[RELEASE CANDIDATE] CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine)

I’ve been running seven installs of CoRE for as long as I can remember…

…no issues at all. I highly recommend it.

Excellent - good to know. This will make it easier to organise pistons too by Lighting, Mode, Presence, etc

I’ve started the long, long, long process of remaking most of my pistons. Pray for me…

I remember you having several. What was the reason again?

What’s the recommended limit on the number of pistons per instance?

thanks

I got the number down to 55 pistons before I could start reliably opening it in the app. However CoRE is still slow when editing pistons at this level. I’m now going to aim for ~10 pistons max per installation, organised by what they do.

I am looking to stay less than 25 pistons per install.

I had over 80 rules in rule machine. I converted those to pistons in the early days of CoRE. I got up to around 60 something pistons and ran into the same problems. I managed to get that number down to around 45 and things were better.

Then I broke the setup into seven installs. I’ve currently got a total of 31 pistons running. I migrated everything possible to local control in smart lighting.

My system runs great. I really don’t have anything to complain about, today.

Mine are broken down by area…

Interesting (sorry to barge in) - did you migrate them like that manually or is there a way that I’ve completely missed to copy pistons around? (also @ady624 - feature request… deleting ‘groups’ and/or ‘inserting’ in a piston when editing rather than manually clearing everything out or clearing out and re-adding in a group etc.: very time consuming - just popped in my head lol)

minor follow up - I ask cause CoRE takes quite a while to load for me, but I think I hit ~32 pistons last night?

I did it all by hand… I have rebuilt my system several times from the ground up, which is no small feat… 150+ physical devices… but every time I rebuilt something I was able to rethink the logic and find a better way to do things.

When I was using Rule Machine I had some very very complex rules going on. I’ve rebuilt them maybe a dozen times in CoRE and can honestly say… they are perfect! I have no problems!

I broke some pistons up to run parts of them locally in Smart Lighting… basically, if it can run local, it does run local and build the cloud around them.

My entire system is broken down like this…

1 install of Ask Alexa - 38 Macros installed. These are used for information feedback in the house.
7 installs of CoRE - 30 pistons. These are all control pistons
3 installs of Button Controller - used from my minimotes
1 install of Smart Lighting - 27 rules. 24 are Local running rules for automation control
1 install of EchoSistant - 23 profiles installed. These are used for in-home communication and control.

so, a grand total of 111 automation controls ranging from very simple to very complex… and I’m not even close to being done with my system. I’ve only just begun to start on the outside of the home!

Oh yeah! I forgot… the entire system is based around 7 modes and total voice control of every thing.

Overall, it took me a whole lot of time to get things where they are now. I have a couple of pistons that are designed to monitor the system and ensure it is performing as programmed, and if not they are able to automatically correct the issues, most of the time.

But, I am honestly happy with my system and these days almost all of my time goes into helping others learn and into writing my new smartapp.

2 Likes

Haha, I hear you! (and I live in an apartment - my GF doesn’t get it… she’s probably right… its like an addiction or something… lol) I keep wishing I had a good use for the mini-motes… they just… work.

@ady624 - another feature request - non phone/tablet based way to write rules… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not far away at all!

I love my minimotes!

2 Likes

You can call Pistons via a URL. I have CoRE running on a second remote hub that is temperature sensitive. When the temperature sensors drop to a certain level a web call is made to execute a DO piston at home on the first hub.

Not sure if that’s exactly what you’re looking for or not. Could also possibly use the IFTT integration but I’ve not done much with it.

Hi @bamarayne . How did you name these instances of CoRE.
On my mobile but when I get home I may move down this road.
Thanks.

Go into CoRE settings and you can rename your install.

Doh!
How stupid am I. (No comments please).
I just assumed you did it in the code.

1 Like

All of my SmartLighting automations have failed over the last week or two. I removed them they became so unstable. All local only. @vlad was looking into them and saw an error that was new to him, but I haven’t heard if he’s found anything conclusive yet. I just can’t live with my hall lights not coming on in the middle of the night so I unpaused my CoRE pistons, a second more delay but they have worked near flawlessly.

I have had glitches with smart lighting, but very few of them and very far apart… Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Hi @bamarayne.
Sorry to be a pain, but I cannot seem to install multiple instances of CoRE.
I provided another instance of CoRE in ide but everytime I open either instance of the CoRE smartapp it opens up one of my existing pistons.
Do I have to completely trash the whole lot and start from scratch?
If so, I think I will pass as I cannot rebuild all my pistons.

You have to edit the code to allow multiple instances. I’m sure he’ll mention how, but this trick works for other smart apps as well like Ask Alexa.