Nest vs Ecobee 3 vs Z-Wave Thermostat

I think I like the ecobee the best! The API makes it even better (although Nest has an API).

1 Like

Not many people know about this website yet but SmartHomeDB is a project looking to create a graph of all smart home devices and products.

They have a category for Thermostats that you can compare them all in one place instead of having to find them on Amazon or other smart home shopping sites.

http://www.smarthomedb.com/product/searchlist?filterName=Category&CompanyNameRef=&Category=41&Features=&Software=&Connectivity=&PowerSupply=&Price=0,2500&Reviews=0,31463&Star=0,5&CompatibilityCount=0,237&productSort=Review%20DESC&productShowColumn=OSCompatibility&R_Category=OR&R_Software=AND&R_Features=AND&R_Connectivity=OR&R_PowerSupply=OR

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks! Thatā€™s a very useful website!

On Smartthings V2, Constant disconnects. Worked fine when it worked. But having a disconnect every other day killed it for me.

Vera UI5 works perfect with it however. UI7 drops it like no tomorrow though. Read some Amazon reviews on it, I wasnā€™t the only one with drops.

Dangā€¦ Iā€™ve been running mine for a about 3 months now and no problems at all. HA is so weird. A setup will work perfect for one house and not work at all for another.

Yeah, I am really thinking it has to do with the exact number of devices and the types of devices. BTW, another strike against the Honeywell, no support, at all. Itā€™s a contractor model and Honeywell will not provide any support for it.

My hub was literally 10 feet away on the other side of the wall. I have completely started clean half a dozen times now and the thermostat reacted the same. I finally gave up and am giving the Ecobee a spin. I really like it, much more so than the Nest in most respects.

I had a bad zwave switch that wreaked havoc on my network. It was almost impossible to find too. I had to airgap some 50 devices and slowly start adding them until the issues appeared. So when this thermostat issue appeared, sometimes you have to cut your losses.

Has anyone heard of Carrier? My electric company provides free Carrier thermostatsā€¦ but they can control them between 2-6 PM in the summer :scream:. Heres the link: https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Efficiency/Programs/EnergyEdge
Update: I figured out you can override their changes but thats still creepy. I wonder if itā€™s built into the thermostatā€™s firmware.

set a firewall rule on your router and they cant. Just figure out what IP range they come in on and do a block

Thatā€™s a good ideaā€¦ but I wonder what they would do if they can not control it.

My electric company offers something similar. They offer a slightly discounted rate for the ability to cycle the AC compressor off during certain peak times during the day. Block it - no discount.

I figured they would do something like that. I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to sign up for it.

I too looked at the Honeywell and before anyone buys a Honeywell I recommend reading customer reviews about their service. Everything I read said unless you buy it and have it professionally installed from an AC company they arent very helpful and the warranty is considerably shorter.