Present sensor to update motion

I don’t know if this the right place to ask or be pointed in the right direction but I’m new to SmartThings :man_shrugging:t2:.

I’m after an app/code which I can use where by a ST /phone Presence is detected and updates a virtual motion sensor - and only be triggered once Upton and arrival and then reset upon leaving.

This could then be used to trigger an Alexa non verbal command. As it seems Alexa is limited in what devices can trigger a routine - motion or temperature.

If I understand your question, this is easy as long as you have the right virtual device. If it has both sensor and switch capabilities, that’s by far the simplest. Then you can turn it on and off like a switch from smartthings but echo will detect it as a sensor changing state.

See the community FAQ:

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

Kinda of, however from what I understand and looking at my echo I cannot trigger an echo routine from a switch or plug only a motion.

So if I wanted to have music or news play through an echo once a person has arrived… I need more than a virtual switch on.

From what I read I need to install and use WebCoRE, which seems like a lot for this simple task?

Did you get a chance to read the FAQ at the link I just gave you?

What you are going to do is create a virtual device which is both a switch and a sensor.

So it will look like a sensor to echo, and that is what will trigger the echo routine.

But it will look like a switch to SmartThings so you can turn it on and off. You do not need webcore for this, although you can do it that way if you want to.

So when you turn on the “switch“ with any smartthings routine or automation, it will look to echo like the “contact sensor” just opened. And when you turn the “switch“ off with any smartthings routine or automation, it will look to echo like the “contact sensor” just closed. So this is a very easy way to trigger echo routines from smartthings.

The FAQ has all the instructions when you follow its links. So just use those. This is a very popular integration and many people in the community are using it. :sunglasses:

Here is the FAQ link again. ( also note that echo routines can be triggered from either a motion sensor or a contact sensor. But not a switch, as you noted.)

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?