RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

Hi, thanks for all your work. I followed the steps and added my Squeezebox Boom. However only the Stop and mute commands work, and it crashes my Smartthings app within seconds. I’ve tried it on android and ios and it has the same crash issue. Any clue as to what I need to do to fix it?

It started crashing lately, i belive it has to do something with platform update. Smartthings going to release soon new mobile app addressing some stability issues, so maybe this one too. Also @ule is working on refresh device update so it will be fixed eventualy.

Hi @dbk, I have release an update a hour ago, are you using the last update?

could you verify in the logs what problem show?

Thanks

Hi @plantucha, I have realese an update an hour ago, could you verify if your android devices works fine, thanks

hi @dkb, some mediarenderers are slow, I suggest you to increase the time between actions to test if your mediarenderer needs more time, you can change this value editing the device in the app, all mediarenderers I have test take more time over wifi than cable network,

Hi, TextToSpeach function is not working time to time, I have update the fix function, this fix always ask for the native function , if is not working, calls the fix, you can verify Sonos-Notify-with-Sound-External-TTS

You must to update the connect and the player, The tts fix has added a x-rincon-mp3radio protocol for compatibility with sonos

Sucess on Android.

UPNP Monkey renderer
and
Private dancer renderer

discovered within 30 seconds.

But they stay on the list of discovered devices even if they doesn’t exist anymore.

Hi @plantucha, the list is not updated, the next release will delete the uninstalled players from the discovery list, Private dancer still have some issues but UPNP Monkey seems to work pretty fine , if you try the Media Renderer events and select a radio tunes, you can see the art and station description in UPnP Monkey

Hi, I’ve updated and “play” now works from the Things tab. Android is still crashing everytime I try to go into the device itself, or look at the notifications tab.

Hi @ule. I’ve updated the SmartApp and SmartDevice with the latest code and now it has discovered all my DLNA devices (GraceRadio, Sony AV Receiver, and UPnP Monkey running on Android Table) that wasn’t discovering before.
Note - The Debug messages were a great addition and help to troubleshoot this.
Thanks for this great App.

Hi @RudiP, Great news, I´m glad the device works for you, could you send me the exact model of your devices, to publish in the supported list.

Thanks

@ule, thanks for the recommendation, but I want to play my own audio files locally. One problem I’ve noticed is that the Sonos Notify with sound has two problems:

1. It doesn’t let you specify a specific audio file from your DLNA server. Instead it just lists the recently played files. This is weird. I downloaded a godzilla sound and to get it to show up in the list I had to play it a bunch of times in my DLNA server first.
  2. There seems to be quite a delay in playback. There are some pre-canned sounds in the Sonos Notify with sound app (door bell, fire alarm, etc) but if you select a DLNA file to play, it seems to take quite a while for it to spool up, sometimes 4-9 seconds. :frowning:

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi @Patrick_Callahan

1- DLNA Player is not a Full control point, It receive a url and send it to DLNA Device

1.a The smart apps must to select and send the url to DLNA Player, You can make a DLNA Smartapp who list and selects the files with your DLNA Server (but the ST platform is so limited).

1.b To save the track played, the DLNA device must support Metadata, Once the metadata is sent to smartthings this is saved, I have notice, smartthings platform are not saving and retrieving the saved tracks some times.

2.- The delay in DLNA file is for the Device and Server, they take more time to Process and delivery the file, some DLNA devices and servers are faster than others.

3.- You can add to the smart apps the direct link to use it (just like sound do) , it could be a URL from DLNA file from your server, or a URL file from a web server, in this way you can select the audio file from the smartapp without have to play it before and then selected.

with new android 2.0.4 mobile app doesn’t crash anymore if you open some DLNA speakers. YEEEY

1 Like

When was this released?

About 3 hours ago today

@ule - Working great now on my Yamaha VX-675 via Airplay. Probably works on all Yamahas.

Kristopher

2 Likes

@zj4x4 @ule
Sorry for the delayed response (almost 8 months I guess). @greg PM’d me about this error today and I found your messages while searching the community for it. I will have it fixed in an upcoming release of BigTalker which will be version 1.1.4, likely released this weekend 11/6/15 - 11/8/15.

Hi @ule . Sorry for the delayed reply.

Here are the devices that I’ve tested and that are working with DNLA Player v2.0.0:
Grace Digital Wi-Fi Music Player (GDI-IRC6000)
Sony A/V Receiver (STR-DN1040)
Tagital T10 Tablet (Android 5.1.1) + Private Dancer + Bluetooth to Amazon Echo
ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (Android 5.1.1) + UPnP Monkey

Note - I just saw that you’ve published v2.1.1 and I’ll give it a try tonight.

Thanks again for this great app.

1 Like

Thanks @RudiP, I have added the devices to list.