Hoping someone can give me advice or confirmation that this will work before attempting it.
I’m replacing some of my existing z-wave switches with newer ones and want to put the old ones elsewhere in the house that still have regular switches.
I don’t want to reconfigure all of my lighting integrations/smartapps so I want to verify if the steps I outline below will work correctly.
- Cut power at the breaker to Old Switch location.
- Install New Switch in location of Old Switch. Use Smartthings Classic app to perform “replace” of Old Switch with New Switch (from my understanding, the “replace” function only works if the device being replaced is unresponsive, hence the need to cut power to it at the breaker first and not exclude the Old Switch until the “Replace” has been done through the app).
- Place Old Switch in it’s new location elsewhere in the house
- Perform “General Device Exclusion” on Old Switch
- Begin inclusion process and add Old Switch as a new device
My main question is will the device exclusion of Old Switch create issues for New Switch because of the Device ID being the same?
Thanks in advance!