Open Close Sensor and Lights on only after Sunset

Hi, I’m new to the Smartthings hub. Only had it a few days, and already confused by it.

I have a Smartthings Open/Close sensor on my rear doors, and an outside light plugged into a Smartthings Outlet.

I have set it up at the moment, that when the doors are open, the light/plug turn on, and when the doors close, the light/plug turn off.

This happens at all points of the day, even when it’s sunny outside which is ridiculous.

Is there anyway I can make it so that when I open my doors, the light only turns on if it’s after sunset, but doesn’t if it’s midday etc?

I know it’s probably a simple answer, but Smartthings app seems to make it unbelievably confusing.

If you are using smartlighting just scroll down the page
Which light
What to do
How to trigger

More options
Only during certain times
Only certain days
Only when mode is

Oh, can I have more than two boxes selected? So “When open” and “after sunset”, and then they will work together?

You can indeed. I have the same setup but to turn the hallway lights on when the front door is opened and after sunset.

Good news, I shall try that when I get home tonight.

Good luck. Events based on sunset/sunrise are broken at the moment.

1 Like

Oh, do events based on time at least work?

Mine are working, well unless they broke after sunrise this morning.

As long as you don’t use time and “only in these modes” where the mode is dependent on sun state ie: home night, home day, etc.

Agree with RLDreams, mine were working yesterday…

Working w/ V1 or V2?

Backend architecture on how ST receives / processes sun state changed during platform update. Apparently there is a fix that only support can do.

If V1 you are a lucky one. Mine has been broken for since platform update. I’ve placed a ticket but pretty sure V2 owners getting 1st dibs on support.

I am on V2…That explains why mine is working and not yours…

@Marty, if you are on V2 the events based on sun state should work.

1 Like

Mine didn’t work.

So I want them to come on when I open my rear door, but ONLY if after sunset, as having the lights turn on during the day is pointless and a waste of electricity.

I added a commend in “SmartLighting” that the light turns on when the rear door multi sensor opens, which works great, but the only option I could find for the sunset part was the “at sunrise or sunset” command, which when I selected it, didn’t work, as when I opened the doors at 5pm, the light still came on.

What am I doing wrong? I’m on V2. Any pointers?

keep scrolling down. under " more options" you will ( should ) see " Only during certain times" . That is where you select sunset and sunrise, any offset from them you want.

I am on v2 and no events based on sunset/sunrise work at all. I have a ticket open and all they suggested was to add an offset. That fixed the problem.

Maybe that’s why mine work. Set them up with a -30 minute offset to begin with.