, the ip is wrong.

Yeah that’s definitely the right IP I’ve looked at attached devices on the router and there’s only 2 I don’t recognise
192.168.0.57 and
Neither load anything in a browser and the Onvifer is reporting 192.168.0.57 as being the cameras IP.

It’s probably because it’s only a cheap one of amazon Here

Looks like you’re doing correctly to me! I’ve gotten some cheap Amazon onvif ones to work before from raycam I think.

Another option is securityspy or blueiris, they can upload onvif to local server ip address. They have some free trial software too.

Yeah I’ll have a try of that.
Like I say I’ll have a try tomorrow on my laptop it’s a bit easier than a tablet :slight_smile: in case I’ve been making a typo somewhere.
Thanks for all your help

Yw, sorry to put you through the ringer ip cams can vary widely!

1 Like

Any help with my issue below ?
I really don’t know what to look into now.
Thanks so much

Hi, can anyone get back on my post please?

Blockquote [RELEASE] Generic Video Camera DeviceType, Yes, Live Video Streaming - #294 by mmniet
My previous post

Thank you

Hi. I’m newbie and I’m having problems.
I have Axis 207W ip camera. I’m watching stream via web browser.
URL is http://ipaddress/
It asks username and password -> works.
I changed it not to ask username and password so anyone from lan/wlan can access it straight.
Now I tried to follow instructions and I:

• copied device code and followed instructions to publish device
  • copied both smart apps (connect and child), followed instruction to publish smart apps
  • went to mobile app, marketplace, smart apps and created device.
  • I gave url which works by using browser, there is possibility to choose “stream” but it gives me just three same options. I’m not sure do I have to edit code and add axis url there?
  • anyway, without editing code, device is found from the devicelist of mobile app. When choosing it it shows black screen and play button. When pressing play button it says “unavailable”.
    What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I red intructions again and didn’t publish child this time. I googled axis url and tested it with vlc. Working URL is:
http://ipaddress/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

Thing is "active"
Still black screen saying “camera unavailable”.

EDIT: I got it.
It was wrong URL. Axis-url should be:
http://ipaddress/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=&resolution=640x480

1 Like