Possible to connect a Sensi thermostat

Also… Tonight I changed the device handler some to include the Thermostat MultiTile instead of that ugly tile layout. The Up and Down arrows on the right should increase and decrease the Temp Setpoint no matter what mode you are in.

The first three tiles across the bottom are current temperature, Operating State, Fan State. The next 3 are Mode Setting, Fan Setting, and Hold Setting.

The bottom row breaks out the Heating Setpoint and UP/DOWN controls then the Cooling Setpoint and controls.

@jameschurch13

chop chop cuz see above

I had the thermostat set to heat. Alexa supports the thermostat without smart things.

So I tried Auto heat and cool then Manual on heat and cool. You tell Google the command to set temperature and with the smart things app open it initially shows temp commanded to what you said but then changes to “sensi hold mode on”. The thermostat never received the command.

Yes, alexa supports it natively (which is definitely best at this point). Alexa doesn’t actually work with my device handler either. I’m not sure what I’ve got wrong for the voice assistants to work.

It is still awesome to use smart things as a one stop shop now.

@jameschurch13 I was watching the Recently tab and noticed that Alexa is sending 73.0 for 73. I believe the sensi wants whole numbers and only whole numbers when using degrees F. SO I forced the setpoint to a whole number and now Alexa appears to be working. Maybe hit up the github for that most recent version and see if it works with Google Home?

1 Like

Will try it tomorrow. Thanks.

Updated the new code and the thermostat works flawlessly no matter how you update the temperature. I tried it in heat mode and cool mode. In each mode I tried updating via the Smart Things app, Voice by using okay google on my phone, and voice by using hey google on my google home. Great work and thanks for the help. My master bedroom is now Alexa free.

Works with google home flawlessly! Cheers!

Just wanted to chime in that I added the SmartApp today and everything seems to be reacting incredibly well. I’m new to this and your instructions for adding the code were very clear.

Thanks again!

@Kirk_Brown Awesome… Thank You! Been waiting for something like this.

Awesome work on this useful integration! Like others have said, the Sensi thermostat is now integrated into SmartThings, and Google Home/Assistant voice commands are able to trigger some actions. Changing the temperature via Google Home appears to work fine, however I haven’t been able to successfully toggle the Fan (off/on/auto) using a voice commands. I have tried tons of combinations and key phrases, but no luck.

Has anyone been able to toggle the HVAC Fan setting (off/on/auto) via a voice command?

Hmm… I don’t have Google home, I’ve got echo. My thermostat isn’t as full featured but echo can’t change thermostat modes for my unit through smartthings including the fan. If you really want it you could probably do a virtual switch device and name it HVAC Fan or something. Then use a smartapp that turns your fan on and off according to the state of that virtual device. That’s how I’ve been getting around the Smartthings restrictions on the echo

Hey Kirk! Flawless job mate well done. I just installed your app and its working like a charm. Thank you again!

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to adding custom smart apps — will this allow me to have smartthings set the thermostat to a specific temp if it recognizes my presence as “away”?

Thanks so much,

Ryan

@Kirk_Brown,
Kirk this is incredible stuff! Thanks for doing this.
Quick question. I have two sensi devices. Upstairs and Downstairs. My web account has two devices associated with it. I installed the smartapp and the device handler. I went head and created a new device and used the device handler to assign its controls.
I guess the question I have is how do you select the thermostat of choice? How do I display and control two different sensi thermostats?.

Thanks!

OK i think I figured it out…i did not need to create a new device…ST autopopulated the devices for me…thanks

Correct, it will automagically make them for you. I have to about tho that there are times when the smartapp doesn’t correctly update both devices. I haven’t had time to figure out what the deal is with that.

If you have an issue with that, I would recommend taking the smartapp code and saying it into another smartapp named something like Sensi (connect) 2 and then only having 1 thermostat per smartapp. Bit of a pain, but sometimes the Sensi website will not update both devices correctly.

Ryan, installing this custom app will connect your Sensi thermostat to Smartthings. More specifically, it will connect Smartthings to the Sensi website and populate those values in a thermostat device in ST.

Once you make the smartapp, and the device type handler in your account you can install the smartapp from your phone. The smartapp will create a thermostat device in your ST account. That device will work with other apps. Those apps will allow you to stuff like away temperatures.

So this is step 1. It is the method that St uses to send commands and gets updates from Sensi, but you have to use other apps to actually make automations.