New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

New user that just started the journey with SmartThings. I am struggling with SmartThings reporting to Alexa and initiating a command. The scenario is:

1. Open a door with a SmartThings multipurpose sensor attached
  2. Alexa routine created to say, when the door (sensor) is open, “The kitchen door is open”

I installed the sensor, configured, built the routine in Alexa. However, when the door is open, it can take anywhere from 90 seconds to 15 minutes to trigger the response in Alexa. I have tried both “say” and “announcement” in Alexa using only an Echo Dot.

I read there is a work around with a Smart App but unfortunately I only have the new/current SmartThings app. The workaround calls for the Classic app. I tried a virtual switch but had same result. Is this a configuration issue. Alexa issue? Or a user issue?

Can someone please help me. If there is a solution and/or fix, please let me know and point me in the right direction. From what I have seen so far, I like this platform. But if there are major gaps with Alexa voice and SmartThings, I need to look elsewhere.

1 Like