Off line functionality of the V2 hub

Yesterday I had a blackout from 2 pm until over midnight because of a broken glassfiber cable of my internet provider.
I felt like a complete idiot for having automated my lights etc because around everywhere the lights were on.

I have only smart lights controlled by motion sensors and scene switches and none of these worked with the internet connection off line. How is this acceptable? Why does the smartthings hub not support the(se) simple functions locally???
This is the third type “smart hub” that I am using and I was finally satisfied with the available functionality (still believing the advertised miss directions that ST would have offline functionality).

My Sonos was still fully functional from inside my home (and why should it not, they make a good system)!!! My Honeywell system was still fully functional (because who would accept the heat going off when the internet is down)
Why do we accept this from ST???

Or did I miss a check box for “local functionality”???

A very disappointed user.

All of the devices must support local processing and you must be using the Smart Lights smart app for the automation.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/209979766-Local-processing

Here’s a list of device handlers that run locally, it was pretty comprehensive but could be out of date at this point.

SmartThings support is apparently not very helpful when it comes to confirming which device handlers are (or are not) eligible to run locally.

(No offense intended @jody.albritton, that wasn’t aimed at you but rather the official support info).

2 Likes

u can see the devices capable of local execution using their current Device Handler in the devices tab of the IDE in your location. Local vs Cloud execution. The latest firmware updates have been adding tons of local execution.

47 PM

3 Likes

Reason #164993 to use smart switches instead of bulbs.

3 Likes

We accept it because they put the information out there and it is up to you to read it. I am well aware of what my house will lack if the Internet goes down. I will be looking into a second, wireless Internet connection in at a future date.

The reason they cannot support everything locally is that there is a finite amount of processing and memory. Device handlers are very much like system drivers to a computer. It is impossible to load 100% of them into the box. Maybe in the future, they will come up with one with larger non-volatile memory and DRAM memory. But, I am willing to bet it will be a heck of a lot more expensive.

you know, something very cheap like dial up would actually work here lol. It rarely gets used and doesn’t need a lot of speed.

1 Like

Do they make dial-up, anymore? LOL. I was thinking cellular.

1 Like

ya that’s the home security trend is a cellular data but the price doesn’t match the rare usage. I was thinking of smartthings allowing a secondary wifi connection option (like my neighbors wifi as a fallback)

1 Like

The best way is they way outlined in the documentation I linked. Even you have all the right devices, if you use a custom dth the local execution stops working. By going into the IDE you can see if a particular device is working locally or in the cloud and this is what support will look at when you file a ticket about local exec.

None taken. I know that finding out the precise information you need to know can at times be frustrating. @Jim might be able to point to a doc of all local “capable” devices if such a thing exists.

I find it off putting that users rather consider a 2nd internet connection than be critical to the lacking ST local functionality. Why argue that it is not possible to put 100% of the available device drivers in the box while a reasonable person would argue that they only want their own used drivers and configuration downloaded to -and executed in- the box!?

Respectfully, there are several inexpensive home automation systems that run locally. The amount of memory required is not large. Homeseer and Vera are two examples. There may be a cloud component required to set up the initial account that allows for remote access, but all of the rules automation for networked devices runs locally.

SmartThings made the decision at the beginning that they would use a cloud-based architecture. They didn’t have to do that, but they did, and now they live with the consequences of that decision. For a couple of years they have had the best cloud to cloud integration, leading the way in that regard, but they have not provided the same level of local operation.

You can do both of those things.

Only one of those options will solve the problem anytime soon though.

3 Likes