Notify if lock opened with a particular code

Ah, thanks. That did the trick. I appreciate the feedback. So here’s my pretty brute-force solution to my specific need. I tried the Unlock Too program from Barry, but it was doing some odd behaviors - setting then re-setting the mode. So this just sends a message and sets your mode when a specific lock code is used.

I have an open/close sensor on my door as well, and I was pleased to see the mode change occurs in the proper sequence so the alarm doesn’t go off because of the open/close sensor… that would be an unwelcome surprise for the cleaners.

/**

• Cleaners have arrived
  • Copyright 2014 Chris Cooney
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
definition(
name: “Cleaners have arrived”,
namespace: "cooney.christopher@gmail.com",
author: “Chris Cooney”,
description: “Sends a message and sets status when a particular user code is used on a door lock”,
category: “My Apps”,
iconUrl: “https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png”,
iconX2Url: “https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png”)

preferences
{
section(“When a door unlocks…”) {
input “lock1”, “capability.lock”
}
section(“And this user opened the door:”){
input “User1”, “enum”, title: “User Code”, metadata:[values:[“1”,“2”,“3”,“4”,“5”]]
}
section(“Send this message (optional, sends standard status message if not specified)”){
input “msg”, “text”, title: “Message Text”, required: false
}
section( “Notifications” ) {
input “sendPushMessage”, “enum”, title: “Send a push notification?”, metadata:[values:[“Yes”,“No”]], required:false
input “phone”, “phone”, title: “Send a Text Message?”, required: false
}
section(“And change to this mode”) {
input “newMode”, “mode”, title: “Mode?”, required: false
}

}

def installed() {
log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"
subscribeToEvents()
}

def updated() {
log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
unsubscribe()
subscribeToEvents()
}

def subscribeToEvents() {

log.debug "Settings: ${settings}"
subscribe(lock1, “lock”, eventHandler)
}

def eventHandler(evt) {
if (evt.value == “unlocked”) {
if (evt.data == ‘{“usedCode”:’+User1+’}’)
{
setLocationMode(newMode)
send(evt)}

}}
private send(evt) {
if ( sendPushMessage != “No” ) {
log.debug( “sending push message” )
sendPush( msg )
}

if ( phone ) {
log.debug( “sending text message” )
sendSms( phone, msg )
}
log.debug msg
}

Was anyone able to get this to work with a Schlage deadbolt (using custom device type)? It appears that the evt.data isn’t populated?

Is there a way to trigger this using the descriptionText?

Appreciate the help!

I too am interested for Schlage locks

The potential problem in this above code is that the method for identifying the usedCode depends on the lock sending EXACTLY {“usedCode”:1} for code 1. If the lock sends {“usedCode”:01} instead, you won’t get a match.

The more general approach is the one used in my Home on Code Unlock Too, which converts the code into an Integer for the comparison rather than depending upon specific hard strings.

I’m interested to hear more about the problems you may have had with my SmartApp - I’m happy to fix things if htey’re broken, especially since it was EXACTLY this use case that led me to create Home on Code Unlock in the first place.

http://community.smartthings.com/t/new-home-on-code-unlock-too/4451/51#

FWIW, my backlog for this SmartApp includes a “NotifyOnly” mode (for those that don’t want to change modes), an added BatteryLevel warning before the lock actually dies out, and possibly multiple failed-attempt Notifications. There is also a request to implement code scheduling, which would add/delete codes based on a schedule…this one is a major undertaking, but it is intriguing for those who want to make sure that their cleaning people only come on Thursday afternoons, for example.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks for the great discussion so far. Barry - I took a look at your app, but it didn’t quite fit my scenario. I have several different door codes, and I want 2 of them to change to different unique modes when entered (In my case, Pet Sitting and House Cleaning), but I don’t want other codes to trigger modes. I didn’t see a way to accomplish that in the app.

I tried using the above code for my scenario, but it didn’t work with my lock due to extended metadata. Thanks to both of you I modified the code above and mashed it up a bit with Home Mode on Code Unlock Too. So far it is working great for my needs:

/**
 * Door Codes Mode or Alert
 * Based on code from Chris Cooney's Cleaners have arrived and Barry A. Burke's Home Mode on Code Unlock Too
 * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 * in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 * on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 * for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */
definition(
    name: "Door Codes Mode or Alert",
    namespace: "",
    author: "cninsd",
    description: "Alert and/or change mode when a specific unlock code is used. Based on code from Chris Cooney's Cleaners have arrived and Barry A. Burke's Home Mode on Code Unlock Too",
    category: "My Apps",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png")

