Outdoor Motion Detection

Hey all,
I’m looking for a solution for outdoor motion detection. I’ll be pairing them with my Arlo Cameras to trigger motion detection as well as turn on lights and such. I’ve seen various suggestions, from using indoor sensors under covered areas, to some sort of beam motion detection to zoned areas with multiple sensors and making non smart sensors talk to ST with a bit of additional hardware. Ideally, I’d like to use a zoned setup with either smart or “made smart” sensors. Has anyone found a really solid solution for this?

There’s an FAQ for this which discusses many different options. Different ones will work for different people.

Mike Maxwell has a very good smart app for putting sensors into zones:

Since you have the Arlo though, why don’t you just use the built-in camera’s motion sensor? It’s actually going to be better for outdoor use than pretty much anything that connects directly to SmartThings.

Here is my solution for outdoor motion sensors. I have several neighborhood cats that prowl at night and narrowing the field of the PIR eliminates false alarms.

1 Like

I think you’re right. Arlo now supports zone as well and I’ve had reduced false alerts since solidifying my setup for the arlos. Thanks for all the detailed links :slight_smile:

1 Like