[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

Yes, the MyQ Garage Wi-Fi hub can work with up to 16 other MyQ -enabled products (light controls , door openers, and gate operators). The MyQ Garage can monitor and control two compatible door openers, but a second door sensor must be purchased separately for the second door opener.

Hello, we are building a new home and would like to use two liftmaster 8500W openers. https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaster-8500w-wall-mount-opener/p/8500W As I understand they have built in Wifi and do not require the internet gateway to connect to the app/internet. Can someone tell me if these will still be compatible with this smartapp for control with my Smartthings V2 hub and ST classic app? Noob here. Sorry if this has already been answered.

I just built a new home and had two Liftmaster/Chamberlain garage openers with MyQ and Wi-Fi installed.

While the doors work fine with their own app, there is no supported integration with SmartThings. There was a skill for Alexa but itā€™s now gone. You can pay Chamberlain a monthly or annual fee for the privilege of operating your doors via IFTTT. Iā€™m ticked off that I bought these openers but not willing to trash them.

Folks here are getting Liftmaster doors to work with various additional sensors and/or buttons.

If SmartThings integration is a must-have for you, Iā€™d suggest you look for a different opener brand.

Sorry did I post in the wrong thread? I was intending to post in this thread [RELEASE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain) as I thought that it was specifically about a smartapp that was built for integrating liftmaster door openers with smartthings?

MyQ works fine with SmartThings with the device handlers and smartapp in this thread. There are two versions of the device handler, one to use without an additional tilt sensor, and one to use with an additional tilt sensor. Peruse this thread and you should be able to find anything you need to know.

Had my door miss a sensor ā€œclosedā€ status again last night. Really wish I could reproduce this so I could get some logs on it. Going to try leaving my logs running and see if I can get lucky and catch it happening.

Mine always says closing now, but my tilt switch says closed. Unusually goes away with a cycle, but not no more. Are you going to add a refresh button to try and clean? I could try and get some logs, let me know what you want me to do.

Yes, Iā€™ve already added the refresh button to mine along with a couple other triggers to periodically refresh like mode and sunrise/sunset. Iā€™ll push it out tonight.

New version out that adds refresh button. Iā€™ve also got my logs running indefinitely, so maybe I"ll be able to catch something.

Refresh no help, tried cycling door to, no joy.

Just noted date and time not updating on screen, below is from 10pm on 12/6 after a refresh and cycle.

Noted my Chamberlain app is fully functional and shows door cycled properly. Hereā€™s some logs:

Logs

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:44:30 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 589 (syncDoorsWithSensors)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:44:30 PM: debug refresh called from Garage Door Opener (b2b0af15-c044-4899-9ce9-87c67d01b1be|GarageDoorOpener|1153787)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:44:00 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 1057 (sendCommand)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:59 PM: debug Garage door close command called.

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:59 PM: debug Garage door close command called.

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:46 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 589 (syncDoorsWithSensors)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:46 PM: debug refresh called from Garage Door Opener (b2b0af15-c044-4899-9ce9-87c67d01b1be|GarageDoorOpener|1153787)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:45 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 589 (syncDoorsWithSensors)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:45 PM: debug refresh called from Garage Door Opener (b2b0af15-c044-4899-9ce9-87c67d01b1be|GarageDoorOpener|1153787)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:32 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 589 (syncDoorsWithSensors)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:32 PM: debug refresh called from Garage Door Opener (b2b0af15-c044-4899-9ce9-87c67d01b1be|GarageDoorOpener|1153787)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:27 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getAt() on null object @line 1057 (sendCommand)

7c10b219-6565-4337-b1da-442514cc59dc 10:43:27 PM: debug Garage door close command called.

Perusing thru this thread, I find person after person reporting issues. Missed events, doors showing wrong status, etc.

Itā€™s not an issue with the doors or Chamberlain. In the 6 months since we moved in and I set up the Chamberlain app, the only issue Iā€™ve had is slow notifications from the app. Never once has it shown a door as open when it is closed or vice versa.

From what I read here, linking a Chamberlain door to SmartThings is an opportunity for endless annoyances.

Am I wrong?

Iā€™ve had it working for 2 years. No annoyances. It works for me. I have 2 doors, I bought a couple of tilt sensors. It integrates with Amazon via SmartThings.

If you havenā€™t tried it or donā€™t want to use it, thatā€™s fine. Nobody is saying you have to. Brian has done excellent work and there are a bunch of people here who are happy that he has taken his time to provide this at no cost.

You donā€™t like SmartThings, I get it. Why are you here? Thatā€™s a rhetorical question in case you didnā€™t catch it.

1 Like

Keep in mind you are reading a thread whose main purpose is to address any questions or issues that come up. Thousands of people have been using this app over the last two years with little to no problems whatsoever. This is not an official integration like the Chamberlain app, but that app can only do a tiny fraction of what this SmartApp can do.

4 Likes

Thanks, Michael.

Itā€™s good to hear that this integration works! That is obviously not the impression I had from reading here. It seemed it was all dropped events, wrong state, and running to keep ahead of Chamberlain blocking apps.

I donā€™t mean to run down Brianā€™s hard work. My background is in IT and software development. I have a great appreciation for how hard it is to deal with badly documented interfaces and vendors with their own agendas.

I donā€™t dislike SmartThings! Iā€™m just getting started with HA. We moved into a newly constructed home last June and Iā€™m slowly getting started with automation. Iā€™m also discovering the reality of the fragmented ecosystems.

I have a V2 SmartThings hub. So far Iā€™ve installed one Leviton smart switch and one Samsung motion sensor. Iā€™ve got 6 more smart switches (Leviton and Zooz) waiting for me to dive into the complications of wiring 3-way switches. My Honeywell thermostats are connected to ST via the Honeywell TCC website but I havenā€™t tried any of the SmartApps Iā€™ve found here yet.

Not integrated to ST are the two Chamberlain garage doors (Iā€™m more encouraged to try this app/DTH now!), a cheap Wi-Fi smart plug I picked up to allow voice control of the Christmas tree, and two RF-controlled ceiling fans. Iā€™m also trying to puzzle out powered window blinds before we buy something else with its own niche / app (advice welcome!)

Apologies that I came across so negative. Iā€™m just frustrated at this point.

Based on those errors, something isnā€™t quite right with your setup. Could you try tapping through the MyQ Lite setup process one time?

Thanks, Brian.

Thatā€™s one of the two main problems with forum-style info for supporting any kind of software, only the problems get mentioned, not the silently happy users.

The other problem is figuring out the current state of an app. As a noob, wading thru a couple thousand posts is daunting at best, discouraging at worst.

Iā€™m happy to hear that Iā€™ve gotten the wrong impression of your app!

Is there a summary of the pros and cons of adding a tilt sensor to the doors?

I am still rock solid with zero issues. I have a MyQ Internet Gateway and open/close sensors.

1 Like

Can you expand on that, Bill? What open/close sensors?

Iā€™ve got two Chamberlain openers, each one has builtin MyQ (hub I guess). Trying now to figure out if I need some additional sensor on each door or just need to add in the SmartAppā€¦

When I build my house I installed regular LiftMaster garage door openers. A few years later I wanted to control them via my phone so I purchased and installed a MyQ Internet Gateway and new wall switches which gave me that capability.

About 6 months ago I purchased a SmartThings Hub and have been automating my home since. With that said, I wanted the ability to control my garage doors using my ST Routines, SHM, etcā€¦ I came across Brianā€™s SmartApp and purchased some Monoprice Door/Window Sensors.

Mounted them on door hinges and have been nothing but satisfied since.

1 Like