FAQ: Do you know of an outdoor motion sensor?

Here is my solution to outdoor motionsensors.

The PIR sensor doesn’t register heat if it can’t see it. Using Electrical Tape to block out the lower and upper field of view. So when the Sun is comes out the Sensor can’t visually see the ground. Also block out the sky so the sensor is less likely to trigger falsely. With these sensors the house is covered all the way around. Each sensor is setup with a Push Notification to my phone during Away or Good Night modes. With the WiFi Samsung Speaker (or Sonos) and Big Talker SmartApp to speak if a motion sensor is activated.

In addition I’m using the Sonos Player with RCA Outs connected to a small speaker app powering Outdoor Speakers in the front and back of the house. The speaker amp is on a Z-Wave outlet switch that turns on during Away or Sleeping to allows SmartThings notifications outside with the Sonos if Z-wave switch turned on. If a outside motion sensor is tripped SmartThings plays the “Fire Alarm” sound effect outside to scare off anyone prowling around.

One night about 3am someone was going to break into my Jeep and the lights came on and the Fire Alarm mp3 began playing at the same time and he took off running. I’ve since repositioned the sensors for better coverage.

Video Link

I’m using the Ecolink Z-Wave Motion Sensor and have had the best luck with them.
They don’t cost much and you can get a pack of 4 on Amazon for $105.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB1TBKS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_vELPxbTCHEZ8B

Here you can see PIR sensor.

Align the tape without the lens for the best straight out horizontal view.

Inside with the lens and tape.

Looking through

With the tape in place blocking out the ground and sky.

Tape up and any holes and joints to reduce water, bugs or spiders from getting inside.

I found a little plastic container and turned it upside down and trim off the lid to make a protective cover. Finally I used duct tape to cover to block out direct Sun light. The grey helps it blend into the enviroment. In this picture you can barely see the two other motion sensors in the other trees.

I made a little wooden shelter for this one and it works great. I’ve considered making a front cover with a slot to line up with the inside sensor but this has been working well.

I also take advantage of covered areas along the house.

What do you guys think?

7 Likes