Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

I just updated f/w and added an rgbw osram bulb to ST, when i kill power at the switch level thw bulb turns back on to a pretty soft white i put a 2700k led next to it and it appears the same temperature.

When I updated the f/w then added it back to ST I get the high temp color

Yes, and yes. The default behavior of the RT56 TW recessed units appears to be to power-up at 100% brightness with the color temperature at 6500K. The others (for me, anyway) come on at 100% and 2700K. And, you can only update the F/W on the Lightify bulbs through the Lightify App, which you can only use to talk to those bulbs when theyā€™re paired with the Lightify gateway.

Thatā€™s what I saw with the bulbs, as well. Different for the RT56 TW, though.

Does anyone know if the default color of the Gardenspots has changed as well? If it has, Iā€™ll take another dive into world of lightify hub connection problems. Otherwise the bulbs and lightstrips I have work fine.

Thanks for the help.

using the latest firmware you can specify the default behavior, those same updates will fix your connection issues too.

My experience is that the default behavior can be set in the Lightify App (when the bulb is connected to the Lightify Hub, obviously), but that when you reset the bulb in order to re-pair it with the ST hub, you lose that setting. Are you saying that the setting is preserved across the reset/re-pair, or that it can be set somehow in ST?

Unfortunately the default behavior does not carry over for any of the Lightify products after a reset. Iā€™ve tried unsuccessfully so far to figure out how Osram is changing the default and itā€™s not a secret they want to divulge.

I think they do a mini-firmware update of some kind that is wiped out during a reset based on how long it takes to go into effect and the fact that you can only set a default, not have the light maintain its state. If it was simply a cluster command, they could piggyback that after other commands and always maintain the current state in case of power loss.

1 Like

Thanks - this is very helpful.

Iā€™m wondering if I could work around this by specifying the color each time the lights are switched on and then polling them on a regular basis to keep it set. There must be an app for that I would think?

If we do find out how to keep the default settings then that would be even better - I donā€™t want to deal with another hub (or should I change that opinion?)

I have several lights ā€œgroupedā€ under a virtual switch. Iā€™ve created an RM rule to turn them all on and set level and color when the virtual switch is turned on. Itā€™s not perfect - you have to turn the virtual switch on once after power-on to get them set correctly - but it works pretty well. Right now, with the color slider broken, thatā€™s about the only way to do it as far as I know.

Any update on the bulbs that have the color temp change? I even installed brand new ones in hopes of them working correctly but nope.

Whooaaā€¦ first, Iā€™m happy that Iā€™m not the only one struggling with this problem, but the same sad there aint been feasible solution yetā€¦

Iā€™m considering what lights to buy, and the Osramā€™s seem at the best price point. Was going to buy the RT5/6, but thought what happens if I need to replace one and they donā€™t make that model anymore, I am SOL, so probably go with the BR30 instead. It sounds like connected to ST, setting the color or color temp has been broken for over 20 days!? Did I read that wrong?:astonished:

If the US Osramā€™s could pair to the Hue bridge, that seems like the best solution. Am I right that having them connected to ST, there isnā€™t a lot of apps to use and thereā€™s no to few fun effects? A lot of the most common things seem completely unavailable such as sync to music, disco, thunderstorm, etc. Should I pay the extra $20 per bulb for Hue or Lifx to be able to use the Hue app ecosystem? Without buying and testing both, Iā€™m having a hard time figuring out the pro/con of this choice. :thinking:

I read in a Lifx thread, someone has a RM rule when they turn on a smart wall switch, a rule sets the light color/temp. Is this possible with the Osramā€™s or something special about the Lifx?

It looks like Osram just released an API, has anyone seen this yet? I asked them if they are going to ZigBee 3.0, but in the past they have just given boilerplate answers for unannounced features, such as HomeKit. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if ST made us buy a new hub for ZigBee 3.0 :weary:

They arenā€™t planning to join Friends of Hue anytime soon, this is in their FAQ ā€œOSRAM LIGHTIFY clearly wishes to provide a flexible and safe open software system with enhanced compatibility options in the future. By joining the Friends of Hue program and accepting the demanded conditions our aim would no longer be supported and realized.ā€ --I wonder what ā€˜demanded conditionsā€™ prevent them from reaching their aimā€¦

I am using RM to turn my OSRAM RT5/6 lights on/off/dim and set the color temp. Right now thatā€™s about the only way, in fact, since the slider is still broken.

With respect to the API, I hadnā€™t heard about that. But, my understanding is that the current firmware is Zigbee 3.0. I updated a bunch of lights last weekend and they still wonā€™t pair with the Hue hub, though. Must be those ā€œdemanded conditionsā€.

With respect to future-proofing, obviously weā€™re all screwed if they start changing the outward appearance of those RT lights and it turns out that they donā€™t last for 100,000 hours or whatever it is theyā€™re claiming. On the assumption that I might have at least a couple premature failures, though, I have a couple of spares tucked away in storage.

Will the new ST update help this issue that all these ppl are having?

Given that the release notes (Hub Firmware Release Notes 5/09/16 (Hub V2) - 14.39) donā€™t say anything about Zigbee, Iā€™m guessing no.

1 Like

No. Tried it after the update. Then asked on chat today. ST support said the fix is in work and will likely come with the next Android app update.

If you have an Osram tuneable white A19 60w equiv, the Osram DH kinda works but you have to tap the slider bar - wait to see the temp ā€“ tap again, and repeat. It did save the last setting.

I see the app received an update today but doesnā€™t look like it was fixedā€¦ Then again Iā€™m not home to physically see the bulbs

ST said the issue should be fixed last night or today so we will have to see what happens.

Well I see the slider is acting on a 0-100 scale, but I canā€™t wait to go home and see