[OBSOLETE] RainMachine

@brbeaird, I got it working! It turned out I needed to decrease the number of programs. When it was set to 30, it was timing out and failing. Setting to exactly 7 (the number of programs I have) worked like a charm. I finally started using the IDE log and reading through the code, which tipped me off to try a few more things. FYI, for anyone with a similar problem (which may only apply to the Mini-8 for all I know).

And, for those watching at home, I went an extra step today and bridged it to HomeKit with Homebridge, since the Mini-8 isn’t HomeKit compatible all by itself. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Dan.

Sweet! Glad you got that figured out. That’s definitely an awkward part of how the logic works now, but I don’t know of a better way around it at the moment.

Hi - Are the below the latest versions and if not, where do I find them please? I feel like comments here make it sound like code has been updated more recent than what I could find/have?

/**

• ------ DEVICE HANDLER------

• RainMachine Smart Device

• Author: Jason Mok/Brian Beaird

• Last Updated: 2018-08-12

/**

• ------ SMART APP ------

• RainMachine Service Manager SmartApp

• Author: Jason Mok/Brian Beaird

• Last Updated: 2019-03-27

Those look updated, yes. GitHub - brbeaird/SmartThings_RainMachine: Integrate SmartThings with RainMachine

I honestly have not checked into this much recently to see how well it still runs, but as far as I know it’s still working.

I have a question about how this Smartthing RainMachine Integration works. If I use it to trigger a program, will the program run for the standard run time? Or will it run for the adjusted runtime based on the RainMachine’s Evapotranspiration calculations?

I think it might be part of the solution for dealing with wind storms in my area.

I need to reschedule some zones if there is too much wind during the night that zone is scheduled to run. The zone should try to run the next evening. These zones only run twice a month and wind at night is very rare here. However, just a few times each year we get an extreme storm (with or without rain) that really messes with the Hunter MP350090 Sprinklers that I have set up on 3’ risers at the top of a 40’ slope.

For now, I linked the anemometer at the top of that slope to WeatherUnderground and set up a notification to remind me to manually check the forecasted, wind speed on evenings when my sprinklers are scheduled to run.

I use drip irrigation everywhere else, so I want those stations to continue to operate normally. However, these sprinklers throw water droplets up to 10 feet into the air and, with the drop, the water droplets extend 45-50’ out. Wind will really mess with them.

Do you know of anybody that is working on Edge drivers for the RainMachine? I’ve been happily using the RainMachine SmartApp you and Jason created, but with the Groovy IDE going away, it seems we are about to lose all that functionality. Any recommendations for a path forward?

I’ll probably follow the same pattern as the MyQ Edge driver for this and the Sense integration, but it may take me a bit to get to it.

4 Likes

Yes, please! I just installed your MyQ edge solution and it works great.

I know you’ve been busy with MyQ, but still hoping you’ll have a chance to work on the RainMachine implementation soon. :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s on my list. I’ve been thinking about it for awhile. It should actually be a bit simpler than MyQ since I can have the Edge driver communicate with the RM unit directly via LAN - no need for a separate bridge server.

2 Likes

Sounds great! Looking forward to the updates. I just removed the SmartApp since it no longer works. Don’t need the sprinklers until late spring and mostly use the Rain machine app anyway, but the ST integration is nice to have!

Yep, still planning on doing it but have been tied up on other things. Also am always less motivated to bother with this one in the winter, obviously.