[RELEASE] cast-web v1.2.1 - Chromecast Integration (EDGE Driver discussion begins in post 1668)

@drac
here you go this should get you started

1 Like

Yes, that is the device capabilities after setup. You need the instructions in the post above. I shared them so you knew you wouldn’t be wasting your time settting this up. Mine runs an always on windows PC so I can’t help with the RPi but others might.

If you get stuck, I’ll do my best to answer questions but I’ll admit I’m not an expert.

Good luck!

1 Like

GOOGLE CAST EDGE DRIVER UPDATE NOTICE:

Version: 2023-01-28T01:04:01.149922766

Updates:

• Change to no preset resume after notification if playback is paused
  • Fix to previous and next track controls, which stopped working with a recent app update
  • Disabled rewind and fast-forward buttons
  • Fix to error reported by @swdeason when playing a notification to group where one speaker may not be initialized
6 Likes

Hi @TAustin, thank you for keeping alive this integration. Is there any way to implement a “blacklist” for the cast devices so they dont show up in smartthings? ie, only have the speakers and groups in ST and exclude the tv chromecast.

Thanks!

As I recall there isn’t any device type info available during discovery, so it would have to be implemented just based on the name. I suppose that could cause problems since there could be multiple devices with the same default names if they were never changed in the Google app.

But yes, this could probably be doable, so I will consider it for a future enhancement.

1 Like

Is it possible to integrate web-cast-api as an EDGE driver and remove the “man-in-the-middle” ?

1 Like

I don’t think thats possible for a number of reasons.

1- The Hub OS is not user accessible, it doesn’t even qualifies to be called OS.
2- These hubs the v3 are limited by their hardware, 1Ghz CPU and 256MB of RAM is not enough to run all the automations, edge drivers, connections to all devices, imagine to run on top of that the cast-web-api which requires installing npm, several extra packages, google api and a web server.

I think that the best way to go is with a raspberry pi and install there the cast-web-api.

To what extend would it be possible to implement a scaled custom version which, for example, just allowed to send a url to play… a door bell… a status message… an alarm… simple stuff?

Does anyone have a phone screenshot of the settings for presets? I’m not exactly sure what how to set these up. Would like local and internet options. Thanks.

Anyone else using this with actiontiles? Not sure if an issue with actiontiles or something on this end but the devices only show up as switches. Previously cast web devices showed up as music players. From a dashboard
button you could pause/play and click for volume control. Now with this new edge driver version (thank you so much for carrying the torch forward by the way) it only shows as an on/off switch. I don’t know much about this stuff but poking around in AT I can see the device capabilities shows all sorts of “music” controls but doesn’t present them when adding the device to a tile.

I need some help. I have the cast-web-api set up and running (“on line”) on my computer and have the latest device loaded with the Edge driver in Smartthings. I’ve input the correct ip address in the device settings, but Smartthings’ Google Cast Manager says it can’t connect. Also, none of my Google speakers are showing up when i scan to add them as devices in Smartthings. Any ideas?

With your browser, go to ip_from_your_pc:3000

What do you see?

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in ip_from_your_pc.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

You have to put the IP of the device that is running Cast API, for example: 192.168.1.30:3000

When you first launched cast-web, did you allow the firewall connections in the prompt?

Same “site can’t be reached” error with the correct ip address added. I don’t remember seeing any prompts for allowing the firewall. All this used to work fine before the device handler was disabled and I reloaded this with the edge driver. I’ll try removing and readding Google Cast Manager.

UPDATE: Reloaded and reran node.js and restarted cast-web-api which is online. Still no response to the browser ip check and no change in Smartthings (even after readding Google Cast Manager). Cast-web-api is allowed firewall acess (no change from before).

Can you post cast-api log ?

OK, figured out I had the wrong ip address entered (it was the old one). I am now connected…cast closed! Thanks.

1 Like

Here’s mine:

Let me know if you (or anyone else) needs help finding the direct stream URL of your favorite radio stations - globally.

1 Like