Really Impressed with Edge Driver Performance

I finally got all 170+ of my devices converted over to Edge Drivers and rebuilt my control panel SmartApp for the new platform too. I’m really impressed with the performance. I see the device status change on my control panel almost instantly! With Groovy the fastest I ever saw was around 3-6 seconds. With Edge we’re talking milliseconds! Very cool! :slight_smile:

Here’s a quick video of it in action just so show how fast it is!

7 Likes

The control panel is a Chrome Box that’s recessed in the wall with a ViewSonic touch screen monitor. It runs a webapp that I built which also connects to Nest API, Airthings API, Ambient Weather API, Weather Underground, Amcrest Camera streams. I have one on each level of the house and find it super useful.

Here’s another quick video:

My app is built with NodeJS. It uses context.api.subscriptions.subscribeToDevices to get the device events back. It uses a socket server to push the updates out to the control panels.

The other integration run as separate NodeJS applications. They all run on a local server and I use PM2 to mange the processes. For the Amcrest cameras I use FFMPEG to convert the RTSP steam to an MPEG video stream.

If any one has questions I’d be happy to share more!

5 Likes

Yes, I’m totally interested! Looks amazing!

@justin-stanley
great job, could you share how you did it?

Okay, I broke out the code for the ST part and cleaned it up a bit. It’s on Github at the link below with instructions on how to set it up.

Could you add a license to the repo, just to clarify usage? I’d suggest something simple like the MIT license.

https://choosealicense.com/licenses/mit/

1 Like