[OBSOLETE] CoopBoss is certified! Chicken coop door controller for SmartThings

Hey Tracy good to hear from you. Glad you’re still using the CoopBoss.

As things stand now once your CoopBoss is migrated to the new platform you can still open and close the coop door, see the temperature and turn on the coop light.

The auto close and auto open feature of the CoopBoss will continue to work as it did before the migration. That feature is not dependent on the SmartThings cloud.

The new interface is a little confusing as the first thing you see is the on / off button at the top. That is actually for the Coop light (the light has to be hard wired (via relay) to the Aux port of the CoopBoss). I think only a few people use that feature. But it does work, if you have one. Most people would put a hue bulb or other smart bulb in their coop. The next thing you see are three automations for the light. Just below that you find the actual door control that will open and close the door. It also auto updates the status if you manually push the physical open / close button that was hard wired to the CoopBoss. The last thing that was migrated over was the coop temperature at the bottom of the new app.

Someone other than me has made these changes and I’m doing some digging to see if I can get back in and make additions to what they have done. I appreciate their work (I really do looks like they made several changes) but I would have arranged things a little differently. I will keep you posted on my progress.

2 Likes

Just as a reference here is the official SmartThingsCommunity device type for the CoopBoss. https://github.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/tree/master/devicetypes/johnrucker/coopboss-h3vx.src
Im just posting the link here so we don’t lose track of it over time.

1 Like

Update: After several days of digging and testing with the new SmartThings development environment I don’t feel comfortable making changes to the CoopBoss DTH at the current time. I have run into one road block after another from tools still being in prerelease to broken links and incomplete documentation. I hate to complain but I fear If I make changes to the DTH as the smartThings dev platform stands today it may undo what is working.

@JohnR Hello Sir… I am a newbie to this site and and looking for some knowledge and guidance on zigbee MHZ between US and EU…

I have purchased the Anthom HOMEY automation and it is only aviable in EU. I know the difference between is 864 EU - 908 US

Since I am just setting up this system and have bought the converter plug so I can plug it in and charge it and try to set it up…

Is there a way to change the MHZ or is there a hub I can purchase to use to be able to run this device within my home… I have no problem purchasing all items from EU that run with the device…

I can not believe that it would not be possible in todays day and age to not be able to set this system up…

Cheers,
Aaron Taylor

Smartthings is a multi protocol platform and there are multiple radios inside the hub. Zwave Does indeed use different radio frequencies in the US and the UK/EU and there is no way to change the frequency after the device is manufactured.

However, the good news is that smartthings uses the “global“ Zigbee frequency of 2.4 MHz and it is exactly the same in the US and the EU.

Since coop boss is a Zigbee device, there are no regional issues.

That said, I don’t believe CoopBoss is going to work with a homey hub because it is a fairly complex device and homey support for Zigbee is pretty much limited to on/off/dim. :disappointed_relieved: so you would need to purchase the UK version of the smartthings hub to run it.

1 Like

Hey JD good to see you still doing the good work out here on the forum. Just an FYI the CoopBoss is no longer for sale. I haven’t made one in 4 years.

1 Like

Please move this conversation to another thread.

2 Likes

This forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation platform. All of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It is not a general home automation forum.

Homey is a competitor to the Samsung system so you would use one or the other. So I am afraid we will not be able to help you here.

I suggest you try the reddit home automation subforum. They discuss all brands.

2 Likes

On June 30, 2021 SmartThings is shutting down support for the SmartThings Hub (2013). This hub is how the CoopBoss communicates with the SmartThings IOS and Android app. You will no longer be able to control the CoopBoss with these apps. After June 30, 2021 you should still be ale to open and close the coop door with the physical button connected to the CoopBoss. The CoopBoss has a built in light sensor that is used to automatically open and close the coop door. If this is enabled it should continue to work after the hub is shutdown.

3 Likes

John,
Can I get this to work with the new hub?

1 Like

It should still work fine with current hubs. I believe when I certified it years ago that was with a V2 hub. That said, someone would need to write a new edge driver for it.

@Johnr
Many have asked but I have not seen a reply. Where can someone buy one of these things or you making them anymore?

No longer manufactured. If you click the buy at CoopBoss.com in the first post you see it mentioned.

That link you posted Only says…

" On June 30, 2021 SmartThings is shutting down support for the SmartThings Hub (2013) 6. This hub is how the CoopBoss communicates with the SmartThings IOS and Android apps. You will no longer be able to control the CoopBoss with these apps. After June 30, 2021 you should still be ale to open and close the coop door with the physical button connected to the CoopBoss. The CoopBoss has a built in light sensor that is used to automatically open and close the coop door. If this is enabled it should continue to work after the hub is shutdown.

See community.smartthings.com for more information on the SmartThings shutdown."

And that link provided there (decides manuals and such) just loops you right back here.

That’s why I’m asking.

1 Like