*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Hi,

Yesterday, the cloud-to-cloud connections with ecobee were down for a little bit more than an hour, and again My ecobee devices at many user locations (that I personally monitor) were able to recover without any issues and no need to re-authenticate…

Just like back in June last year…

The code has been proven to be more robust than the stock ST ecobee device.

You can download the code here:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store.

P. S. My ecobee Device also exposes much more features than the stock device, see the 1st post of this thread for more details.

1 Like

Hi,

I haven’t heard from you, so I assume that you’ve solved your issues.

If you’re trying to set new coolingSetpointRange or heatingSetpointRange, the new version (v5.9.9c) that I just sent out will allow you to do so.

Please follow the update procedure to get future minor updates.

Regards.

3 Likes

Your website link to PayPal isn’t working. Please help look into it.

Hi @gbenrus25,

My website usually works fine under the Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers…

Pop ad blockers sometimes interfere with the e-commerce solution that I’m using (sellfy). You should try to deactivate them just temporarily.

Try again later and let me know.

Regards.

After a few month using Ecobee 4 and My Ecobee Device I am happy I made the switch from Nest. I have all functionality of the Ecobee in ST thanks to this device handler. Also, I am taking advantage of this device by using it with ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule SmartApp and Keen Smart Vents. Developer is always quick to reply to any questions/concerns/comments.

3 Likes

I just bought the app and installed monitorandsetecobee. I thought this had the follow me feature similar to recover and that’s why I primarily got this. However, I can only get it to do an average of all the motion sensors temperatures. I need it to only use the temperatures of motion sensors that have recently seen motion (like ecobee’s follow me). Averaging all isn’t following :slight_smile:. Please how do I get this working?

Thanks

Hi @gbenrus25,

If you’ve added all your motion sensors (with both temp & motion capabilities) in the following parameter (and only in this parameter, not elsewhere in the smartapp):

• Choose indoor sensor(s) with both Motion & Temp capabilities to be used for dynamic temp adjustment when occupied [optional]

The smartapp will only average out the motion sensors that have been occupied in the last ‘x’ minutes (configuable threshold) for the setpoint adjustment.

This is done in the addIndoorSensorsWhenOccupied() method in the smartapp. You can check the code yourself… The average calculation will only take into account the occupied sensors as done in
addAllTempsForAverage() method.

Please note: MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp is a very basic version of ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule. If you want to choose which sensors participate in a given schedule during the day, visualize each room’s motion/temp values at any given time in a dashboard/config page, and have more granular control of each room’s motion/temp sensor & specify a different timeout for each motion sensor, then you should contribute to the paid smartapp instead at my store. The smartapp implements the notion of schedules & zones (composed of 1 to many rooms). So, I’m not planning to make any changes to MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule

Regards.

Thanks! Is there a way to see what the setpoint is? Is that the number to the right of the ecobee main page in between the up and down arrows?

Yes, you can see the setpoint in My Ecobee device (not the smartapp) under the ST mobile app (My Home/Things).

The DTH UI is similar to this picture :

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Look_.26_Feel

Regards.

Thanks! And is there a way to see the averaged temperature being used? Would that be the number in the centre or is that number only the ecobee temperature?

Hi, As I wrote earlier, My Ecobee device is the DTH (interface with ecobee) where you can see the setpoints.

MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp is the smartapp that does the average out of your temp sensors and adjusts the setpoints at the DTH (with a temporary “hold”). So, the setpoint in the DTH will change according to the smartapp’s logic. You can manually press the “refresh” tile in the DTH to get the latest setpoints.

If you want to have detailed notifications of the smartapp’s logic and how it affects your setpoints, just enable the detailed notifications in the MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp smartapp (last page) and indicate “yes” to send Push Notifications. You can also see the logic running under the IDE at

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs (you may want to use the right shard here)

And, as I wrote earlier, if you want a dashboard and config pages that allow you to visualize all your remote sensors and the average temp differential used to change your setpoints, then you’d need to contribute to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapp at my store…The paid smartapp will show you all the relevant stats.

Regards.

