Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

Correct. Zigbee devices can have only one coordinator, and unlike the Phillips hue bridge, the Osram Lightify gateway does not have a built-in bridge function. If the gateway owns the bulbs, they cannot be controlled by SmartThings.

Ok, so updating the lights involved the tasks of disconnecting from ST, connecting to gateway, disconnecting from gateway, then back to ST? is there a better way? Also since I updated yesterday and since my color slider is out of wackā€¦ I canā€™t seem to get my bulbs that normal soft white glue anymoreā€¦ How can I fix at least that

That is the only way until ST allows for firmware updates.

First make sure you report this issue to support so they get an idea of how many users this is affecting. Second if you have rule machine you can set the color temperature using that app, otherwise you may need to try the smart lighting app. Not sure about any other workarounds until ST fixes the issue.

I already reported this to them and received a reply email. As far as a rule machine, Iā€™m not sure what that means or how to do it because Iā€™m new to the ST community

Rule machine was a very popular rules engine smart app created by a member of the community, but he had to withdraw it in March 2016 because it was too difficult to support due to platform instabilities. Hopefully he will be open to bringing it back if the platform stabilizes. SmartThings staff have already said they have talked to him about it. But it is not presently available for new installs.

1 Like

Ok go in the mobile app and go to the Marketplace, then select the Smart Apps tab. From there go to Lighting and select Smart Lighting. You can setup the color temperature here as a workaround, just assign any trigger to it and you will see the color change. You will see color temperature under the ā€œturn on and set colorā€ option. It is limited but this is probably the best you can do until ST fixes the issue on their end.

Damn, wish I had another option. I feel like Iā€™m living in a jewellery display case

did the firmware they just pushed out 2 days ago?? make things wonky? I was actually going to update the firmware tomorrow but if it has made things wonky ill just wait the bulbs work with the firmware they currently have and osram seems to refuse to cough up release notes on the firmware updates ( i have contacted them many times over release notes)

My situation caused the lights to have a blue tint to them making my house feel very industrial, I hate it. Iā€™m not sure if the firmware is to blame or the temp slider on ST app. Or both, but it is making me really annoyed

1 Like

I think (and I do mean think) that you can now configure a bulbā€™s behavior on power-up when itā€™s connected to the Lightify hub. I believe that it gets saved in the firmware somewhere. This seems to be a new feature.

Why do I think this? The other day I was updating the firmware of one of my recessed units. I saw (and ignored) something about setting the power-up behavior and saving it in the Lightify App. Because I ignored that, Iā€™m getting the same effect; it comes on at 100% brightness and max temperature when you power it up. Not very appealing.

Iā€™m hoping to confirm this weekend and will report back.

Please let us know. I updated and donā€™t recall seeing thisā€¦ Now Iā€™m also in that boat

For color cycling when.linked to Smartthings hub see my new App.

1 Like

This morning I got busy and moved my 16 Cree and GE Link bulbs over to the Philips hub. Other than a little difficulty getting a couple of them to pair, no problems. Now I just need to re-configure the Hue integration and re-do a bunch of RM rules. Hopefully Iā€™ll see an improvement in the reliability of those bulbs.

I have to report, though, that the OSRAMs (A19, BR30, 5/6" recessed tunable white (RT56 TW 65 01), and the 5/6" recessed RGBW (RT56 RGBW 65 01)) do not pair with the Hue v1. This is true with both the old versions of the F/W that they had, and the new ones that they now have after I updated them.

Also, there is definitely a way to set the power-on color and level in the Lightify App. Unfortunately, when you reset the bulb in order to get it to re-paired with the ST hub, those settings are lost. With the new F/W the RT56 TWs come on full at the highest temperature color when powered-on. Very bright and blue and obnoxious, IMHO. Kinda disappointing. The BR30s, A19s, and RT56 RGBWs come on full bright, but at the other extreme of color.

I spent a bunch of time today updating OSRAM F/W (30+ bulbs x 10 min/bulb!), in the hope that these bulbs will behave better with the newer code. For the record, hereā€™s what I saw with respect to OSRAM bulb firmware versions (as of 4/30/16):

Bulb ------ Old F/W -- New F/W .... ------ ........ - ........ A19 ------- 01020205 - 01020451 BR30 ------ 01020314 - 01020414 RT56 TW --- 01020157 - 01020481 RT56 RGBW - 01020318 - 01020436

I did not try to pair the Commercial Electric recessed units with the Hue hub.

1 Like

I live in Texas - after a storm here its pretty much for sure we will have a power outage - and thatā€™s about once a month or more! just wish they defaulted to white ā€¦

So that tells us why, but as of now we still donā€™t know how to fix?

For expanding the garden spots. I have found it us cheaper to buy a whole 9 bulb kit and not use the power supply and controller than it is to buy 3 3 bulb expansion kits.

2 Likes

Well, to be certain, they are white (6500K) at power-up. Very white! Wife much prefers the softer whites, so hopefully she can remember to keep her hands off the switches and the power stays on. Iā€™m on the list for a Powerwall, but who knows when theyā€™ll start shipping those here in the US.

If by that you mean, ā€œhow to get the OSRAM bulbs to pair with the Hue hub/bridgeā€, youā€™re right. At this point it appears impossible. Perhaps a future F/W update to the bulbs or the bridge will make it function (again).

Is this after the new osram lightify update? I never managed to get their hub working and connected direct to smartthings - but I believe I need a lightify hub to upgrade - is that true?

My fiancee would be delighted if we didnā€™t have horrendous violet lights illuminate our house every night after an electrical storm - and we have lots of these in Texas!

No I was actually referring to the fixing the issues with the high temperature color and getting my soft white that I miss so much