[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Bottom right tile should either say secure or unsecure.

That tile just shows “–” on my device. I’m assuming this probably means insecure?

I was able to get it to a much better delay by not specifying the volume. I’m going to possibly set up a process to play a silent track and set the volume every hour in case my toddlers mess with the physical volume buttons.

That’s what mine shows, but I ignore it since my Doorbell has been working great since the first day that I installed this DTH.

1 Like

That’s probably due to the bug in the platform that was recently introduced. If you save the settings screen while live logging is open, it will log whether or not it’s secure and it might populate that tile.

So, just a wild guess that this means unsecure? :slight_smile:

Yes, but the performance gain is small so I wouldn’t worry about it.

So did it update that tile?

I installed the device handler and can trigger sounds from the smartthings app, but I am trying to trigger the sound when a flic button is clicked. I have tried turning on the device as a switch and I have tried it as a siren, but I cannot get the sound to play using ifttt. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve had good luck using the Sonos Speaker Notify with Sound SmartApp to trigger my Aeon Doorbell to play custom sounds. Lots of options in there to configure and it’s pretty easy to trigger the custom MP3s. Simply define the criteria (in yourr case the button press) that starts the action. I’ve configured mine to use a ‘Custom Message’ and for the ‘Play This Message’ field, I just enter the file number of the MP3 on the device (you can find this by connecting the doorbell to a Mac/PC using USB and browsing the storage). Select the Aeon Doorbell for the ‘On this Speaker player’ field. Good luck!

Change IFTTT so that it uses an actual light and test it to rule that out as the problem.

If that works fine then switch it back to the the doorbell, open Live Logging in the IDE, use IFTTT to turn it on, and then post the live logging data.

I cannot for the life of me get this darn thing to secure join. I’ve tried everything. Power cycling the doorbell and the hub, reset doorbell then try, exclude then include again, press button on doorbell twice and even repeatedly pressing it. Doorbell is always about a foot away from the hub when trying. Log shows it checking to see if device supports secure commands but never joins securely. Always secure commands disabled. Not only that but when I go to edit the options, the choices for logging never stick. Every time I go back in, it’s red again and none of the logging is checked. Anyone else have this issue or maybe a suggestion to get this dang thing working? I had one of these before and it secure joined first try. This one has just been a PITA and is about to get trashed. Thanks.

I tried for two days to get it to join secure. I tried all kinds of variations short of sacrificing one of my kids but never got it to go secure. I finally gave up and it is working just fine for me unsecured. I am not seeing the Logging issue though.

I’d gladly sacrifice one of your kids to get it to secure join. I’ve gotten one to secure join the first try in the past, this one is just being a PITA. I even was in contact with Aeon Labs and they couldn’t figure it out either. They’ve now told me to use the 1 year warranty to have it replaced. I’m not so sure the issue is with the doorbell though. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s the SmartThings hub that’s screwing up. I might just return this and go with a different solution.

My $ would be on the ST side that changed making in difficult if not impossible.

Choosing more than one item from the multi select fields doesn’t work in the Android Mobile App so you can only select one item at a time.

If the one that had no problem was purchased before last spring then it has the old firmware, which is what mine has, and that version doesn’t have a problem pairing securely.

@ClassicGOD recently showed me a different way to check if it’s paired securely, but I haven’t had a chance to implement it yet. Before you sell any kids or return it, can you try one last thing to rule out my handler as the problem?

Remove the device handler, factory reset the device by holding the action button for 25+ seconds, and then pair it again pressing the action button twice during the pairing process.

It should detect the device as the Aeon Siren. Then go into the device settings screen in the IDE and post what’s shown in the raw description field.

I actually have done that a couple times as well as any other combination of things, except it doesn’t detect the device as an Aeon Siren. It detects it as a Z-wave switch. If you’re wondering if there’s an s after the zw:L then no, there isn’t. I’ll remove your device handler and do it again so I can get the full raw description.

EDIT: Hilariously enough, I’ve actually broken the stupid thing now. I was trying all sorts of combinations of things and I held the button down while plugging it in. Don’t remember what exactly I did after that, but now the stupid thing won’t shut up. It will play the doorbell sound twice about every 10 seconds. Oops. Here’s what you wanted though.

Raw Description zw:L type:1005 mfr:0086 prod:0104 model:0038 ver:1.12 zwv:3.92 lib:03 cc:5E,86,25,70,72,59,85,73,7A,5A ccOut:82 role:05 ff:8F00 ui:8F00

Hello all, I know this is a crazy long thread and I might have missed something: I’m relativly new to writing custom smartapps , I was able to plod things together with the aeon doorbell using the example code here: http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-web-services-developers-guide/tutorial-part1.html (for use with an amazon iot button - see here - My Quick and dirty ST & Amazon IoT Button Integration howto )

ex: curl --insecure -H “Authorization:Bearer XXXXX” -X PUT “https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/api/smartapps/installations/XXXX/switches/on

calling it as a switch playing the doorbell tone works - using this as a template can someone point me in the right direction to call the beep/alarm tones using the much improved device handler?

thanks

so I decided to learn CoRE and did things that way, some simulated switched did the trick :slight_smile:

Newbie here, Got lots of questions. I tried to dig through the post, only confused me more.

1. I paired the aeotec but it would only report as a zwave switch. Is being Aeon Siren required?
  2. I added your DH and the device seems to work I can control the 3 options, but shows unsecure. is this going to be a problem?
  3. I want to play a mp3 when the door opens, another when door close, do I use custom code, if so how? examples please, if app is needed, CoRE seems to pop up a lot, is it easy to use?
  4. Is there any how to for dummies for this DH? I spent days trying to understand and still lost like day 1

This setup looks very promising hopefully I can get it to work as others have.

Thanks

I’m pretty sure it used to pair as the Aeon Siren, but now it pairs as a zwave switch. Usually when using a custom device handler you should add it before including the device so that it identifies as the correct device, but for this device it really doesn’t matter.

It won’t be a problem, but the response time will be about 1 second slower. You’re supposed to be able to tap the action button twice during the pairing process to make it pair secure, but that doesn’t work for most users so I wouldn’t worry about it.

CoRE is great and it’s definitely worth taking some time to figure it out, but it’s not needed for what you’re trying to do.

Create a Custom monitoring rule in Smart Home Monitor to monitor for the door opened event. Choose the Audio Notification option and after selecting the doorbell change the Notification field to “Custom Message” and enter the track number you want to play into the “Play this message”. Setup another Custom monitoring rule that does the same thing for when the door shuts.

My response to #3 should eliminate the need for this, but let me know if you get stuck on something else.