How does your smartapp work with ecobee’s ac overcool feature? I’ve found that the humidity gets pretty high at night which makes it pretty uncomfortable. I set the ac overcool max on ecobee to 2F to help w/ reducing the humidity (don’t have a humidifier yet) and when I run it by itself, it works pretty well.
Would the AC overcool work with your smartapps or is there a smartapp that replicates this (so rather than using outdoor humidity, it uses indoor humidity to determine whether to keep cooling).

Hi @gbenrus25,

The AC overcool is an ecobee firmware feature. So, my smartapps will not interfere with it as it’s inherent to the thermostat’s behavior.

For more explanations on the AC overcool feature, refer to

https://www.ecobee.com/2015/05/feature-friday-ac-overcool/

P.S. If you have an humidifier and/or a dehumidifier connected to ecobee later,you could use the MonitorAndSetEcobeeHumidity smartapp to monitor and control your indoor relative humidity level.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=MonitorAndSetEcobeeHumidity
Regards.

I’m still not sure this whole “follow me” is working for me. I changed one of my motion sensors to have a very high temperature (86F) while my Ecobee had a temperature of 73.4F. My home auto thresholds are at 71F and 76F respectively with the setpoint at 73F. Thus, the average temp is 79.7F and I’d expect the offset to be at 79.7F - 73.4F = 6.3F and the new setpoint to be at 73F - 6.3F = 66.7F. However, my ecobee isn’t cooling any further even though it’s set by MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp.

Looking at the logs, I see that it correctly calculates the average temp. However, there is no log about an offset or the like so I have no idea what’s happening. Also, the my ecobee device ST UI has the setpoint set to 73F. I also looked at the history of the logs and even though different rooms have had different temperatures, the setpoints have never deviated from 73F.

Any advice as to what I might be doing wrong?

Hi,

There is a input parameter in the smartapp that sets the maximum temp adjustment (by default, it’s 5F). It’s called max_temp_diff in the smartapp. So, if you want to adjust the temp for more than 5F, you’d need to set it up accordingly.

BTW, MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp will not adjust the setpoints in ‘auto’ mode, only in ‘cool’ and ‘heat’ modes as the ‘auto’ mode is more complex to tackle. Only the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (paid) smartapp is able to adjust the setpoints in ‘auto’ mode. as it includes the special logic to do so.

The smartapp has been used by many ST contributors, so I don’t expect any issues at this point with the setpoint adjustment logic.

If you have any issues with the smartapp, please contribute to one of my support packages, and I will look into it. You’d need to send some detailed logs (just for the smartapp) to services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

Regards.

EDIT: MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp’s latest version (v3.4.9) should work in ‘auto’ mode. Again, MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp is a basic version of ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule. If you want more features, please contribute to the right smartapp at my store.

That’s very disappointing to hear. I only use auto mode and when you advertised MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp having the “follow me” feature, you didn’t say anything about it not working in auto mode (or only working with the paid smartapp). I’ve been struggling to understand what’s been happening throughout this week and why it hasn’t been working based on your responses. It’d have been way less time consuming for me if you had made this clear. And as I said earlier, that’s the one reason why I needed more complex ecobee ST controls and why I got your app in the first place.
You definitely need to make it clear what your different smartapps do since people are actually paying now. You need to make it clear that MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp had limitations and make clear what those limitations are. Paying customers are owed that.

1 Like

I’ll try the new version. Thanks.

I thought auto mode was the main way people used the ecobee. In fact, I thought that was a big attraction of smart thermostats as it gives a range vs the thermostat trying to reach a specific level.

Auto mode should be used only in some states (and at some specific times of the year) in the US or Canada where it’s cold in the mornings and hot in the afternoons (in the same day), ex. Arizona/Florida in the winter/spring/fall.

Elsewhere, it’s more efficient to set the thermostat to cool or heat.

Regards.

1 Like

Another option you could do if the app update doesn’t do the trick is to have webCore flip between heat/cool based on some external parameter (i.e. temp from Weather Underground). I wanted to use Auto with Ecobee also but I found too many cases where I wanted the heat and cool set points too close together which risks toggling the AC compressor a lot.

Just a heads up, I get an “unexpected error occurred” when I run the new code. When I revert back to the old, it works fine. Seems it has something to do with the if (ecobeeMode in [‘cool’,‘auto’]) . When I revert that back to if (ecobeeMode == ‘cool’), it works fine.