RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Any having issues adding new dlna devices via Media Renderer (connect) app? its broken for me with a message Upgrade needed (it looks like all connect apps has the same issue), I already contacted ST support and they replied saying they aware of the issue and will be resolved soon but have the same from 2 weeks.

I am having the same problem hope this is fixed soon…

Literally just managed to add my STR-dn840 sony AV reciever using this. So adding devices works. But I am a little bummed, because, for years i have used serviio as my dlna media server and i’m not clear whether I can use it.

I guess I don’t see how to add serviio as a “control point” Can somebody advise?

HI @KumarMudedla,Its new this kind of problems , I have reported HubAction not working but firmware its different, please check the firmware of you hub and tell me the number, and the hub version,

hi @jt323bd, You must to use your DLNA server , servio or any other, ST is not a control point to music, ST just send messages or tracks when an event occurs, some control points do not work fine with ST , please read the first post to known about control point.

@ule thanks for checking, this issue got resolved for me by following 3rd Party Hubs not connecting - work around

I’m confused. Can i plan music using my dlna server (pc), smartthings, and my dlna media renderer (sony reciever). without using a phone as a “control point”. I’m trying to just play music when a switch turns on. Is there a PC control point that works?

I have an Onkyo 3009 and old Android phone with Bubble Upnp. The android and Onkyo will play sound clips fine. However, the onkyo will not play voice messages. I have voice set to Samsung. Anyone else have this issue with there AVR?

Hi,

I’m using Donkey UPNP app on Android phone (connected to dock) with the device handler
It works fine if I use with no external TTS selected.
But if I enable external TTS and enter my VoiceRSS key , nothing changes.

In fact the device plays the cached sound from previous attempt (with no external TTS)

I use the “speak” command which is equivalent to “playTextAndResume”

If I return to “no external TTS” setting I can get new non-cached sound. But if I keep “external TTS” , it gives the same result even if I changethe text sent to “speak” command.

What might be the problem here ?

Thanks.

edit:
the key had problematic characters. I removed them and now it is working.

Hi,

I don’t live in US.
How can I arrange sonos weather forecast external TT so that it gets my location ?

if (location.timeZone || zipCode) {
		def weather = getWeatherFeature("forecast", zipCode)
		def current = getWeatherFeature("conditions", zipCode)

And how can I set ddifferent language for weather forecast

I mean “fctext” in other language ?

i don’t think other than EN is supported, Smartthings are only in USA and GB.

Right now is no a translate function, but you can easily add some translate functions to the smart app

1 Like

Do you mean , “use google translate” in the app ?
If I choose that path , can you give me an example of how to do that ?

On the other hand, I would really prefer using the API with correct language instead of translating the output from weather underground.
Would it be possible to get the weather information directly from weather underground , instead of using SmartThings internal functions ?

Btw, please also tell me how can I set my location correctly in the app ? (as I am not from US, just entering zip code would not be meaningful)

Hi @mrmrmrmr, just leave empty the zip code, the app takes the hub location.

1 Like

Ok; thanks.

What about the translation ?
What should I do ? Is it possible to query Weather underground api diretcly (bypassing smartthings functions) ?

HI @mrmrmrmr, yes , you can query directly to underground api or translate api, try to start with http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/ref-docs/device-handler-ref.html?highlight=httpget#httpget

thanks. I got how to use httpget from there. But I don’t know how to process the response.
Is there any example which I can look at ?
Thanks.

The Smartthings integration with Sonos, only plays US English, and I want British English.

Last night I installed the app and registered for the ivona speech TTS service for my Sonos.

I am working away from home for another week, I just wanted to know if others have got the media renderer to work with the Sonos?

Hi @NHENRY,

1. The MediaRenderer events apps have the ivonna TTS and works with sonos,
  2. If you want to use the TTS directly in the MR Device, you must to uninstall the sonos device and connect and replace with the MediaRenderer Connect and device, It detect sonos speaker, but like MR is a generic (to get compatibility with most speakers) the sonos will loose the group speaker (in SmartThings),