Options for 220V Rectangular Dimmers/Switches

Has anyone had any luck with a DTH for these WiFi dimmers?

Ive also seen them on AliExpress at $20 and it states they use the Ewelink app, which I’m sure I’ve seen some other devices on here that can be reflashed to be compatible with ST.

Im also open to suggestions for any 220V dimmers/switches (with physical switch, rectangular faceplate) that you guys have had positive experiences with integrating into ST.

TIA

It will depend on what country you are in, because the most popular smartthings – compatible options use zwave, and the Z wave frequency varies by region, so the device selection varies by region.

But assuming you are in Europe or the UK and are using the UK model of the smartthings hub, you’ll have a number of choices.

This fall into three major categories:

1. use an in wall micro behind any standard switch that you choose. The fibaro brand is very popular but there are other brands as well.

2. If you have a neutral wire (blue in the UK) at the switchbox, then there are several brands that make UK style zwave light switches that will work just fine. Vesternet has a good selection. You may need custom code to make dual or triple gang versions work, but the singles should work fine

1. yet another popular alternative which works for some use cases, although not all, in the UK is to get the lightwave RF second generation switches and use the free IFTTT service as a “man in the middle“ for SmartThings integration. These are nice looking switches, do not require a neutral wire, and work very well on their own. The only issue is that there may be some additional lag if you have to go the IFTTT route.

https://lightwaverf.com/generation2

You can find more details in the UK FAQ on lighting (this is a clickable link)

If you are in a country which uses 220 V but uses the North American Z wave frequency, such as parts of South America, then it gets much trickier to find devices. I think most people end up having to go the micro route.

As far as the ewelink options, there are a couple of different ways to do that depending on how technical you are and how much additional equipment you want to get. See the project reports in the community – created wiki on a quick browse lists for “lighting.“ Or just search the forum for ewelink.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Hi JD, Thanks for the quick reply! Your assumption was half right, I am a Brit (ex-pat), but I’m actually thinking of installing these in a building in the Philippines!

Until now I wasn’t aware that there were multiple regions for zwave frequencies. My experience is only with US hub and devices. Thats another thing to go on my list of why-oh-why-cant-we-standardise-globally-on-these-things-yet list then.

That being said, the ones I found are wifi which should work across the board with EU or US hubs at a guess. Im still not sure which hubs are available in the local market there yet.

I recently flashed a batch of Sonoff wifi switches so I have no problems with flashing firmware where required. Searching for ewelink I found Maxtay’s post on one of your threads asking what I need to know, can these be reflashed and have direct ST integration without using a man-in-the-middle approach

That one’s simple, it’s the same reason you need a different mobile phone in different parts of the world. The low band frequencies have been allocated differently by different countries, and particularly those for mobile phones and for emergency services communication such as ambulances.

Z wave frequencies are selected so as not to interfere with whatever the local ambulance communications are. So it’s a good reason, and not anything anyone can do anything about it unless all the governments agree to run their mobiles on the same frequencies.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org

The Philippines uses the EU frequencies, which is actually a good thing as long as you get the UK version of the smartthings hub as you will have a much easier time finding devices of the right voltage that match that Z wave frequency. :sunglasses: