[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Should I be able to use the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell for local processing?

Is there a GitHub repository “Owner” and “Name” I can enter to make updates easier?

Try this.

Hmm… “GitHub repository krlaframboise/Aeotec Doorbell not found.” I tried several combinations of your name, namespace, and Author.

Owner: krlaframboise
Name: SmartThings
Branch: master

2 Likes

Kevin, you’re a badass. Thanks.

1 Like

Nope. Local processing isn’t available for any custom device handler, including this one.

Is there a default device handler I can use that will allow local processing?

I just want to be able to trigger specific mp3 sounds with Smart Home Monitor.

Don’t think there’s any device handler eligible to run locally that could work with this device, but @krlaframboise would know best.

1 Like

Community created device handlers can’t run locally and not all of the built-in handlers can either.

You should be able to find a zwave switch device handler that will run locally, but all you’ll be able to do is play 1 sound and you might lose the ability to detect when the button is pushed.

First - this work is fabulous - thanks!

However in the original post instructions, the “Example of empty sound file:” points (for me) at silent-track.mp3 which is a two second track with a funny four beep sound in the middle (it is very much not funny). I have the resource archive downloaded, so I have (and am switching to Silent.mp3) but what’s with the goofy link?

Thanks again for the work on this!

That link should be all set now.

That wasn’t intentional so thank you for letting me know about it.

I am looking for some recommendations for those of you using this speaker. I have a few use cases I haven’t found solutions for yet.

1. I want to get a notification on my mobile devices when someone rings the doorbell. I originally had setup “Notify me when” to send an alert when the speaker is active but I found that this ends up sending the notification anytime the speaker plays any sound, not just when the doorbell is pressed.

2. I want to setup different sounds to play for each of my doors when they are left open. The “Door left open” smartapp I am using doesn’t let me choose the sound file to play on the speaker so I guess I need a different smartapp that can.

3. I want to get different sounds to play based on smoke or carbon monoxide. So far it seems SmartThings monitoring itself cannot differentiate between these two with my First Alert Z-Wave smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

Any suggestions for solutions to any of these goals would be immensely appreciated. Thanks again for this awesome release @krlaframboise!

This used to work the way it was supposed to, but something changed within the last couple of months and the only solution I’ve found adds an additional delay of about 3 seconds.

You can use any SmartApp that supports the Music Player or Speech Synthesis capabilities. Choose the “Custom message” option and enter the track number as the message.

I believe the First Alert smoke detector creates different events, but SHM treats them the same. If you use a SmartApp like CoRE to play the messages you should be able to play a different track for each of them.

I seem to be having trouble using playTrackAtVolume() inside webCoRE. Here’s what I’m trying to do:

if
  Any of ...door_contact_sensors... changes to open
then
  with
    Doorbell
  do
    playTrackAtVolume(8, 8);
  end with;
end if;

However, in my logs when this piston runs, I observe the following:

9:31:23 PM: debug Doorbell is off
9:31:18 PM: debug Device Notification Type: 1
9:31:13 PM: debug Temporarily changing volume to 8
9:31:13 PM: debug Playing Track 8

The key part seems to be that it looks like the track playback fires before the volume is set. I’m a bit of a n00b on all this so I could be reading this wrong (or my debug logs could just be wrong). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice!

The most recent log entry is always at the top so based on those timestamps everything appears to be working correctly.

What is it doing? (Not playing anything, play at wrong volume, etc…?)

What is it doing?
It’s playing the correct track, but at the wrong (unconfigurable) volume.

From the log, it appears to start track playback, then set volume (to 8). I expect that playTrackAtVolume() would need to set the volume before initiating playback. I tried with both:
playTrackAtVolume(8, 8);
playTrackAtVolume(8, 2);
and the logs on each both correctly stated “Temporarily changing volume to [2|8]” but each seemed to play back at the same volume (and stated that playback was after setting the volume). Thanks for the reply!

The commands are being executed in the correct order, but when I added the volume related code I put it below the line that writes the “playing track” message to the log which is why the log entries appear in that order.

I just setup a piston like the one you posted using regular CoRE and everything worked the way it’s supposed to.

Please verify that you’re using version 1.13.1 of the device handler.

Some of the log entries appear to be missing and the device is behaving like it’s not paired securely so please perform the steps below so I’ll have more information to work with.

Open Live Logging and then open the device settings in the mobile app, uncheck the “debug” logging option, check the “trace” logging option, and then tap Done.

Trigger the piston by opening one of the contact sensors and wait until it plays the track.

Go back to the live logging screen and click the device name so that only the doorbell events are displayed and post all the events, including the ones that were generated when you updated the settings.

first off endless kudos for the ST work you do - having an issue with the latest DH - when beep/alarm/playtrack is triggered via core or webcore there seems to be a 15-25 second delay - I can see the “status play” sent to the device instantly in the event of playing a track - the “hail” in the trace log is when the sound actually played

ps I know it comes up a lot, I tried probably 20 times to pair it in secure mode, and it never seems to work for me, but that is something I attempted as well, thanks

UPDATE: I switched to the old “Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell” DH and it seems to be working instantly! (and that DH is good enough for me!)

The device ofte has a 3-5 second delay, but I’ve never seen a delay that bad… In CoRE and other SmartApps, not specifying a volume or using the same number that’s in the settings will knock of a few seconds.

Was that delay occurring when you used the buttons on the device details screen or only when you used CoRE? When you used the button on the device details screen, was it still logging multiple “Playing Beep Track”?

Unfortunately that problem happens even when my DTH isn’t installed so it’s an issue with the device. It seems like the problem started with firmware version 1.12 so a lot of users that have purchased since last spring have been having the problem.

That version works OK as long as you don’t don’t try to play multiple tracks close together and if SmartThings makes a change that breaks it, I won’t be releasing a fix for it.

Thank you for the donation.