[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

Yes that should be possible. I just need to figure out what the commands are!

1 Like

Im interested in getting a node server to run this off a android device
Get me your repo :slight_smile:

Someone else was asking me about this, however I’m not sure if it will work. PM me your email address and ill add you to the repo

No developer chops here, unfortunately.

I do have a Synology NAS that has an available node.js package that I have installed. No idea how to use it. :slight_smile:

Once you have something that is more “packaged” (e.g., including Linux doofus level node.js setup instructions) I’ll be happy to test. I am comfortable in webCore (and am using webCore to make a DLNA speaker speak announcements via TTS) so that part is not an issue for me.

Thanks for working on this.

No developer here either, but I’ve been fooling around with raspberrys, .js and docker a lot so I’ll be happy to test once you got something to share.

A dockerised version could be very useful too, I’ll look into that.

1 Like

BTW @ghesp, maybe you saw this, but does the activity/work on this thread relate/help at all in terms of what you’re doing?

Again, I believe that’s another implementation of the cast protocol that uses TTS. Basically it overrides whatever is on the device with no resume feature.

My implementation supports pause/resume since it does not use the cast protocol. The downside of that though is that you can only play back words and phrases, rather than sound effects.

Ie, If the doorbell rang, you can’t play a “ding dong” sound, Only broadcast out that someone is at the front door.

Give me 2 minutes to make a video and i’ll show you how mine works in terms of existing cast content

2 Likes

NP, thanks. Just wanted to make sure you saw it in case it related.

I don’t need sounds, just text announcements, so I prefer what you are doing here…the ability to pause/resume, and the ability to control which GH devices get the message are both key capabilities.

Thanks!

1 Like

If you’d like to send over the repo information - I will take a look at it.

So its a public repo now. I’m not going to release it as a finished product yet, but if people want to install and play around they can

1 Like

I have a Synology NAS w/its node.js package installed.

My NAS does not support Docker so I can’t use that option (which I believe might simplify matters if it was supported).

If anyone is kind enough to write basic setup steps for the Linux toddler then I’d be happy to try to set this up and test it a bit. NVM…oops, finally clicked on the link and noticed the install/setup instructions. I’ll go through that and ask if I have questions. If there are obvious Linux noob pitfalls to warn me about, I would appreciate that. :slight_smile:

This might eventually push me over the edge to getting a Raspberry Pi…is this a good way to start? I have a 64GB SD micro SD card w/SD card adapter sitting around so I don’t think I need to purchase any storage. I don’t want to sit at a desk to use it (prefer my comfy couch), so I guess I’d need small integrated touchscreen monitor and either use a touchscreen keyboard or get a small external keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Clear-Power-Supply/dp/B01C6EQNNK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516039168&sr=1-5&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

1 Like

<<<<<<< ACtually bought a RPI because of this

Be a good use of my Pi Zero W that I couldn’t get working for my MagicMirror build. :slight_smile:

What did you buy, specifically - any suggestions?

Just had an “aha” - I’m installing Ubuntu on my Chromebook and will run that as the primary OS on that device for now. Hopefully will work as a decent Ubuntu client.

EDIT: Or maybe not…Ubuntu is not working well on my Chromebook - display issues (when I type in a a search field in the browser text doesn’t fully display, when I go to this site in the default browser the site won’t display properly and I can’t log in, etc. b Chrome but the keyboar d and mouse are all wacky - not usable.

On the other hand, this means I “have to” order a Raspberry Pi. Arrives tomorrow… :smiley:

@ghesp, Thanks for this, it’s absolutely awesome work and really opens the door for what can be achieved with the Google Home platform within SmartThings! Especially loving being able to replace my current WebCoRE TTS functions with the nicer Google Assistant voice.

Only issue I’ve found so far is the web server doesn’t seem to be returning a response from the POST requests, which causes some issues with connections being kept open until they time out etc.

Also, are you currently accepting pull requests (or will be in the future)?

Ahh, yes I was supposed to put that in before I pushed it out to the public repo but forgot. Will sort that now…

Just another teensy thing, if you wanted to enable GitHub integration within the ST IDE you just need to change your device type and smartapp folder structure like so (if you weren’t already aware):

/devicetypes/ghesp/assistantrelay.src/assistantrelay.groovy
/smartapps/ghesp/assistantrelay.src/assistantrelay.groovy

Can’t wait to see what is made possible with this, being able to send arbitrary commands straight to google home really opens up the possibilities :smiley:

2 Likes

Responses to the endpoints now added, and I’ve updated the folder structure so hopefully it works via the IDE.

I’m trying to figure out a way to get sound effects through the assistant. I know if you use the assistant on your phone and say “broadcast make some weird sound” it will broadcast the weird sound you made as it cannot do speech to text.

I’ve made a sound file that uses the assistant voice for the word broadcast followed by a doorbell sound, however I can’t figure out how to stream this as a buffer to the assistant. It uses Protobuf I believe, but I’m having some issues

EDIT: Also yes, pull requests are welcome

2 Likes

Thank you, it works perfectly here too!