Hey there everyone. So I have finally dipped my toes in tot he home automation arena and wanted to get opinions on setup and what can or cannot be done. As an IT professional i thought this would be fairly easy but with the amount of products available its quite difficult to decide on what to get.
So I picked up the ST Hub a couple of weeks back and have bought a few lamp lights for the interior of the house which we are waiting to receive. Outside of that we have not purchased anything else as we are a little overwhelmed on what to buy and which products to choose. I wanted to first ask to make sure what I am wanting can be done and thoughts on what to use.
So what I would like to automate:
- Garage door, open and close on its own upon arrival and leaving and can be remotely closed if left open
- External door locks front and back, open if near.
- Thermostat, I know these are available but after research there just seem to be so many to choose from, any real use advice would be appreciated.
- Home theater, after research I would like to use an Amazon echo to control my upstairs theater, turn TV on music on etc, as well if possible to control TVs in another room downstairs. My receiver, Denon network receiver 2112, in my theater has 2 zones with the 2nd zone controlling speakers in the lower level. Not sure if its possible to automatically turn these on.
- Outside lighting being able to remotely turn it off and on, thoughts on lights to use outside
- We are also looking to buy cameras on the outside of the house.
I think these are the main things we are looking at but I am sure there is something else I am forgetting. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this as well as any thoughts or help on this.