[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Thanks. See my reddit post here

Can you put me in contact with your light provider since you did something custom? I would like to do something similar to what you did.

@cjcharles thanks! I got a questions for @cjcharles & @erocm1231 since these are using esp8266 and supports pwm on the pin outs can we use these for digital ws2811 etc led strips ?

The ones with data line shouldn’t we just be able to modify the code to support digital leds, I’m sure allot of us would love to have digital animated leds strips vs just rgb strips! If this is already done then sorry I didn’t see anyone talking about modding these for that. But using a ESP mini I did see people doing it with those.

Thanks guys!

I was able to get the 8285 flashed and working, but having the same problem. W2 controls the white on a rgbw and W1 controls a color, The red won’t control anything no matter what wires you switch around.

Im afraid individually addressable LEDs involve significant extra complexity and would need lots of extra controlling to do anything other than have a single colour. It might not be too difficult to do, but it doesnt involve much overlap in code…

It seems very possible, I have been researching allot and seems like the ESP8266 can support this. Seems like we can use the fastled library & configure it for the different led ic drivers. Like the ws2811 etc. Where is the source for this ? I have purchased a few controllers and all seem to have esp8266. I would like to also add a web based live editing option to the code. I found two ESP based options that do it.

First one : Flicker-strip

Web editor like this here https://hohmbody.com/flickerstrip/lightwork/?browse

Second one : Pixelblaze

Esp module here seems like his specs say it can control all leds and includes level shifters to control ap102 etc. So I think we can add level shifters to the arilux. :slight_smile:

Where can I get the sketch to modify the code? I would love to add these abilities and @ the same time keep the st intergration you all have done with this here.

ESP8266 @ 160MHz
Powered by micro-USB (1.8A pass-through) or 5v back-feed from the strip
3.3v Regulator for the ESP8266
Level shifters to drive APA102, APA102C, DotStar
5mm screw terminal for attaching LED strip with 5V, data, clock, and ground
Can drive LEDs at anything from 500khz to 20MHz (selectable)
Preloaded with dozens of patterns and examples
3MB of pattern storage can hold dozens of patterns with previews

Pics of Flicker strip internals.
This one I don’t even see level shifters on it?

IMG_0160

Pic of PixelBlaze internals.

IMG_0161

@erocm1231 care to chime in on this I assume your the main dev responsible for creating the code for the initial? I would love to help & implement these features. I would also like to buy you some beer for all your hard work. My plan is to have these controllers doing year round xmas lights etc. but full digital not just solid colors.

I think being able to send live transmissions on the fly is just a added bonus. Also the ability to store custom patterns and possibly have a central db intergrated with the top and most downloaded patterns like the flicker strip.

Thank you!

The Ben Hencke device allows control via JSON, hence you can easily link it into SmartThings with a custom device handler. From what I can tell he has not released his firmware or code publically (as he is selling it), hence there would be quite a lot of work to try and replicate that! I dont know if the arilux controllers go down to 5V, hence you might also need some custom hardware.

@cjcharles The Ben hecke device ? I think I saw source for one somewhere might have been just source for the application. Not the esp device it’s self. Well I would be willing to pay something to be able to buy the code or donate for this. I don’t understand people who want to make something diy for everyone to use but then don’t want to release the code to get people to improve on it.

I’m pretty sure they are walking a fine line because isn’t most of the code used by them is open source & if you sell or promote any product used with gpl mit etc, your by law required to release the source.

I am pretty sure netgear and few others got into trouble for this. Either way I don’t understand.

Thanks

The Ben Hencke device is the one you linked above - designed on an ESP but with some small hardware modifications to ensure that the output pins are 5V rather than 3V3. You could clone the code and copy to other devices if you needed to, but you really need to make some small modifications in order to make it work with ST well. Im not sure if this is something Ben wants to do, but you could always contact him, it would be some extra configuration options you need to do. Alternatively if he has released his code then it would be fairly easy to add the ST customisations in order to trigger the lighting patterns through ST.

Open source is a complicated area, there are plenty of OS licenses that allow you to do whatever you want with the code (including sell it), so long as you list them as a contributor/helper, and some with no requirements at all! Admittedly it is hard to know for sure if you cant see the source code, but there are some libraries that are quite identifiable in their style (from the pictures of the product) and they are all fully open source.

@kevrowe - I too am experiencing the exact same issue. I have an AL-LC02, but tried the various firmware for the other models to test and nothing seems to get the sliders via the units web interface to work with the correct colors. I have several units and all behave the same. I left one unit stock and with the Magic Home app, all of the colors work just fine. Not sure what needs to be adjusted at this point. @erocm1231 - Could there be an even newer hardware revision?

Yeah I understand, I have a few of these different devices just because I wanted to see quality and design they all seem about the same & actually Room to add hardware modifications if needed.

I think we can all agree if there all using esp modules. I bet we all would love to be able to use the digital animated leds.

