[OBSOLETE] Smart Alarm is here

@geko. True True. But I just wanted to interject with other options which I found. Maybe it will help someone; it helped me.
Thank you Tyler of the live Tech chat at ST. This was the only thing which was working during the outages. Strange though…

So in my first test - it appears to have performed correctly. When I checked the smartapp, saw status that system was armed, got home MyQ opened garage door, no blaring sirens, then checked the smartapp again to confirm Smart Alarm was disarmed. On the way out of the geofence, I noticed the door locked, lights turned off, thermostat changed set point (probably because of ST’s work this morning). However, on the way home, while the MyQ triggered the garage door, and obviously disarmed Smart Alarm, the door did not unlock, lights did not turn on, thermostat did not change set point.

I did have to open the smartapp to check alarm status with v 2.0.0. With Smart Alarm v 1.2.1, I could open the Hello,Home dialog to see that the system was armed. Because I usually set the ST app to H,H when I’m leaving so I can check the status of locks, thermostat, etc., it was nice to have the ARMED / DISARMED notifications there. With 2.0.0 I had to drill back to the Dashboard, drill into My Apps, open SmartAlarm to get the status. All fine when stopped at a light, a little less convenient when driving.

Is that the way it should work now? Or should it report in H,H like v 1.2.1 was doing?

Notifications should work as before. If they’re not, I must have broken something. Could you check the logs for errors?

@geko

So installed 2.0 today. Everything went great with install. Armed the system… then my son came home from school today. He enters a code in the Z-wave lock, which trigger a mode change. Hello Home gives this sequence of events:

3:13: Running “I’m Back!” because family unlocked Side Door Lock.

3:13: (from SA) I’m Back!

3:13: Welcome Home! I Changed mode from Away to Home as you requested.

3:13: Smart Alarm disarmed.

3:14: Alarm at location ‘Home’! Side door: Side door

So it looks like my mode changed correctly when my son came home. Furthermore, it looks like SmartAlarm successfully noted the mode change, and disarmed itself. But then a minute later the Alarm still triggered.

Any idea where I should start with trouble shooting?

I just hit the H,H action “Good Night”. H,H showed turning on a switch, locking doors, changing thermostat set point. Here’s a photo for what I got from H,H when I triggered “Good Night!” -

Here is what Live Logging showed for that trigger -

4:40:19 PM EST: trace Smart Alarm armed in ‘Stay’ mode
4:40:16 PM EST: trace Deleting all scheduled jobs for InstalledSmartApp:

This is what the Smart Alarm showed as status -

I then triggered another action - Afternoon - to get back to Home mode, and set thermostat back to daytime set point. Live Logging showed this -

4:41:18 PM EST: trace Smart Alarm disarmed
4:41:13 PM EST: trace Deleting all scheduled jobs for InstalledSmartApp:

And H,H showed this -

I’ve got to think this is an ST issue with the lag in actions being performed. All that action did was change the mode, no thermostat set point change.

As you can see in both photos - H,H never mentions arming or disarming Smart Alarm, even though the Smart Alarm shows the status as armed Stay.

It looks like a race condition, because the “door open” event triggers both the smart alarm and the hello home. Which one wins is anyone’s guess, but most likely, alarm was triggered before the mode was changed. I’d recommend trying to designate the door as “Entrance” zone and enable 15-seconds entry delay.

Okay… I’ll give it a shot. To make matters more complicated, I just got hit with a Alarm on a motion sensor at 4:41… well after the system was supposed to be disarmed. :frowning: I wonder if I’ve got some legacy Alarm running somewhere in the background.

Apparently, sentPush() API is broken.

I’m having trouble with ha my alarm. It keeps changing modes to away while I’m home. Then when I’m home if I open a door
Then alarm goes off in home mode. Can someone help me

I’ll try turning off PUSH notification, and just set it to an SMS Text. I’ll let you know if that fixes it and allows the ARM/DISARM shows up in H,H.

Notifiacations have been fixed in Smart Alarm 2.1.0

What was the issue if you don’t mind me asking :smile:

I had to work around the problem you’ve discovered (that sendPush cannot be called during install/update) using a guard state variable. Have you heard anything back from support?

Works perfectly now! Seeing PUSH notification and H,H line item when arming status changes. AWESOME! Thanks!!!

Negative. Updated them with my findings though.

I did something similar. I just had the “inistialize” variable run 60 seconds after app install.

I’m curious how you’re arming/disarming it. Exit/entry delays are essential for traditional alarm systems because arming/disarming is typically done using wall-mounted panel. With “virtual” alarm panel that can be armed/disarmed from the mobile phone or rules based on presence, proximity, etc. it doesn’t seem to be necessary anymore. Just trying to better understand the use case for this feature.

What if you want to emulate the wall mounted panel by using a dedicated tablet? I would prefer to have an entry and exit delay.

Sure, but that’s a hypothetical scenario at this point, isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, it is.

My wife is old school and considers a security system an appliance.

I have converted a Samsung Galaxy tab 3 lite into a security panel. I have two shield icons on the home screen a green and a red for disarm and arm, as well as a lock icon for using the system lock. The tablet also does text to speech when the garage door is opened in away mode. It says please disarm the alarm. Additionally I’m using ifttt to send mode change through push bullet so you can see the current status. Big WAF on the panel.

1 Like