I just ran into a major hiccup integrating multiple Philips Hue lights. I have an array or Philips bulbs (cans, and fixtures) all connected to a Hue Hub. The scene control within the Hue app is flawless, with both synchronization and dimming. However, I also purchased some Zooz Scene Controllers (Zwave) hoping to kick off these same scenes. These scene controllers are taking the place of normal light switches. I implemented the scenes in SmartThings, only to be met with the dreaded popcorn effect. This is a show stopper, as this effect is way worse than the benefit of bulb level control over the color. My understanding, after reviewing the other threads, is that this is because SmartThings does not perform groupcasting for zigbee bulbs, and flips them on one at a time. I have tried light groups in SmartThings and it has no effect. The Hue app starts them simultaneously. So here are my options as I see them:
- Abandon the Hue CAN lights and switch to line voltage dimmers with normal LED wafer lights. This will keep the lights synced but has no color control
- Abandon the scene controllers and stick to Hue switches that talk to the Hue hub. Keeps the color, but locks me into 2-3 very basic switches.
- Possibly wire a Hue Dimmer module to the load control on the Zooz scene switches. This would kind of work, but only for the main button on the scene controller. Everything else would still popcorn.
- I did see someone claiming that the cloud integration supports groupcasting to Hue if you want to ditch the hub, but that introduces a cloud processing delay. I also don’t know if it is true.
- Use the scene controller to control the load to the Hue bulbs, actually cutting power. I would then have to turn on the bulbs via zwave before using them. I would lose control via the Hue app.
Am I missing any solutions? I am working with electricians this week, so the decision on line voltage dimming vs. smart bulbs is an urgent one. Thanks in advance.
P.S. Anybody have a source inside SmartThings that can explain why they don’t support groupcasting in Zigbee? This is a huge problem for lighting.
Zooz Scene Controller - Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus Scene Controller Switch ZEN32 - The Smartest House