Planning Your Setup . . . Get The Most From ST

Ive recently realized that we have taken on a lot of new users within the community, so i thought we could maybe start a few threads, helping where possible in getting the most out of your SmartThings system with careful and thoughtful planning . . .

Before i setup my initial V1 system i planned out what i wanted to do with it and what i would need to buy and how it would link in etc etc (im already looking forward to taking this down and starting again with my V2 bettering things i learnt from V1) so i wanted to discuss with others how you best PLAN your setup or whether you just jump in clueless of direction and piece together as you go . . .

The Way I Do It:

1.) Outline which items in the home you want to: Monitor / Automate / Connect.

2.) Outline what items/products you need to buy eventually to make step 1 viable.

3.) Work out a priority for step 2 products to purchase to make step 1 viable quickest.

4.) Draw out a plan of my home and what products i plan to put where, making sure ive not missed anything out or if i could rejig anything to make it work better (example - camera and motion sensor placement etc)

5.) Write out a list of how i wish to lay out the app, including Rooms / Routines / Virtual switches required to make other connected products work (for example Harmony) etc etc and how each should then perform in a different mode . . .

I believe having a clear plan of what you need and how you want it to work (A.) Makes you achieve your goal quicker (B.) achieve better results with the products you have . . .

What is everyone else’s approach?