Normal wall switch + philips hue + fibaro? (Denmark)

I thought I had a solution to using normal wall switches and hue. A dimmer. Like the fibaro dimmer 2 or similar.
But I then starten thinking… if the fibaro actively lowers the current to the hue lamp… like a Hue Being or similar… then that’s a bad thing.

So How can I solve keeping normal wall switches and controlling Hue lamps?

I do not want to replace the wall switches.

Hmmmm…

There are lots of solutions if you were willing to replace the wall switches. Or at least cover them.

If you are in the US, then, for example, the Lutron aurora dimmer fits over your existing switch. I have 4 of these in my own house and they work great. They are instantly understandable to guests, but they keep the hue bulbs always powered.

There is another option if you are in the US, which is to use a Fibaro dimmer 2 behind the existing switch, tie off the circuit so that the bulbs always have current, and attach the existing switch to the second input. This input does not control the current. It just sends central scene command numbers to the hub which can then tell the bulbs what to do.

If you’re in the UK, it’s much more complicated, so we do need to ask what country you are in. :sunglasses:

Anyway, those two would be the easiest for what you’ve described. Noticed that the difference between what I’m talking about here and what you mentioned in your first post is that although you are using a Fibaro, you are not using the input of the Fibaro that controls the current (input 1). You are going to use the input that only sends scene commands.

Oh, one more thing… In no case can you use the Fibaro with an existing analog dimmer.

So if your current switch is a dumb rotary dimmer, you’re out of luck. The physics are just too different.

But if the current switch is a toggle or a rocker, you’re fine.

I should also mention that there is an existing community FAQ you might find of interest,

Hi JD.

I am in Denmark.
We can buy the fibaro dimmers… and when I say buy… I mean use/install etc.
I, however, bought another brand. link here: https://nordtronic.dk/images/Manual_BoxDimmer2_98425031.pdf

Would you click the link and tell me if I can use them to control Hue lamps with existing wall switches… they’re just dumb on/off so no analogue dimmer stuff. :slight_smile:
And cheers for the FAQ as well… I’ll have a read now.

Unfortunately no. That one will cut the current to the bulbs. It’s ok if that happens once in a while due to a power outage, but if you are doing that every day, you will damage the radios inside the smart bulbs giving them a much shorter lifespan. So your already expensive bulbs become that much more expensive.

That model should be used with dumb bulbs.

Sigh…I thought the fibaro dimmer 2 and the one I linked to were the same :-1:
Good thing I can still return them …

How are they different? Where the fibaro can control hue I mean…

They are very different. For one thing, the one you linked to is zigbee and the Fibaro is Z wave.

Most importantly for your use case, fibaro has some models which can accept two switches, not just one. In those models, the second input can be set up so that it does not control the current. All it does is send messages to the hub. So that’s the one you want, because you can use it to send a message to the Smartthings hub without cutting the current to the hue bulbs. Fibaro calls this “scene control.” (This is a Z wave feature.)

So everything in the manual which has to do with the technical specifications of the bulb will not apply. You are just using it to send a scene number to the hub.

Note that you still need a hue bridge. But that’s a completely separate issue. See the FAQ on that:

FAQ: Do I need the Hue Bridge/Hub to Use a Hue Bulb with SmartThings?

Ah I see.
So in the case of fibaro’s I can use the dimmer 2 and use the 2nd channel…so to speak, to not touch current but just send a message to the hue lamp asking it very nicely to turn on or off.
I assume there’s not a switch that “just” plays messenger to a smart-enabled lamp?

The swich 2 from Fibaro… that is only On/Off and can’t control dimming etc? even though I’d only use the 2nd channel?

For the European market, there are quite a few battery operated or battery free (but not mains powered) devices. Is that something you might be interested in? You would leave the original switch in place and either put a box cover over it or a baby lock on it and leave the current active to the bulbs. then use the battery operated device to actually control the lights.

You can see some of the possibilities in the buttons FAQ. The description should say whether it is mains powered or battery powered. The FAQ is intended to only have one or two posts per device and to link to a discussion thread about the device. If you have any follow-up questions, please put them in that discussion thread or come back here and ask so that the FAQ remains usable for others. Some of them look just like regular switches.

FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings [Not all devices listed work with the 2020 Platform]

Hi there JDRoberts and everyone else this is what i am trying to do i have had my system installed for 3 years but not setup and working correctly i have recently had a burst of enthusiasm and bought a Fibaro light control unit and updated my firmware on the 20 plus Fibaro dimmer 2 units and the 20 plus Fibaro switch 2 i have and i have them all set up in smart things and google home working well the Fibaro dimmer 2 are all connected to dimmable GU10 and working great but the 20 plus Fibaro switch 2 are connected to Philips HUE bulbs and im fed up telling the family to stop turning the light switches of what is the best solution for this configuration i am in the uk and we have 2 momentary switches wired to each Fibaro switch 2 ?
I think i have read about building a software piston some were in another program but that seemed a little complicated i would be great to get this sorted while i am feeling enthusiastic to sort this out.
Cheers Juls