New Health Check statuses on the IDE

You may have noticed over the last few days that you are seeing new device statuses for some of your devices connected to your SmartThings Hub. We have started to roll out a new service we call “Health Check” to everyone. We wanted to let you know about some of the details of this new service so you know what it is and what it means to you.

If your device is showing Online, Offline, or Hub_Offline on graph.api.smartthings.com, you are seeing the Health Check capability, which monitors the connectivity status of a device. We are making the Health Check capability visible on graph.api.smarthings.com to provide a more granular visibility on the state of a device to the developer community. Some troubleshooting of the device or Hub may be required to restore functionality if the device has an Offline or Hub_Offline state.

The following device types have this additional online/offline device check capability:

• SmartSense Motion Sensor
  • SmartSense Multi Sensor
  • SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor
  • SmartSense Moisture Sensor
  • SmartPower Outlet
  • SmartSense Temp/Humidity Sensor
  • OSRAM Lightify LED On/Off/Dim
  • OSRAM Lightify LED RGBW
  • OSRAM Lightify Tunable 60 White

Note: The Health Check feature was enabled September, 2016, and ONLY newly paired devices will show these new statuses. Devices from the list above that were paired prior to that time will not have the Health Check capability and will continue to report Active or Inactive in the IDE. We do plan to incorporate devices already on the platform once we let this change soak in production for a little bit. We will follow-up with another announcement when we do.

At the moment we do not support the addition of this new capability to custom device types. We will be expanding this in the future though, so stay tuned for that!

For more information please see the support knowledge base article.

14 Likes

Well you answered my question in the last line. I’ll wait for that to be published. Great initiative!

3 Likes

This is a great development! I can’t wait for Jasco/GE switches to be included. It is so annoying when these (as in other devices to a lesser extent) drop off.

The next thing you need to add is automatic or semi-automatic healing. This is what Vera does now.

5 Likes

Thanks @slagle. Saw this a while back, so good to see more info.

Out of curiosity, how long should a device stay in “VERIFYING”? I just installed a new SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor about 3 hours ago, and it’s still in VERIFYING. The device works perfectly and reports back to ST just fine.

three (out of 29) st motions, that were initially joined at least a year ago are reporting “online”, interesting @slagle ?

Oh, yea, OK so as cool as this is, what are you going to do with it?

1 Like

For this, I’m assuming you are referring to the “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” DTH and not the deprecated “OSRAM LIGHTIFY LED Tunable White” DTH as the one with this update?

I know this is in early development but is there a way to see it in the ST app instead of IDE?

1 Like

2 Likes

I will take that as a “I hear nothing. I see nothing”. :disappointed:

4 Likes

I assume this has been updated to include previously paired devices since I am seeing all my Smartthings, Philips Hue and Lightify devices as “Online”.
Any outlook on if/when this status will be available on the SmartThings app?

Mine aren’t yet.

If a custom DH defined the capability and reported the event, would that be used by ST?

1 Like

Hi @RBoy, yes it does. I modified a few of mine already, specifically DH’s for my Mimolites. I have one failing and just a couple days ago it went offline. Once I cycled power to the device it came back online. I assume that status then becomes “usable” via a SmartApp.

Here’s one of mine using HC:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-mimolite-garage-door-controller.src/my-mimolite-garage-door-controller.groovy

3 Likes

Hi there,

Can anyone let me know how to get the Smartthings devices up from the offline status?
My hub is online but the device status on the IDE says they are offline. How do I make them online? What is the troubleshooting needed?

Thanks,
Amrutha

Reseat the battery or in some circumstances reset the device and add the device back using add a thing option.

Is there any way you can subscribe to Health Check status changes for devices, so that you get a notification when they go offline? I’d like to have a basic smartapp that sends me a notification when my Smartthings devices stop responding … again…

3 Likes

I use this smart app for that purpose