/*
Need json capability to parse data for unlock as it can contain more than just usedCode data. Example from kwikset:
{
    "usedCode": 2,
    "microDeviceTile": {
        "type": "standard",
        "icon": "st.locks.lock.unlocked",
        "backgroundColor": "#ffffff"
    }
}
*/
import groovy.json.JsonSlurper

preferences {
    section("Select a door lock...") {
        input "lock1", "capability.lock"
    }
    section("Select user code:") {
        input "user1", "enum", title: "User Code", metadata: [values: ["1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10"]]
    }
    section("Notification:") {
        input "alertmsg", "text", title: "Message Text", required: false
        input "sendPushMessage", "enum", title: "Send a push notification?", metadata: [values: ["Yes", "No"]], required: false
        input "phone", "phone", title: "Send a Text Message?", required: false
    }
    section("Change Mode:") {
        input "newMode", "mode", title: "Mode?", required: false
    }
}

def installed() {
    log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"
    subscribeToEvents()
}

def updated() {
    log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
    unsubscribe()
    subscribeToEvents()
}

def subscribeToEvents() {
    log.debug "Settings: ${settings}"
    subscribe(lock1, "lock", eventHandler)
}

def eventHandler(evt) {
    def data = []

if (evt.value == "unlocked") {
        def isManual = false
        if ((evt.data == "") || (evt.data == null)) { // No extended data, must be a manual/keyed unlock
            isManual = true
        } else { // We have extended data, should be a coded unlock
            data = new JsonSlurper().parseText(evt.data) //Parse the event data
            if ((data.usedCode == "") || (data.usedCode == null)) { // If no usedCode data, treat as manual unlock
                log.debug "Unknown extended data (${data}), treating as manual unlock"
                isManual = true
            }
        }

if (!isManual) {
            // Wasn't manual and we have a usedCode	

Integer i = data.usedCode as Integer
            log.debug "Unlocked with code ${i}"
            log.debug "Listening for ${settings.user1}"

if (i == settings.user1.toInteger()) {
                log.debug "Unlocked code ${i} matches user code"
                setLocationMode(newMode)
                log.debug "Setting mode to ${settings.newMode}"
                send(evt)
            }
        }

}
}

private send(evt) {
    if (sendPushMessage != "No") {
        log.debug("Sending push message: ${settings.alertmsg}")
        sendPush(alertmsg)
    }

if (phone) {
        log.debug("Sending text message: ${settings.alertmsg}")
        sendSms(phone, alertmsg)
    }

}

So i tried to use the above code and received the following error

7:54:05 PM:
error
groovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method script14393408446811259192727#setLocationMode.
Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null] due to overlapping prototypes between:
[class java.lang.String]
[class physicalgraph.app.ModeWrapper] @ line 95

1 Like

Here’s my decent solution

import groovy.json.JsonSlurper

def code = new JsonSlurper().parseText(evt.data).usedCode
if(code == null) code = 0
def codes = [‘Manually’, ‘User1’, ‘User2’, ‘User3’, ‘User4’]
log.debug “Door Unlocked${code > 0 ?” by":“”} ${codes[code]}"

ok call me stupid but I am trying to figure out how to figure this all out. I am new to the smart anything devices and have the kwikset zwave 910 touchpad locks. I just setup a samsung smart things hub and this is my only item. While its great that it tells me if the door is locked or unlocked I more wanted to know when my youngest gets home from school and uses his code to unlock the door. As far as i can tell this thing is an app on my phone to control the hub so not sure where this code is suppose to even go. Can someone please dumb this down for me?

Welcome! You are replying to a thread which is in the archive section of the forum and is more than a year old, so most of the information in this thread isn’t really relevant anymore. Also, this was a section for people who wanted to write their own code, which I don’t think is what you’re asking about. So let’s see if we can get you to the right section of the forum where you can get an answer to your question. :sunglasses:

From what you’re describing, you’ve run into the fact that the official SmartThings integration with locks does not at present do anything with user codes.

Fortunately, there is a very popular smart app called lock manager created by one of the community members which will let you do all of this and more.

If you haven’t used custom code before, it’s pretty straightforward. Basically you just copy the author’s code and paste it into your own account. Here’s the FAQ that describes that process:

If that sounds like something you’d like to pursue, then here is the thread where you can read about the lock manager smart app and talk to the author if you have any questions:

In the future, if you are looking for functionality and you can’t figure out whether it exists in SmartThings or not, Just start a new thread in the following section of the forum and someone will help you.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/smartapps/smartapp-ideas

If you’d just like to explore what other custom code is already available, check out the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

But for now, I think Lock Manager Will give you everything you need. Just ask any follow-up questions in the author’s thread linked to above.

1 Like