Open a Drain or Pump Water out of a small Bowl?

This is what I ended up coming up with. In reality, the Home Depot bucket isn’t really necessary. I had it there to account for the lower drain valve and piping but in this case, it’s just a small hose from the bottom of the bowl.

1 Like

Ok, so I had previously posted that MHCOZY/eWeLink Zigbee relay, wasn’t a viable solution for momentary actuator control.

Relay logic typically makes my head hurt, but…

Just to clarify this, I was mistaken, due to the fact that I didn’t fully understand how the relay wiring makes it impossible for the wires to short in the event that both momentary buttons were to be pressed simultaneously.

In short, what I thought would result in shorting the relays will not, as when both are engaged, or disengaged, neither will have a short circuit:

Both legs will either be possitive, or both negative, unless only one relay is engaged.

I just thought I should clarify this, and it also demonstrates a simple enough schematic for creating a safe polarity reversing relay using common relays.

I ended up redoing this because I felt like my previous “Fill and always slowly drain” method was wasting water. I added a 12v 3/4" valve after the drain and connected that to another smart outlet and added a Zooz Motion Sensor to the fill sensor.

So when a dog walks up to the Zooz Motion Sensor, it closes the outlet drain valve(explained shortly), opens the always on fill valve for the bowl and the bowl fills to a predetermined level.

Via Automation, after 30 minutes of no motion, the inlet valve closes and the outlet valve opens and remains open until there is motion again and loops back to the first automation and 30 min timer.