[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

I believe they have changed again. The referenced post doesn’t match up. I see 9 connections on the side I am to solder a bunch of wires verses 8 referenced above… Thoughts?

@prayerfuldrop I cant see your picture to compare with? Can you link to the post please.

That matches the picture in my post actually - look at the one with the wires soldered on
The pin on the end is not connected and is normally a dudd - this was in the bullet points at the top :wink: .

What settings and also firmware did you use to flash? I keep getting an error that the eprom can’t accept the checksums.

@kevrowe - have you had any further luck? It appears that there was a hardware revision. Hopefully, @erocm1231 could assist with a new firmware.

I think I know the answer to this, but I’m going to ask anyway… My dad just called me and said that he just got a new router from his ISP and his lights aren’t working (obviously)… Am I going to have to reflash the H801 and run through the configuration again or is there a way I can get it on his new network?

You can just reset the WiFi on it than run through the WiFi setup again.
You reset it by switching it on and off 5 times.
Not too quick with the on/off though as I’ve done it before and it didn’t seem to work if you do it quick.
You will know it’s done as the led will change a different colour , so then power off again wait a second and back on then it should be ok.

1 Like

I have these lights with this power supply - I was trying to dim it using a z-wave lamp module dimmer, but it doesn’t work. Would using this controller between the power supply and light strip allow me to dim (without the z-wave lamp module obviously)? Or would I be better off getting something like this?

This might be a new FW issue on the Hub by my h801 is often seen as unavailable.

If I turn it on while unavailable it works perfectly. It seems really odd.

Thoughts?

Make sure device health is turned off on your SmartThings app

1 Like

Have done this. Forgot I turned it on. Thanks

1 Like

Hoping someone can help me with my setup. I have IP65 4-pin with 60 LEDs. I was able to successfully flash the H801 and i can control it from the web page. I’ve connected the strip to the H801 (my RGB wires seem to be mixed up. R=Blue, B=Green, G=Red, but it does work. IMG_0372

I have added the SmartApp and when i discover devices, it is found. I select the device, click done and then when i click Next, it takes me to a blank page. IMG_0370 If I try to click Done, i get the error “Error saving unnamed page. Please contact SmartApp Developer”. IMG_0371

I’m sure I’m missing a step somewhere, but not sure what it is.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Jeremy

Did you also add the Device Handler?

I added all the device handler’s I saw. Is there one missing?

There is a way, to make it to turn on each time, with a random color? Another cool feature would be, (Philips Hue has it now) to change colors (speed can be adjusted).

yeah you’re missing a device handler you need the
SmartLife RGBW Controller also

as well as the RGBW virtual switch one you have.
As for the wires just swap them over and you should be ok

Thanks Steve!!! That got it working! I had already figured out I could swap them. Since these are just RGB, is it still possible to run multiple strips off the same 801? I have some RGBW coming but have a couple of projects i can use these RGB strips for.

1 Like

yes you can run multiple but you won’t be able to control them separately.
Plus you need to make sure you have a suitable power supply because if you was to have say 2 x 5Mtr RGBWW strips all illuminated at the same time that would take a lot of amperage not sure on how to do the calculations you’d have to look at your LED strip ratings.

I can’t find a H801 for sale in Canada (Amazon.ca to be specific) so it looks like I’ll be buying from Aliexpress. If I’m waiting for the H801 to arrive I might as well buy the FTDI adapter from China as well.

I like the fact that this model has a toggle switch for the voltage output instead of a jumper. Is there anything obvious that sticks out that would make it a bad decision?