[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

I rewired my Air Temperature from Freeze to Solar and identified the source of the current value, added an additional display tile and posted the updated code (version 3.01). Please give it a try.

As for the temperature sliders, I only have IOS so I can’t try it myself, but on iPhone when you click on the slider it opens a pop-up window where you can click to adjust the temperature. As soon as you tap anywhere on the opened slider the App sends the “ThermostatSetpointSet”, even before you exit the pop-up. If the Temp set is not working then please turn Debug to “Low” and capture a log for me.

You could also try configuring one of the “Modes” to set the temperature. That would clarify if the issue is just the Android slider, versus the ZWave command being ignored.

I’ve been considering if I should add some type of schedule capability. Give me an idea of what you would like to be able to do…

What’s your thought on Chlorine control? I have an AquaRite salt system.

You did the right thing about the Child Switch Device. All you have to do is create and publish it. You do not assign it to any devices, the main PE653 DTH does all that behind the scenes.

I just installed a Pentair Tank with Stenner Pump.

I plan to run it like 30 min a day, while filter is running.

It would be nice to slave it to another channel in that the schedule would only run if the filter pump is running (and periodically check it).

Oh I moved the air temp over and it’s now working.

Takes about 40 minutes to pump a gallon of Chlorine in.

I use PE653 to switch an outlet with a 20VDC Dell Laptop power adapter plugged in to run the Stenner Pump.

Holds 4 gallons.

I just need to setup a schedule now to run it.

@CAL7, on how to delete the multi channel app, just delete each of the endpoints, and that should do it.

1 Like

@mswlogo, maybe you’re already doing this, But for anyone else who may not be aware, anytime you move or add Z wave devices, it is recommended to tell the ST hub to “repair Z wave network”. Under normal circumstances, the hub builds a “static” network map of the shortest path to each device, even if this includes multiple hops. If you move devices, the hub does not know that it should Rebuild the network map. You can easily force this operation by selecting the “More” tab, tap on “hub is online”, select Z wave utilities, select “repair is Z wave Network”. This takes several minutes, but I have seen improved network reliability following this operation.

If you are thinking about writing a smart app then I could make it easy by exposing two commands in the DTH to get and set a specific schedule.

Is this because you do not have a PE 953 remote? Or is there some reason you need to change the schedule from the SmartThings mobile app?

Will you need to change the schedule once it is set up? Or set it once and forget it?

Which circuit/switch is it that you wish to schedule?

I do have a PE953 and the filter is on s schedule. I kind of forgot about it.

But what I plan to do is shock the pool hard before I leave on vacation. That will give me 3-4 days of no Chlorine. Then I’d start the schedule. To do 20-40 minutes per day for the next 5 days. That will give me about a week.

It is on channel 4.

Anything to make it easier is much appreciated.

What I was thinking of doing is have a regular schedule active with an option to skip X days as needed.

I’ve wrote a similar script to control a valve for watering my lawn.

I thought that multi channel switch or child device would be “exposed” to any script. If not, then yeah exposing things to allow scripts would be great.

Thanks

That was easy. Thanks.

Here’s a pic of my slider. Whether I click the arrow or a temp on the mercury bar, nothing sticks. It shows the change, e.g. to 97, but when I exit, it is ignored. I exit either via the top-left “X” or just the Android “back” key - either way, no difference.

Here’s the ST log:

And, the log after doing that:

@cal7, The click on the temperature is definitely causing a command to be sent to the PE653. The command also looks good. I made the exact sale 97 degree setting on mine and it send the exact same command, but it did stick. Are you sure you have firmware v3.4? If you click the refresh icon with the debug on it will display all the version info. At least it appears clear that the android is still sending the command.

I noticed some unexpected “warn CME: CAN’T…” messages which is because you do not have a VSP. I made a change to eliminate those messages. Code now updated to Version 3.02

For the “Mode”, it does not appear you selected the “M1: Mode to change to:”. Please set it to “Pool and set Temperature”. However I suspect it will send the command, but it may not stick either. Please give it a try in any case.

BTW, it appears you are getting all three temperatures. Do they look correct? (Couldn;t believe your Solar temp was 116!

Definitely.

Thanks. I figured I could ignore them. :blush:

Fixed that and you’re right - still didn’t stick. FWIW, I’ll send a log in the morning.

Also, I need to verify the temps but they look right. It’s been a little cloudy so it’s down from its normal 125-140`

EDIT: also tried to set the pool Temp with a quick webCoRE piston and it didn’t take.

Did any previous version of the DTH stick the temperature? If so, which version?

And your 953 remote has no issue controlling the set point?

We should be able to program the VSP with Smartthings or Hubitat, and scenes as well per Intermatic support rep. The command for programing it are just not publically documented. Have you made any headway is this area?

@magicshot, for the VSP, yes the new version nails that. The old version relied on funky schedules which were incompatible with the 953 remote so they didn’t play nice together. The new version uses the same method as the remote so they are completely compatible. And yes, this functionality is completely undocumented.

As for scenes, the 953 remote is also a Z wave “scene controller”. This functionality is not part of the 653 controller but is in the remote itself. Furthermore, from everything I can tell , The remote does not accept external commands, it only issues them. That said, with the 653DTH exposing all of the functionality of the controller, you should be able to implement your own scenes using either the simple SmartThings automations or more advanced scenes Using CoRE.

a) The 953 works.
b) Pretty sure earlear version of the DTH failed similarly.

Here are a few more thoughts on this slider business. As you’ll recall when I first mentioned it, I’m not convinced this is a problem with your DTH. A reason is that I’ve seen it before in another device. Please take a moment to look at this:

If you go down to Post #8, @ogiewon gives me some code that fixed that problem. Any chance that would help with the PE653 device handler?

How do i set the RPM for each of the four VSP with the new DTH?

I have a similar setup.
I created a Webcore piston to force off the Stenner pump when the pool pump is not working.
See below the piston, where “Switch 3” is my relay 4 (DTH control) which control the Stenner and “Switch 4” is the relay 1 (DTH control)which control the pool pump.
download

I’m using the Lighting automation to control the schedule.

I installed the pump yesterday, so the things are not really tested yet.

Nice job,

I can set the water temperature in Fahrenheit, so that’s good.
However, the temperatures are still all over the place in Fahreinheit and Celsius, but it’s really not a big deal.

Here’s the issue, let’s take the pool setpoint:
When I open the device in smarthing, the setpoint is in C (let’s say 30C).
When I click to change, the slider is in F, but the minimum is 40, so if I use the arrows, it’s change the setpoint to 41F, which shutdown my heater. I can manually reselect 86F (=30C).
Returning to the main screen show the temperature as 86F.
If I refresh the screen, it revert back celsius (30C)

I’m not sure why I’m not getting the heater status, but I’m may have messed up that function somehow.

One thing I noticed: temperature updates don’t have a PUSH notification to the user interface, like the relay changes does. If I change the temperature setpoint using the remote, the changes are not updated in smartthing, unless I ask a refresh or reload the app. I created a Webcore piston to call refresh() every 20s, so that somewhat of a patch for me.

@magicshot, the DTH has never supported the configuration of infrequently changed items like schedules, VSP RPMs, VSP Speed Names, etc. To be honest I don’t know if it’s worth the effort.

Do you have any reason to need to be able to change the RPMs more frequently?