[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

Not sure if that’s a good idea. There’s already some confusion for users on where to look with two major threads, and a bunch of smaller ones.

No. SmartThings’ change in the newest firmware only affects certain kinds of messages received from ZigBee devices after they have been paired.

It is really important to understand that there is absolutely nothing that can be done in the device handler (DTH) code to help with pairing of Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee devices. Also the DTH cannot help in keeping them connected after they have been paired.

People should continue to attempt pairing Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee devices the “normal” way, using the “Add a thing” method in the SmartThings Classic mobile app first, and only if that’s unsuccessful then use the “catchall” method.

As for Xiaomi / Aqara devices dropping their connection, the number one probable reason for this is due to other ZigBee devices on the network acting as ZigBee repeaters that are incompatible with Xiaomi / Aqara’s non-standard method of maintaining their connection.

Most ZigBee devices that are mains-powered (plugged into a wall socket) are repeaters (with the exception of some smart bulbs such as Sengled). The only ZigBee repeater devices confirmed to work with Xiaomi / Aqara devices are XBee Zigbee modules (see here for more info), IKEA Tradfri Outlet / Bulbs, and user iharyadi’s custom ZigBee multi-sensor repeater solution. Also in theory Xiaomi / Aqara’s own mains-powered devices like the Xiaomi Smart Plug or the Aqara Wired Smart Wall Switches should work as compatible repeaters, but I don’t own any myself and haven’t read enough reports by users to know for sure.

Personally, the only repeaters I use are some XBee modules and an IKEA Tradfri Outlet, and I almost never see my Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee devices drop off the network. Full disclosure: I have moved nearly all of my home automation setup to a Hubitat hub, but the same issues with incompatible repeaters apply there as well. However, I am doing frequent testing with my 40+ Xiaomi / Aqara devices on the SmartThings platform in order to improve and update the SmartThings device handlers (DTHs).

7 Likes