[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Hi @krlaframboise! I just installed this DTH. Changing anything in the settings (gear icon) gives me the message “Oops! Looks like you need to double-check some inputs.” Is there anything I’m missing here? Thanks!

I got it figured out. I needed to designate the alarm, beep, and doorbell tracks.

My question now is, how do I use this so that I get an audio confirmation whenever I arm or disarm my house (using a Good Night or Good Morning routine that references my SHM settings)?

You can use the Speaker Companion SmartApp.

1. Choose the “Play a notification”
  2. Choose “Custom Message”
  3. Enter the track # into the “Play this message” field.
  4. Choose the doorbell from the “On this Speaker Player” field.
  5. Choose the mode you want to play the message for from the "System
  6. Changes Mode" field.

I tried this but I got the message “This speaker can only play current selection”–it doesn’t give me the option of choosing a track number.

You need to choose the Play a notification option, then choose Custom Message and type the track number into the Play this message field.

1 Like

thanks a bunch. that solved it!

1 Like

Hi Kevin-
This device has been working perfectly for me since the beginning of the year, but it stopped working altogether. I have the current GitHub update.

I have reset to factory, re-paired. It seems to be communicating, but NO sound at all, on any track.
I reest to factory so it has the standard 5 sounds. Even outside of smart things, the doorbell will not sound.

The doorbell button is paired and I can see the “action” button flash when I activate in ST, but no sound.
ST volume is on 10 in the device.

Any suggestions?

")

Factory resetting the device has no effect on the device’s file system so if you previously deleted those files you’ll need to manually put them back.

If you’ve manually deleted any files you might want to try backing up your sound files, formatting the drive, and then copying them back. That’s the only way you can ensure that they’re assigned the expected track numbers.

I ran into the same problem with mine when the battery in the button was about to die, but the unit on the wall showed a red light.

Once I replaced the battery the red light went away and it started working again. The really weird part is that after I got it working I was able to remove the battery and it works fine without it.

I’m on an older firmware version because I purchased it prior to spring 2016 so that problem might have been fixed. If you don’t have a red light on the device that’s probably not your problem.

You can rule out SmartThings by testing it with the physical button after using the buttons on the device to set the track and volume. The button communicates directly with the device so if that doesn’t work and you’re sure the track number you set it to exists then the device is probably bad.

Hi Kevin :slight_smile:
thanks for the quick reply.
I have replaced the battery again (same as last night), reset to factory, formatted drive, copied sounds back over.
I removed the device from ST and try to re-add. Now I’m in that crazy loop where discovery thinks its the Aeon Siren Gen 5. Arrrrrg. lol

I still can’t get the silly thing to ring outside of ST either.

When I click the doorbell button, the receiver lights showing its getting signal, but no sound. I’ve tried raising and lowering volume, etc.

I’m not expecting tech support on the actual device, but just wondering if you or any others here have had any issues.
The wall unit had never been unplugged, and the doorbell doesn’t get a lot of use.

Very strange.

Kevin,
Just got a doorbell ZW056-A , added CoRE as a smart app and attempted to configure a piston to play a track from ZW056 when a ZW097 sensor (using DH: Aeon Z-Wave Reversed Contact Sensor ) is OPEN. ZW097 name = BackyardGate
I am attaching screenshots for doorbell drive content: downloaded your files and renamed a couple to a number ( kept original name for reference ) , renamed the original ones to 50+. Please confirm mp3 file name needs to be numeric only (01.mp3 or 1.mp3).

mp3_files

I am also attaching the CoRE piston configuration. I am not sure about the value I need to monitor. I remember status of ZW097 should be 0 or 1 but when it didn’t work, I tried using CLOSED ( current config/shown below) instead… still no success.
Note: I ended up switching back to Aeon Doorbell DH because after switching to the Virtual DH no sounds were played when pressing the buttons on the mobile device. With the Aeon Doorbell DH , if I press a button on the mobile device, the bell plays a sound.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

The name of the file doesn’t matter. The track numbers are assigned based on the order that the files are copied to the device.

Thanks for the reply! I deleted all tracks from doorbell, renamed tracks and added them in the order matching their file name ( 01-SILENCE.MP3, 02-Bells.MP3,…)

At least the sound to play is configured properly now, even though the CoRE piston does not play a sound when the sensor I configured it for, is open. I am pretty sure is my condition: using incorrect value. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Occasionally I’ve had my Aeotec Doorbell play the wrong track in a Rule Machine or Core automation (probably has happened a half dozen times in the year or so I’ve owned it). The track played seems to be random (sometimes it has played a track not used in any of my automations). I’m curious to know if this has happened to anyone else (I assume it is either a hardware glitch in my Doorbell or some kind of cloud data corruption issue). It’s kind of startling to hear my “aggressive dog barking” track played when I should be hearing “its time to feed the fish” played by my aquarium light timer routine.

Try the speak action instead of the playTrack action and use the track number as the message.

When you plug the device in it plays the first track and some users have reported that it randomly plays that track which is why I recommend setting it to that silent mp3 file.

Mine occasionally stutters, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t played the wrong track and I can’t remember hearing any other reports about it…

I’m assuming you’ve tested all the track numbers used in your automatons to ensure that they play the expected the track,…

I also have the first track set to a few seconds of silence; it seems like an infrequent hardware error in my unit is causing an incorrect track number to play instead of the intended one (if no one else has experienced this it’s likely not a platform problem). It happens very rarely-- maybe once a month-- yet across several automations and with several random incorrect tracks being substituted for the programmed ones.

I have had the stuttering occur once in a while as well, but now that I think about I haven’t noticed it the last couple of months (or maybe I’ve just gotten used to it).

Now that I think about it, I haven’t had that problem in a couple of months either.

Changed settings to use SPEAK and doorbell remains silent! :slight_smile:

BTW: It’s been powered for the last 5+ days and no random sounds/stuttering experienced.

I’ve attached the tracks numbering ( loaded in the order they are named) and piston settings. I even added a SMS option as a check but nothing happens…which makes me wonder if I am monitoring the correct parameter for sensor status ( it does evaluate as FALSE when gate is closed… ).

I can confirm that doorbell plays tracks configured to play when using mobile device interface ( DOORBELL =2, BEEP =4, ALARM =6)

AeonDoorbell_AudioFiles_LoadedInOrderMatchingName_10-29-17

If the SMS isn’t getting sent and you’re not seeing any errors in live logging then the problem is most likely unrelated to the device.

Try removing the doorbell action entirely and see if you can get that piston to send the SMS. Once you’re able to get that working try adding the speak action again.

understood… it makes sense! I mainly posted the question here because I am using your DH for Aeon dry contact sensor ( reverse) and thought you might know the sensor parameter (#3) value I should use in piston condition… I just came across the CoRE support thread. I will ask there too. Thanks for taking the time to reply!