Colors are cool but colors with animations are better :slight_smile: I have spent hours researching all the different revisions of integrated ic leds etc. I would like to see @erocm1231 chime in here about letting us build on his code. I will contact the others and see if they would be willing to contribute also.

@cjcharles yes I agree, also I’m sure @erocm1231 built this on other open sourced libraries, I think I seen screen shots and it looked very similiarier to parts of tasmota firmware. So @erocm1231 should be fine he shouldn’t have a problem letting us all build on this code and project. If all it is are level shifters you can add them very easily.

Thanks guys!

Btw has anyone who has put digital or analog strips outside found any issues with one or any leds burning out?

this is what i do or am going to do once i get my other controllers i flashed set up, once my other led strips and connectors come in
right now i have the one H801 grouped with my hue lights and it sets everything the same color

i am just wondering how i am going to get all 3 of the H801 controllers i use on my kitchen cabinets to all initiate a rainbow fade program at the same time

i have not even set up any programs yet and i am not sure how they show up in ST, so does each program show up as a separate thing that will show up in alexa smart home?

if so i might use an alexa routine and use the trigger phrase rainbow fade cabinet lights

then add the rainbow fade program for each controller in the routine

so if i set up the programs on 3 controllers i will be able to have something like
rainbow fade loop controller, rainbow fade loop controller 2 , rainbow fade controller 3
and they will show up in alexa smart home right, then i should just be able to add all 3 to a group and set then command to turn on in the alexa routine?

So did arilux change the design again seems like a esp8285, seems like they also dropped one of the voltage converters off the w pin?

Has anyone done one of these new ones are there pin outs for flashing on the board or did they remove them? Seems like you will have to direct solder to the ESP and flash that way?

Let me know if you have flashed any of these?

Thanks!

Scroll thru this thread. There’s a post last October with a diagram that include the solder points on the esp8285. Ive ordered 4 arilux controllers 2 rgb and 2 rgbw. All hadthe esp8285.

I was able to flash all of them with the Arilux firmware posted at the beginning of the thread. But not without some frustration. You ll need to solder directly to the esp8285 pins. Steady hands ansd not to much solder. Absolutely use flux if you have.

Other than that, the flashing process is pretty straight forward after that.

My problem i have now, and one I suspect you will encounter is the DH while it works, is meant for rgbw. I had some rgb led strips already installed, and just swapped out the previous controller for the Arilux rgb that i just flashed. I was able to control on/off, brightness. But the color control is way off. Red control does nothing, green controlls red led, blue controlls green led, and w1 (white) controls blue.

I hvnt had a chance to troubleshoot yet, nor do inhave rgbw led strips to test the rgbw arilix controller/device handler. Thatll be my next Purchase.

If anyone knows a solution to my dilemma, id appreciate it!

Thanks for reply, well I was worried about it not working correctly. To me that sounds like a issue in the code for the firmware. I really wish @erocm1231 would respond with links to the code so we can start building on this. I would like to add the web features I was speaking about.

I am looking for a ESP solution based to control rgb and digital leds. Trying to keep the cost down also.

I have a h801 on the way but I am thinking I would also like to use say a H806-SB, I don’t have my hands on one yet but there is a chance it uses a ESP also. Here is a photo of it. They are the same mfg I believe making the H801.

1 Like

Hello everyone. New to the smartLife Fam’s. I have a question and hopefully you guys can help me out.
First i am using Mac Book Pro. Got me some H801’s to control my leds. I followed a guide from this post from back in march 2017 and i have gotten no luck. i get this message.

Command in terminal

sudo esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.usbserial-A904SFMB write_flash -fm=dio -fs=32m 0x00000 SmartLifeRGBWController.bin

WARNING: Flash size arguments in megabits like ‘32m’ are deprecated.
Please use the equivalent size ‘4MB’.
Megabit arguments may be removed in a future release.
esptool.py v2.3-dev
Connecting…

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dont suppose these support mqtt? I have several of them and they work great but I am moving from smartthings over to home assistant and it would be amazing if I didnt have to reflash them all.

Thanks

Hi,

In perusing the HA forums, I notice that there seem to be lots of issues in using that system.
Just as there are lots in using this ST system.

So my question: what is driving the move? Is it that HA runs locally (aside from cloud integrations like Hue and Alexa)??

Hey Glen,
There are loads of reasons to move. I was using ST when I didnt know much and was just starting to automate. On the surface the two might seem similar but HA can do soooooo much more and is very configurable, though quite a learning curve.

How about my first attempt at a ui. the lights and lamps are clickable to turn them on and the numbers on the walls are live temperature readings. No more multiple menus to switch things on. Just for an example. Other reasons are its much easier to extend, works with much more hardware, super active and helpful community (ST has that too though)

I personally have found it rock solid, and no horrible lag turning on a light is amazing. You dont think a second or two would bother you much but it really makes a difference.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind trying that.
Could that and SmartThings possibly run alongside each other and even connect to the same device simultaneously?
Do you have any links with beginner’s guide I’m curious how you go about device handlers etc as at the moment i download ones others have created.